Changes in required scores for scholarships?

<p>I was just notified by a friend that Auburn has discontinued its free ride for National Hispanic Scholars, as Bama did last year. In addition, they have raised the threshold score for their Presidential scholarship on the ACT to 34 and the SAT to 1490. I am assuming that the latter is CR+M.</p>

<p>Anything in the wind at Bama about a similar move? Hope our donor pockets remain deep!</p>

<p>I’m going to UA starting this fall on the presidential scholarship and neither my SAT nor my ACT scores were that high. They weren’t far behind, but they weren’t quite there. If that happens, will I be grandfathered in?</p>

<p>Also, I saw the Houston-area recruiter today and he didn’t say anything about it. Some friends talked to him about their chances of attending so I’ll ask and see what they know.</p>

<p>Anyone who has been awarded a scholarship is “grandfathered” in IF the school raises req’ts for FUTURE applicants.</p>

<p>You come under the scholarships that were offered WHEN you applied. Those scholarships can’t get worse…they can ONLY get better (such as when Bama increased the Presidential to cover 20 credits per semester…everyone got that). </p>

<p>that said, we haven’t heard that Bama will be raising req’ts for scholarships…however, they usually get reviewed around this time. The “final decision” will be in place when application season opens in July or so. </p>

<p>it doesn’t surprise me that Auburn is raising it’s req’ts. It changed req’ts last year as well. Auburn just doesn’t have the same amount of money/donors that Bama does. </p>

<p>Auburn has also made its OOS NMF and NA scholarship competitive instead of being automatic. I imagine that means that SAT/ACT scores will also get considered.</p>

<p>and, now OOS students need an ACT 34 for Presidential…which is only about 2/3 tuition.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.auburn.edu/scholarship/academic-scholarships.html[/url]”>http://www.auburn.edu/scholarship/academic-scholarships.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>^^^Whew, I thought OP was saying Bama raised its Presidential ACT cutoff to 34. That would cut out a lot of kids from our home state.</p>

<p>Thanks m2ck. Had me worried for a minute there.</p>

<p>I work my butt off to get my ACT from a 29 to a 33 to qualify for Bama’s pres. scholarship… Now this thread scared me</p>

<p>29 to 33? great job! how did you do that? that is a pretty big leap!</p>

<p>khh…</p>

<p>Don’t be scared. The changes were to Auburn’s Presidential scholarships…and they’ve been changing them a good deal for the past 2 years. </p>

<p>Bama’s Presidential hasn’t changed in years…so I think you’re safe! :)</p>

<p>Congrats on the huge increase!!!</p>

<p>Wow!!!</p>

<p>Auburn also changed their National Merit Scholarship for OOS students. Now it is competitive instead of automatic and only covers 2/3 tuition + housing + stipend.
It used to cover all of the tuition. For instate students it covers all but meal plan.</p>

<p>The regional rep from U of Alabama told me that scholarship criteria would not be changing for 2012 HS graduates. I spoke with her directly at a college fair here in Indiana. She said they should remain the same for at least the next two cycles. hope she was right!</p>

<p>PinotNoir, I hope your contact is correct. Mine will graduate HS next year and Bama is her first choice.</p>

<p>Great news, PinotNoir! I had confidence that this grass roots network would ferret out some information.</p>

<p>*She said they should remain the same for at least the next two cycles. hope she was right! *</p>

<p>That totally sounds right when you think about Bama’s goals…they want to grow enrollment and they want to increase in rankings, so they need to continue offering big bucks merit scholarships.</p>

<p>This news either means AU is hurting financially, or is doing so well with attracting the top students that it feels it can afford to be less generous. Or maybe some of both?</p>

<p>With as many big money boosters as they have that are currently under indictment or soon will be it comes as no surprise. </p>

<p>Football recruits are expensive and they have to get the money from somewhere :-)</p>

<p>The Alabama senate is doing them a huge favor by blocking Lowder’s re-nomination to their BOT. I can’t believe Bentley ever approved his nomination in the first place.</p>

<p>The bottom line is that AU doesn’t have Dr. Witt, his master plan, nor his ability to get big donors to underwrite these massive scholarships.</p>

<p>Until last year, AU typically only awarded about 50-60 National scholarships. When it did its “big recruitment” starting about 18 months ago, it ended up with about 130 NMFs and also some NAs and NHs…which they were excited about, but probably resulted in a rather unsustainable position. Something like what Bama experienced a few years ago when nearly 100 NH students enrolled in ONE year. Bama then added the ACT 32 req’t, which dropped the number to an affordable one, then the numbers started rising again to an unsustainable amount, and then Bama had to drop it. AU is dropping it for this next year.</p>