Changes to IHP, FL questions

<p>My D took the French CLEP today and scored a 59 (much to her dismay), so she would be granted 11 hours of FL and placed in French 202 if she uses her CLEP score. We are trying to hash out the best course of action. She said she wishes she could talk to an advisor, but I told her we have CC. :)</p>

<p>Seems like one of her decisions is whether she will actually do the IHP. We tried to pull it up to check the requirements, but found this: [Honors</a> College - International Honors Program](<a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=international-honors-program]Honors”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=international-honors-program). So there are changes coming. Does anyone know what they are? I am assuming that 14 credits of FL are still required. </p>

<p>If she doesn’t pursue IHP, I assume she could just use 8 of the 11 credits and fulfill her FL requirements for her major. Because she is bumping up against the 45 AP/CLEP credit max, we are trying to use the credit wisely. </p>

<p>My latest thought is that if she stays in IHP and would need to take French 202, then perhaps she should go ahead and take the language placement test at BB. If it places her in 202, she could take it and then petition for the 11 under-credits, right? And those would not count against the 45 credit limit, which would free that up to use all of her AP credits. (If she had scored a 62, she would have taken the 14 credits and not looked back, knowing that she wouldn’t need to take any more French).</p>

<p>She also suggested finding it nearby and taking it this summer, but it doesn’t seem to be offered at any of the nearby JUCOs during the summer. She was already happy with her proposed fall schedule and doesn’t want to ‘give anything up’ to add the French class in, but feels that she would need to take the class right away before her French gets cold. </p>

<p>Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? Also, does anyone know the format of the placement test? I assume it is computerized? </p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>can she study and retake the clep - even if you have to pay for it, it would probably be worth it.</p>

<p>You have to wait 6 months. It was frustrating for her because the test conditions were less than ideal and she doesn’t feel at like she did her best. Also, they gave her information that shows that College Board recommends two years of French credit for a 59! But UA, like many other schools, want a 62.</p>

<p>well than can she retake it in 6 months?</p>

<p>Probably will have gone in a different direction by before then… this really affects her Fall 2012 choices. And I think one of the most important factors is staying with IHP,</p>

<p>On the website it says the streamlined requirements will be announced in the next few weeks, which should be before she goes to Bama Bound. If they’re not up in a few weeks, you could e-mail Fran O’Neal and ask specifically about the language requirements. If I had to guess, I’d guess they were reducing the time requirement abroad rather than the amount of language study, but who knows? Maybe you could look for an online course that UA would accept. That might be easier on her summer schedule than a CC course.</p>

<p>We’ve been thinking about that. Do we contact the Registrar to see what is acceptable for credit?</p>

<p>On the bright side, she did well enough to test out of 3 semesters of college French and should be congratulated for doing so. :)</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the current IHP requirements do not require 2 years (4 semesters) of the same foreign language. Dr. Oneal wasn’t able to answer me at the time, but one could likely petition for a Native American language course to be put towards the requirement and have something unique on one’s resum</p>

<p>You are right, Sea_tide! </p>

<p>I did confirm that IHP is not changing the FL requirement. </p>

<p>We are looking at D taking the Placement test so that she can enroll in whatever class she’s placed into and then get the underlying credits and not have those count against the 45 hour AP limit. </p>

<p>Does anyone know the policy if the placement test yields a different result than the CLEP test (either up or down)? Does one override the other or can you choose which one to follow?</p>

<p>Dr. Oneal is in Costa Rica right now, so she’s not available. She probably was very focused on that student trip the last few weeks, so maybe once she’s back, she’ll provide more info about the changes.</p>

<p>Does anyone know the policy if the placement test yields a different result than the CLEP test (either up or down)? Does one override the other or can you choose which one to follow?</p>

<p>The max that the placement test will do is place you into a 3XX class. however, you’re not given the lower credits until after you pass a 3XX class.</p>

<p>For your D, that would mean that she gets the CLEP credit for 3 semesters, and if she’s placed into 3XX and passes, then she’d be awarded credits for 202 (the class that CLEP alone would have placed her into).</p>