Changing College List Categories from Reaches/Safeties to Unlikely/Extremely Likely

Probably the best thing to do to help the mental health of the students in the chance me threads is to eliminate the chance me threads.

That is one area I generally avoid, and the one that always gets brought up when people talk about what a toxic environment CC is. Which is a completely inaccurate view overall, but the one that you get if all you do is peruse the chance me threads.

1 Like

Is the toxicity of CC really emblematic in the “chance me” threads or is it all the threads of “I have an unweighted 4.0, 1580 SAT, I’ve taken 50 AP/dual enrollment classes, I’m a starter in 5 varsity sports and am an All-American in 3 of the them, have published 20 papers in peer-reviewed journals, founded a nonprofit that raised $300k, and am a finalist for the Nobel Peace Prize and I’m not sure if I’ll get in anywhere good or…chance me for HYP?”

I think one of the benefits of CC is helping students develop balanced lists of colleges to consider. Some families may not have the capacity to do this, and many schools (particularly public schools) do not have college counselors on staff who have the capacity to do this either. Thus, I think of the lists brainstorming possibilities of colleges for students to consider as a type of community service.

Then there’s also the type of service where you have the “typical” CC student posting with their 20,000 accomplishments but then who have a very unrealistic perspective of their chances. For instance, the student may well get into all of the colleges they apply to, but to consider a T5 or other highly ranked school as a safety or even a match is just setting up the student for likely disappointment. Those students need a dose of reality.

Or is your suggestion that the “College Search & Selection” remain and families can post threads there if they need individual help, but that the section “What Are My Chances and Matches?” should be eliminated. Having written all of the above, I have a feeling its this last one. :slight_smile:

I think the proposed terminology can be very useful to parents when going over The College List with their kids and discussing admission chances. Whether or not the terminology is useful in the Forums is another matter. Definitely will confuse people. Maybe it will catch on after a while?

2 Likes

Definitely I meant the last one. And my original comment was a bit tongue in cheek, the “Chances and Matches” category probably needs to exist, because if it isn’t there the same posts will come in, just in a less organized fashion.

I used CC pretty extensively in crafting a list for D21, and found the insights on here very helpful. I also used it extensively for my recruited athlete, S19. Completely different set of issues, completely different set of people helping, but both were invaluable.

But the “I’m perfect, chance me” and the fact that people who have no idea still giving their opinions on the chance me threads is what I think is unfortunate. And to the outside public who only flits on here briefly, that is a lot of what they see, it certainly is what gets reported on. The reality is often somewhere in-between the answers that people give. No, you aren’t a lock for an Ivy unless your dad’s name is on the brand new science center and you are a multisport all-state athlete valedictorian with perfect scores. It also isn’t a lottery either, plenty of kids have chances that far exceed the single digit official acceptance rates.

I think there are a lot of helpful, nuanced replies to the questions mixed in too. That is where the real value is I think. Because even if you type in 2 pages of background info, that still isn’t enough for me to really give you a “25% chance” type of an answer. There are so many unknowns. My D who was applying to selective schools got in ED, so I don’t really know how accurate we assessed things for her list, but I feel pretty confident that she would have had several acceptances (and a few rejections) on the list. The advice we received on that front was helpful. What was FAR more helpful, though, was the answers to questions like “she really likes Rochester, who else is like that?” and “she loves Amherst, who is similar but easier to get into?”

Just my 2 cents. I get their value, I just think they are problematic and I don’t really know how to fix that.

4 Likes