Changing major after getting admitted

<p>I got accepted from Dwight Look College of Engineering with computer science major few days ago. However, I just realize that computer science at A&M is not as good as other universities. I want to change it to computer engineering now. I haven't responded the acceptance letter yet. What are you thinking about my situation? </p>

<p>The reason I haven't responded is that I am waiting for UT Austin decision. I want to study computer science there, but I may not get accepted from them. I applied for Texas A&M College Station and UT Austin.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>There is no computer science program at Dwight Look. </p>

<p>If you want to attend UT, just accept CAP if you don’t get in. Next year with a 3.2 or higher from UTSA you will be guaranteed admission. They also don’t care whether you did well on the SAT or had a good high school GPA. So, good luck on whatever you decide.</p>

<p>This is what I applied:</p>

<p><a href=“Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life”>Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life;

<p>When I filled out the application, I saw computer science option. I am a transfer student, not a freshman. I don’t know CAP can apply for transferring or not. I got 3.9 GPA. I’m finishing Calculus 3, COSC 2436 and some other courses. I will get associate degree after this semester (Fall 2013). If you need all my information to consider advising me, I will tell you specifically. I really appreciate your help.</p>

<p>By the way, the reason I want to change my major at A&M is that they did not accept Calculus 3, COSC 2436, 4 of 5 courses I am taking now.</p>

<p>My mistake, I was under the impression that only EE & Computer Engineering were a part of Dwight Look. I didn’t realize the Department of Computer Science and Engineering was also a part of Dwight Look. It is a great program check out the CVs of the faculty. </p>

<p><a href=“Computer Science and Engineering | Texas A&M University Engineering”>Computer Science and Engineering | Texas A&M University Engineering;

<p>Regardless of your SAT score and GPA, if you did not apply as a freshman to UT, then I think you are out of luck with CAP. It is the easiest way, that I know of, to get into UT for those with low SAT / GPA in high school. A&M does not have such a program, so you are quite lucky (and good) to get in.</p>

<p>Yes :slight_smile: You know why I want to change my major now. I think computer science is not the major Texas A&M focus on. Is it possible to change?</p>

<p>Transferring within the Look School is not usually a problem if you do well at A&M. </p>

<p>However, take a look at where the faculty did their PhDs in the Computer Science Department, UIUC, Georgia Tech, Caltech, MIT, USC, CMU, Harvard, Cornell, UT, Columbia and all the top international European, Chinese, Korean and Indian universities are strongly represented. In addition, A&M spends ~50% more than UT on research. So, I bet it will be easier to get research internships at A&M than UT too.</p>

<p>Don’t place too much emphasis on the various rankings out there. The CS program is good and ranked respectably. The info that perazziman cites clearly shows CS is a focus at A&M but it certainly isn’t the only focus.
Take a look at who hires A&M CS majors. It is a strong list.</p>

<p>I agree with WAPacker. My advice would be to attend the university that gives you the best financial aid. Academically there is not a huge difference between them. Nobody is going to hire or give you admission in grad school because you attended UT and not A&M or vice versa. Also if you have a distinct preference for city life (UT) over suburban life (A&M) then factor it in. Good luck.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your advice, WAPacker and perazziman. My counselor said, “The most important thing is you can graduate, no matter which university you choose.” </p>

<p>Yes, financial aid is a priority in my list to choose school. I am planning to get some loans and pay back after graduating.</p>