Chapman Class of 2027 Official Thread

This is the official discussion thread for Chapman Class of 2027 RD applicants. Ask your questions and connect with fellow applicants.

1 Like

My DD is in at Dodge for Animation – I’d love to connect with folks also in the Film/Animation program. Additionally, we were going to fly out for Easter but are now rethinking to be out there for Accepted Students day on April 1. Is anyone else going to attend that event?

1 Like

DD deferred from the EA pool so waiting for the results of RD decision. Applied to their Ceative producing program. So no intention to go to the accepted students day right now. We went to the DePaul’s one in Chicago this WE and will go to Emerson’s one February 11th. Really don’t know where DD will go next year… I frankly encourage you to go to those special events each time it’s possible and especialy when there is some hesitation between several institutions. It gives a lot of information. It’s funny how all the candidates applied in the same schools: a lot of students from the Animation program at DePaul. Candidates were talking about Emerson and Chapman. I heard one saying that DePaul was the closest she found to Chapman. I didn’t ask if she was a film major or in animation. It’s interesting to hear what the different candidates think when they visit. At dePaul, the day was from 8:00am to 5:00pm. At Emerson, it will be from 9:00am to 4:00pm. I don’t know if your D applied in other schools than Chapman, but just to say that going to an event like this is worth it.

2 Likes

Are the decisions out this Thursday?

1 Like

Results came out today for my son. He got admitted .

D rejected. Probably the beginning of a long list of rejections. Not sure if she should be on the waitlist. She has the choice between Emerson and Ithaca so she should stay focused on those.

DD admitted to creative producing. She’s very excited but the cost is probably prohibitive even though she received the $22k Dean’s Scholarship.

Congrats to your D ! That was the program my D applied to. Could you share your student’s stats and ECs? Sometimes it helps to understand why the rejection, sometimes it doesn’t. Wait for the FA package, sometimes they add grants to make the university more affordable. And you can appeal too if you really want this program.

She has a 95% GPA, 18 H/AP/DE classes. TO. Good ECs. In school’s dramatic arts program, with four lead roles last two years. Performing in theater since first grade. 4 honor societies, including VP of English. I think really good LORs from her drama and English teachers and guidance counselor who all know her very well.

1 Like

Unfortunately, we haven’t qualified for financial aid yet except for a few schools which actually gave her $500-$1,000 grants for filling out the FAFSA application.

I have a daughter at Chapman, but different major. They do a nice job for admitted students day and orientation for students as well as their families.

Thanks. Yes, I can see that with 1 or 2 Bs in the report cards, that can be problematic for schools that are looking for straight As students. We knew that Chapman, USC, UCLA, BU would be either a Reach, either too expensive, or both. She applied anyway, but now, D needs to face all the rejections or the impossibility to attend the school because of the price tag. I’ll encourage her to focus on Emerson and Ithaca, two great choices for now. So many steps in this process! Let us know where your D finaly will go. I saw on another thread that you are looking at Ithaca, Emerson and one of the Sunny schools (Purchase?). Our appeal worked a little with Emerson so definitely try.

1 Like

Right now, her top choices are Ithaca, Emerson, Penn State, DePaul, UCONN (received in-state tuition) and Chapman. We appealed her merit from Emerson and waiting to hear back. She really loved Purchase but she wasn’t accepted. It’s her only rejection thus far and we were really disappointed because I thought it was the best combination of distance, quality program and price. Ithaca and UCONN are the least costly. With the unexpected Chapman acceptance, I told her I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets accepted by one of the three most competitive programs remaining, NYU, USC and BU. We’ll know soon enough.

1 Like

Word of advice, colleges read these threads. Especially, if you’re appealing a financial offer, don’t share much information about your child or yourself to help them figure out who applied if talking about other schools, offers, etc.

2 Likes

I’ve wondered about this. I do think it’s best not to share too much. I don’t want to identify my kid. At the same time, it sounds far-fetched that a college handling tens of thousands of applications would read these threads and try to piece together who one particular student is. I feel both ways.

5 Likes

I just had a question on whether the computer science major at Chapman is any good? Anyone also got in for cs major?

Did financial aid offers come out yet?

Is Chapman (Dodge College) worth it if you get no financial aid beyond the 5k unsubsidized fed grant and the price tag is very stressful? My child was accepted in screenwriting, so it’s 80k per year for a writing degree and it’s unclear how much you can experience the other aspects of filmmaking when you are on the screenwriting track. (I’m all for the arts and make my living as a writer, which is why 80k seems steep for a writing degree)