Chapman Merit Aid

My 2023 is looking at Chapman. We will not qualify for any need based aid. We were wondering if anyone could share their stats or information so we can try to estimate how much merit aid she may get. The school’s website says merit aid is up to 36k a year.

She’s a 4.0/4.89 weighted, #2 in her class. She has completed 6 AP classes, has 4 more as a senior plus a dual enrollment class. She is an AP scholar with distinction. SAT 1410 but no prep and she is taking it again in August. She will have a bilingual diploma as she is a language immersion student. She is also a 3 sport varsity athlete, club sports all year round, and all league honors, etc. She would be a recruited athlete for one of them. We know she cannot get any athletic scholarships as Chapman is a division 3 school.

Thank you for your input. She likes the school a lot but we are trying to keep cost under 50k a year.

what is her major? I’m pretty confident she’d get a substantial scholarship. Deans seems to be $20k for a 3.8 uw. $25 for 4.0uw it seems (based on researching this for over a year on college confidential). And this is even for ED With a less desirable major maybe even higher

My daughter applied EA last year. All in all, I’d say she was similar caliber as your daughter (final ACT score was higher–with lots of prep–but your daughter will be in great shape with some prep). I can’t remember what she was offered but it was at least 28K. I think even over 30K. She accepted elsewhere for merit that was 25K a year and I remember thinking that one benefit of Chapman (besides being closer to home) was how much more money we would save. I do believe it was like 30-32K!

2 Likes

She wants to be a Biology or Health Sciences major, with a minor or dual major in Spanish. She also wants to do pre-med reqs.

1 Like

I think you can count on $25 - $32. Do the Net Price Calculator. If you’re comfortable with the low side of the offer apply and chances are she’d get the high side. Their NPC is quite accurate vs other schools where it can vary widely.

2 Likes

The NPC says 20-36k based on her 4.0 GPA. Quite a range so I was hoping for examples to narrow it down a bit.

We wont qualify for any need based aid.

She is also a first gen student, hoping that helps?

from what Ive seen it’s usually closer to the higher (but they don’t want guarantee that or anything). If it works for your finances apply and better to be happily surprised than disappointed

1 Like

I’m guessing she would get 36k. My child’s weren’t as high as yours and she was offered less but requested more and got the full 36. It’s worth a try to apply!

1 Like

In addition to the initial merit award, the colleges can award small “talent” scholarships. My daughter is a psychology major and received an extra $3000.

1 Like

My son is applying EA but he’s applying as Undeclared. Will that pull him out of the running for any merit based or talent based aid? Would it be better for him to apply with a major? He has 3 he’s interested in - just thought would be better to apply Undeclared so he could figure it out. Are we shooting ourselves in the foot?

No, it shouldn’t make much of a difference for merit. Are the majors in different colleges though or the same? May be better to apply to one if he has ECs in that area and then can transfer super easily? Also if one of the majors is a super competitive major (like film) near impossible to transfer into it

1 Like

That makes sense. He’s not interested in film production but he is in two different colleges. So may need to take your advice and have him pick one and go with it for now.
Appreciate the info!!

What did your student do to receive the talent award for psychology?