ChatGPT and the USMLEs

ChatGPT performed at or near the passing threshold for all three exams without any specialized training or reinforcement. Additionally, ChatGPT demonstrated a high level of concordance and insight in its explanations.

Is AI the future of medicine?

On a personal level, my daughter & her husband were playing around with ChatGPT over winter break. D1 asked it to write patient discharge instructions for 26 year old male with a minor head injury (mild concussion)–and no other information. The resultant note was excellent and very thorough–probably more thorough than what most doctors would write. D saw great potential for automating some repetitive tasks that physicians need to do multiple times per day.

1 Like

I’m laughing my … off, because this is what electronic medical record templates have been doing for years. Click and fill a medical note filled with pages and pages of medically unnecessary BS (but necessary for fulfilling requirements for billing and malpractice defense), that are sometimes just absurd. Amputees who get discharged with computer-generated notes that state that all extremities examined and found to be normal, with good sensation and good capillary refill (of what, phantom limbs?)

Hmm that’s interesting! Although I think we are years away from AI completely replacing humans as doctors, there does seem to be potential with it fulfilling some repetitive tasks. I agree with @parentologist that the technology we currently use wtih EMR templates are very limited. It will be interesting to see how this proceeds in the future!