Cheap Transportation Options

<p>So Miami is my #1 choice but unfortunatly like many other hopefulls cost is going to dictate whether or not I attend. So one thing I have to take into consideration is transportation back home during breaks or whenever. I live in michigan so a roundtrip plane ticket is pricey and flying multiple times per year would really add up. I could take the amtrak which I think is quite a bit cheaper but it's like a 24 hour ride. So does anyone know if any airlines run special programs or discounted rates for students? How have others gone about this?</p>

<p>Thankyou</p>

<p>hey man i’m a freshman at miami, and incidentally i’m also from michigan. unfortunately, there’s no student discounts as far as i know. personally, i’m dealing with that by only taking flights home for christmas and summer. even if it does cost more than most schools, i would definitely recommend that you come to miami… my experience has been great so far</p>

<p>Haha cool, I love Michigan but I can’t wait to leave at the same time. Yea I probably would only fly home for christmas and summer too. Man I decided to apply to Miami just for the heck of it but the more I research it the more I like everything about it, Miami has quickly become my top choice.</p>

<p>studentuniverse.com is a great site for discounted student airfare.</p>

<p>Although we are from NY and flights are relatively inexpensive my son is going into his senior year and has yet to come home for Thanksgiving. He always goes to a friends house in FL and back to school. He spends most of the weekend doing schoolwork/papers as the following week is the last of the semester.</p>

<p>We fly out of Ft Lauderdale as many of the kids do- Check Southwest for prices as they tend to be lower). There is a shuttle to and from school.</p>

<p>By the way, I went to school in MI (MSU) and never came home for Thanksgiving either.</p>

<p>Checked SW for you. Flights are just over $100 (except more Thanksgiving as the cheaper seats are already sold out.)</p>

<p>Nice thing about Southwest is that you can cancel and use the credit for the next flight. Also, if flight prices go down as they often do, you cancel and rebook at the lower cost.</p>

<p>Oh I always forget about SW and I don’t think they charge you for your first bag, that’s where all the others nickel and dime you to death</p>

<p>Goblue-</p>

<p>SW allows 2 bags to be checked in (up to 50 lbs each) plus 2 carry on. Check their website. We use SW all the time. It is worth a layover if the destination does not have a non-stop. They are quick and efficient. Book early for best fares. You use the confirmation number you receive when booking to get your seats/boarding pass, 24 hours in advance. If you are in class, your parents/friends can do it for you. You can print the boarding pass then or later.</p>