Chem 101 Professor Pan

<p>Daughter talked to ta, who told her she got a 95 in her lab class, one of the highest grades, and got 90s on her tests. She checked her official grades and it said she got an F. Then the prof sent an email that said “Hi, you might notice that your lab grade failed, that’s the only reason why I assigned a FA grade for this Ch101 course, even though you might have passed the rest of the tests in my class. If you have question with your grade, I encourage to solve the lab instructor her email address is
make sure you solve any lab issuse by tuesday and send feedback to me.” (grammar his). Needless to say she emailed the ta and the professor and has not heard back from either. Next step Department Head? Anyone else experiencing this?</p>

<p>Sounds like a mistake. Sounds like the TA accidentally gave your child someone else’s lab grade.</p>

<p>If you haven’t heard from the TA & prof by afternoon tomorrow, then contact the dept head. </p>

<p>I assigned a FA grade for</p>

<p>Are you saying that there are two grades? A for class and F for lab?</p>

<p>Son has a different professor. His professor stated in a Blackboard message, that the Prof had to manually transcribe 240 lab grades onto the system. I can certainly see how this could lead to keying errors.</p>

<p>I would both call Prof tomorrow as well as send the e-mails to Prof, TA and Dept Head.</p>

<p>Prof had to manually transcribe 240 lab grades onto the system</p>

<p>Recipe for mistakes. Wonder why they’re doing it that way.</p>

<p>I don’t know – sounds crazy considering how the amount of technology the school uses. You would think one of those Computer Engineering majors could have whipped out a program. </p>

<p>I know from the e-mails Prof Rupar sent out that he received a large amount of e-mails requesting a review of the grades. He is very good at communicating with the class and appeared to have been working all weekend just updating the kids as to the status of data input and reviews.</p>

<p>On the flip side, you would think a Prof with an “A” test student and a “F” lab would review without an e-mail because the discrepancy is so great.</p>

<p>My S also just finished Ch101. My question would be did she attend all the labs during the semester? I believe they are allowed to miss 2? and if they miss a 3rd, it’s an automatic F for the lab portion no matter how they performed in the rest of the labs. If she did attend all the labs, then, as others have noted, it’s most likely an error, but you probably want to verify that her TA had her attendance recorded properly as that could also explain the grade.</p>

<p>I have to hand enter scores into a computerized grade book when I give pencil and paper tests, and I have been known to make mistakes.</p>

<p>Lab grades are entered manually since lab reports are graded manually.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your help. Thanks to your advice, I actually talked to the professor on the phone. He had already seen our email and had been in touch with the TA. It took awhile, but they were able to confirm a mistake had been made and they adjusted the grade. The professor was very nice and supportive even though he had 1000 students to take care of! I am so glad we called. Thanks again for the college confidential support!</p>

<p>Oh good!!!</p>

<p>A mistake was made and it got QUICKLY corrected (certainly not the “unorganized school” that some unknown mom is claiming. lol)</p>

<p>Glad to hear it all worked out!</p>

<p>Glad to hear of the quick response! All our dealings with the school are handled with amazing speed and personal attention. This has blown us away given the red tape we hear of so much at our home state flagship and other large Universities.</p>