chem 115

<p>Does anyone know what this class is like? I got an email today inviting me to apply for it. It looks interesting, but I am not sure if it would be a good idea to take such a difficult class as a freshman.</p>

<p>I am planning to major in electrical engineering, so all I need is the usual gen chem. I could just use ap credit for chem 103, take chem 104, and be done easily in one semester. The small class size and chance to work on a real project in chem 115 sounds neat. I am not sure if all the extra work and chance of getting a lower grade is worth it though. Would the extra stuff I would learn even be useful for EE?</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>I’m wondering about this too. I’m gonna be a bio major planning on the pre-med path. Is it worth taking at the expense of probably lower grades, or are there engineering stuff in that course that’s not relevant to me? I haven’t got the email though…</p>

<p><a href=“http://registrar.wisc.edu/documents/Stats_distribs_2009-2010Fall.pdf[/url]”>http://registrar.wisc.edu/documents/Stats_distribs_2009-2010Fall.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>See page 175</p>

<p>Chemistry 115, taught in fall 2009 with 29 students, showed a grade distribution as follows:</p>

<p>A 51.7%
AB 24.1%
B 24.1%</p>

<p>As a comparison, 1,847 people took Chemistry 103 with the following grade distribution:</p>

<p>A 23.8%
AB 12.3%
B 27.2%
BC 9.6%
C 17.9%
D 6.4%
F 2.5%
I .3% (incomplete)</p>

<p>More information:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.chem.wisc.edu/content/courses[/url]”>http://www.chem.wisc.edu/content/courses&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>115 Chemical Principles I. I; 5 cr (r-P-E). For specially well qualified students majoring in chemistry or chemical engineering. Lecture, lab, and quiz. P: Adv placement or adv HS chem, cr or con reg in Math 221 or cons inst. Open to Fr.</p>

<p>116 Chemical Principles II. II; 5 cr (P-I). Continuation of Chemistry 115. Chemistry 115 and 116 satisfy the requirements for general chemistry and introductory analytical chemistry; lecture, lab, and discussion. P: Chem 115 or cons inst. Open to Fr.</p>

<p>oh… apparently many of those in 115 are in fact probably so good in chem they get A anyway… so i guess it comes down to getting the invitation, which i didn’t receive :(</p>

<p>[edit:]
ohh it’s in wiscmail… i never check it :stuck_out_tongue:
now i’ve applied already… thanks jasper37 :smiley: if not for you i would’ve missed the deadline</p>

<p>Regarding not checking your wiscmail - there is a feature which you can set up in wiscmail that will automatically forward all of your wiscmails to the personal email address you prefer to use. This way you won’t miss anything important. :)</p>

<p>Chem major/physician here- this course has been around forever, some content has changed over time, of course. This, like the math and physics Honors courses open by invitation is excellent for those who want more than just basic need to know course material. Take it if you like chemistry and want to know more than offered in other courses. Still get my Badger Chemist every year and see where UW is still excellent in Chemistry and Chemistry education- they actively offer programs for HS and below educators, likewise the college level benfits from professors who consider teaching students so they learn important (disclaimer-I am talking about the dept, not individuals, so no comments about that lousy prof…).</p>

<p>Eons ago Chem 109H-110H and Chem 115-116 (automatic H) used to be parallel/similar courses. Chem 115-116 (and the old 109/110) also covered the 200 level analytical material along with general chemistry. There were around 100 students- now I see a post here where only 29 students took 115. I also see where they changed 109 and no longer offer 110- AP chemistry now available to HS students and they cut out courses redundancy. My impression from reading about it online is that Chem 115 will be best for those who actively like chemistry. A chemical engineering student may want it, other engineering students may not. </p>

<p>Freshmen to be- you have to get out of the “too difficult as a freshman” mindeset. All colleges will not make courses available to freshmen unless they feel a new student can handle them. You gain the most from college by taking the best courses that suit your goals- these honors courses are an example of freshmen being offered more substance/theory than needed by average students. You worked harder than the average HS student to get into UW- Honors courses are your chance to get more out of college.</p>

<p>Another concept. All the hype about only taking x credits is the same hype given to HS freshmen- if you didn’t need a study hall then, why waste your time now by taking fewer credits? If you took honors/advanced courses as a HS freshman why not take the equivalent in college? The Honors Program helps public colleges offer courses of the same caliber as the most elite colleges while still offering courses for the masses of students the states are educating.</p>

<p>You choose what to make of your college semesters. Are your goals to be average in the workplace, or to rise to the top? Do you want to max out on the academics offered (at no extra cost)? Will you get out of college the best prepared for your future? Again- consider your HS experience. Yes, students who maxed out HS are attending UW along with those who took fewer/less difficult courses in HS- all good students. But which ones will be most prepared, find college easier than others? </p>

<p>College is a time you get to define who you are. College is not mandatory like HS. You are paying for the experience- get your money’s worth.</p>

<p>Interesting that the grades for 115 are all so high, at least that means it isn’t graded on a curve.</p>

<p>You have some interesting points wis75. The idea of getting the most out of college is a good reminder. I guess that is kind of why I was considering the class. I’m just trying to find the balance of getting the best education vs having time for a social life (don’t want to be so busy studying that I don’t have time to make friends).</p>

<p>Anyway, I am probably going to apply for either honors chem or math… not sure which yet. Thanks for the help :)</p>

<p>Honors courses won’t have the “standard distribution curve”. Why would top students sign up for a course knowing the vast majority will get lower grades? The idea is to learn the material- the grades then follow. My experience was with exams (blue book- ie essay/problem solving/open ended) that had one score of perhaps high 80%'s, the next a cluster in the 60’s… in other words, our minds were stretched by the exams and they also showed us how much more there was to learn. That excellent professor is now emeritus, but subsequent ones are likely as good.</p>

<p>Remember- you are in college to learn for your benefit, not to acquire a gpa. Your social life will be there. It is more fun hanging out with people who think like you do- intellectual friends can be more fun if they get your jokes… Meeting peers in classes has benefits.</p>

<p>I took it Fall 2010 and It’s a doozy. You’ll likely learn more math than in your other math course. It won’t look much like former Chemistry classes; you’ll be looking a lot at quantum mechanics and rigorous derivations of formulas. Still, if you were selected and feel confident in your numbers go for it. You have the chance to learn things that you might not touch until graduate school.</p>