ChemE at Alabama

<p>I saw that the scholarships for an OOS to U of A is really great. How good is their chemical engineering program? Is it comparable to other reputable schools?</p>

<p>Bump…</p>

<p>Hey dmorris1017,</p>

<p>I graduated from UA in 2013 with a BS in ChemE. I thinks the program was great. The department hired several new professors during my time due to department growth. I know that we grew tremendously in terms of enrollment during my time at UA. All of the labs and academic buildings are state of the art and were just built (google University of Alabama science and engineering complex). They are some of the best in the country. </p>

<p>In terms if employment, my friends and I all received well paying jobs at the end of our completion. I work alongside ChemE graduates from other schools (university of Illinois Urbana champaign, Georgia tech, university of Florida, etc.) and have never felt that I wasn’t as prepared as them. </p>

<p>A lot if students that I graduated with also got into very prestigious medical and ChemE graduate schools (Harvard and Vandy medical, MIT, Berkeley, ut Austin, etc ChemE programs). </p>

<p>In short, I found the program to be great. Also, UA was a blast (three national championships in football while I was there) and somewhere I will always miss. It served me well and was a great bargain at the same time. Sorry for any typos; I typed this from my phone. </p>

<p>I love when students come on here are post. ;)</p>

<p>Awesome! Been looking everywhere to find advice like yours @dixiedelight‌ ! The information is, I believe, especially valuable to OOS incoming freshman who don’t have the direct ability to talk to graduates in order to gain experience from UA and its program. Also, the “surveys” that many universities offer for graduates to describe their status either as full-time, part-time, unemployed, and grad school. This process is very “general” and only gives a certain “hope” to us, incoming freshman. (I know this is valuable for upperclassmen but I cannot speak for them). And the response “full-time” could mean full-time at a fast food restaurant–the point is the surveys are not <em>specific</em> as your comment. Again, thank you kind poster.</p>

<p>My son was a chemE grad last year, but he went to med school. However his chemE friends all got well-paid jobs after graduation ranging from 70k-90k.</p>

<p>there was a chemE student who used to post here a couple years ago. he got a good job in Wisconsin after he graduated.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone :D. I’m glad to help. Let me know if you have any more questions about UA or its ChemE program. </p>

<p>@dixiedelight‌ did you have much of a social life while pursuing chemE, everyone tells me how hard or a major it is and how their time is mostly consumed with problem sets and endless homework, will I still be able to enjoy the “college life” while pursuing this degree?</p>

<p>@dixiedelight, by any chance, do you have any friends from other engineering departments who might be willing to share their experiences here as well? Anybody from mechanical engineering, computer science or metallurgy, by any chance? </p>

<p>Thank you so much for sharing your story!</p>

<p>Haha…I think I had a little too much of a social life to be honest. I was in a fraternity (pledging was a huge time commitment), a few clubs, mentoring programs, etc. I remember literally having to turn off my phone and ignore people to get studying done. A lot of people in my fraternity and roommates were business majors so they didn’t have to study as much haha. I enjoyed having friends outside of engineering though. </p>

<p>So yeah, I had a freaking blast. It was hard and took major discipline though. I do remember waking up several mornings at 3 or 4 am so I could study before a test, but still go out the night before. </p>

<p>LucieTheLake, I can’t get them on here at the moment, but I knew two mechanical engineers who got awesome jobs. One, my fraternity brother, got a job in Tuscaloosa at the mercedes plant there (so jealous lol). The other person was my friend’s girlfriend. She got a job in Seattle with Boeing. I also had a computer science friend, but he wanted to go to medical school. </p>

<p>Thank you, @dixiedelight. That’s good stuff right there!!! :-D</p>

<p>If by any chance you speak to your friends and fraternity brothers, please put in a plug for the CC forums. The Bama community is so amazingly supportive here, but it would be nice to hear from some recent graduates firsthand, as well. I’m sure business students would love to hear from recent grads too.</p>

<p>Congratulations on all your success and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Thank you so much, I’m from Alaska so I know very little about Alabama, but the goal is to get my ChemE degree then work for ConocoPhillips where I’m completing a year long high school internship at right now. Glad to know I can get a quality education at a school I can afford (rather than fighting the expenses at UT or UCSB) and have a social life </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>My son had a social life, but because he was also premed, he really had to protect his gpa. On some home gam weekends, he could only attend half a game. However, nearly every person can find some time to socialize later in the evenings on weekend nights.</p>

<p>the trick is not to stay out too late, which makes you too tired the next day.</p>

<p>turning your phone off is a good idea, but if it is your alarm also, you may need another alarm.</p>