Chemical Engineering at Wisconsin

<p>Does anybody know why one of the required courses for ChemE is only offered over the summer. </p>

<p>Isn't that just a little bizarre? Doesn't that make it impossible to graduate in 4 years of Fall-Spring education? Is that from the budget cuts? </p>

<p>I'm just wondering?</p>

<p>If you look at the schedule it’s quite obvious. It meets 8 hours a day 5 days a week because the complex labs take that long to do and it would not be possible to that while taking other classes. It’s a capstone course for a very challenging and highly regarded major that also still requires 133 credits to graduate-the most of any major I know of.</p>

<p>It seems as though it’s taken after the 4th year, so it delays graduation and the student must forgo that salary and usually should have lined up a job by then anyway. </p>

<p>I don’t really get it. It’s very unusual.</p>

<p>Most seem to deal with it and graduate. They have the highest average salary of any engineering major at UW and UW ChE grads are in high demand. As most also do a 6 month paid co-op they probably don’t graduate in 4 years anyway. With the co-op is usually a 4.5-five year program.</p>