Chemical Engineering

<p>I plan on majoring in Chemical Engineering at the University of Alabama. Is anyone in this program now and would like to share their opinion? Thanks!</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>My son just graduated from Bama last May with a degree in Chem E. The program was very strong. </p>

<p>Although he went on to med school, his ChemE friends were immediately hired at very good pay…$75k-85k plus per year.</p>

<p>My dd is a freshman in chemical engineering (pre-med track). I know she spends a lot of time on homework/studying but is doing very well with her courses so far. She is in a sorority, is in the Residential Communities group, and is an Emerging Scholar. PM me if you want more information. I know she loves Bama, there is so much to do to get involved!</p>

<p>Hey redhead924! I’m currently a sophomore majoring in ChemE and minoring in CBH. I entered on the pre-med track but am now considering the ChemE/Chemistry dual major (that’s the great thing about our flow charts - [Chemical</a> Engineering - Undergraduate Programs - Chemical and Biological Engineering - The College of Engineering - UA](<a href=“http://che.eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/chemical-engineering/]Chemical”>http://che.eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/chemical-engineering/)). My experience within the major so far has been positive; while I’m not currently in a CHE class, CHE 254 last year with Dr. Bara was great, and my interactions with other ChemE professors (Dr. Brazel, Dr. Kim, Dr. Ritchie, etc.) have all been good. The program has a strong history of traditional Chemical Engineering education, i.e. training people to go into industry. Co-oping is HUGE at Bama. However, the professors realize that many students nowadays are looking to go into research, medicine, or any number of other fields rather than industry, and the education you receive is accordingly well-rounded in those regards. ChemE is a great major that you can do a ton of things with. It’s also statistically the largest major within the Honors College, with over 70% of incoming ChemEs in Honors and over 8% of total Honors enrollment consisting of ChemE majors. If you want to hear more about the specifics, feel free to ask me here or via PM!</p>

<p>My son, a senior, has several chem eng major friends. Some are planning on med school, but some are going for their Ph.D. With the oil industry as it is right now, lots of opportunities for graduates with that degree right now. Whether that will still stand in four years, when you graduate, is hard to predict. It’s an up and down industry, for sure.</p>

<p>ChemE majors aren’t limited to the oil industry or med school. There are other industries (drug, chemical processing, plastics, utility companies, etc ) that hire ChemE majors.</p>