Chicago Area 2014 Recruiting Event

<p>Dr. Whitaker looks like Anderson Cooper.</p>

<p>Key points I took away:

• UA’s engineering enrollment has more than doubled (and almost tripled) since 2008.
  • UA has been admitting students since 1831…and the Engineering College since 1837.
  • The entire current Freshman class is the highest ranked academically in the entire history of UA, with 27% of that class having a 4.0 or greater HS GPA. This class also has the highest mean ACT/SAT scores in the history of UA admits.
  • UA has 9 colleges which offer degrees…and 1 college which does not. The 1 which does not is the Honors College, which is the ‘intersection’ of all of the other colleges, bringing together the top students from each college and each major on campus.
  • 1 in 4 students on campus are currently in the Honors College.
  • UA’s Debate Team has won 19 NATIONAL Championships. As Dr. Whittaker said, ‘What is with that football team?!’ :wink:
    I was surprised at the number of students attending who had already applied, paid their deposit(s), and were almost certain they were going to UA. I remember thinking 2 years ago it was a harder ‘sell’. UA has truly taken off, in the right direction. Roll Tide.</p>

<p>PS: Please edit any facts which I got wrong, above.</p>

<p>Sounds like it was a great event! Roll Tide.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>When we were there a couple years ago, my D had applied and been accepted, but was a couple weeks away from making her deposits and a few months away from making her decision. However, almost every parent I talked to then had a child who had already been accepted, had put down a deposit and was definitely planning to attend. What surprised me was that while scholarships were a big topic of conversation, most people I spoke with had students who were either full pay or were getting very small scholarships. After reading CC, I thought most OOS kids were going for the scholarships, but this wasn’t the case at all for most families I met at the reception.</p>

<p>I was also surprised at the number of families who had never heard of CC. this suggests to me that they are making up their own minds, which is a good thing…but I hope they will join CC soon.</p>