Chicago Reception Oct. 24th

<p>Hi, could anyone please tell me how to sign up for this event? My daughter would like to attend.</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>contact your area rep. I think it’s Bethany Forrest. If you don’t get a response, let us know. Also, contact Admissions.</p>

<p>However, often you don’t need a “real” invite…if you just show up they’ll be HAPPY to see you. :)</p>

<p>BTW…can you provide the details and post here for the MANY Chicago area people that are considering Bama?</p>

<p>Here is the information from the invite we received in the mail.</p>

<p>The University of Alabama invites you and your parents to a Special Reception</p>

<p>Monday, October 24th
7pm
Harry Caray Ballroom at Westin Lombard
Westin Lombard
70 Yorktown Shopping Center
Lombard, IL 60148</p>

<p>Please respond by Monday, October 17th either by visiting:<br>
gobama.ua.edu/chicago-reception</p>

<p>For more information call: 205 348 2914</p>

<p>Hope this helps…We are planning on going. Hope to see many of her new classmates there!! Class of 2016!!</p>

<p>Thank you so much.</p>

<p>[RSVP</a> for Student Reception - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://www.gobama.ua.edu/chicago-reception]RSVP”>http://www.gobama.ua.edu/chicago-reception)</p>

<p>It looks like you can just go to that site and put your name and info in and they’ll know that you’re coming!</p>

<p>Bama doesn’t stand on ceremony for invites. :)</p>

<p>I posted this once before, but if there’s anyone in the northern suburbs who would prefer to go to Milwaukee, there’s a reception there on the 25th with the same speakers. The Chicago recruiter (Bethany Forrest) handles Milwaukee as well, so you can get the details from her (and I’m sure admissions also). I heard they are expecting a much smaller crowd for that one. She told my D that if she couldn’t attend in Lombard on the 24th for some reason she could just show up in Milwaukee and it wouldn’t be a problem.</p>

<p>Link for the Milwaukee reception</p>

<p>[RSVP</a> for Student Reception - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://www.gobama.ua.edu/milwaukee-reception]RSVP”>http://www.gobama.ua.edu/milwaukee-reception)</p>

<p>Kind of a repeat but a little more info… this was sent to recruit local volunteers -</p>

<p>The University of Alabama will be hosting a student recruitment Reception at The Westin Lombard in Lombard, IL on Monday, October 24, 2011 at 7pm for all high school seniors and juniors interested in learning more about The University of Alabama. The program will consist of a keynote speaker and a student speaker from your local area. Representatives from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Scholarships and other departments will be available to answer questions.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if the speakers are going to be the same? Also, are we allowed to attend both or should we just choose one? I’d like my son to meet as many potential classmates as possible but at the same time we don’t want to take away time from other students.</p>

<p>You can attend as many as you want.</p>

<p>As for speakers, they could be the same or not. These events are happening all over the country so Dr. Witt, various dept heads and deans are appearing all over.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that Bama would never tell someone that you’ve already been to one so you can’t come again. After all, a different parent might be coming this time, or you may have an unanswered question, or whatever.</p>

<p>Bethany told my D that the speakers would be the same in Lombard and Milwaukee (someone from the engineering dept., a current student and a parent). I also got the impression that she would welcome as many people as wanted to come to the one in Milwaukee - it sounds like Bama doesn’t have near the level of interest in Wisconsin as they do in Illinois. (Hmmm, might be in part because Wisconsin hasn’t priced its in-state students out of its state flagship).</p>

<p><a href=“Hmmm,%20might%20be%20in%20part%20because%20Wisconsin%20hasn’t%20priced%20its%20in-state%20students%20out%20of%20its%20state%20flagship”>I</a>. *</p>

<p>Possibly. If you have an ACT 30+ then going to Bama is cheaper…much cheaper if in engineering.</p>

<p>We are registered for the reception and looking forward to it. DD (who is a junior) and I attended the McCormick Place college fair on Monday. We had a great conversation with Bethany and were quite impressed. Mom couldn’t attend the fair on Monday and UA was not on her radar - so I’m glad they are having this reception so she can learn about UA and see why we were impressed. If all goes well we will probably need to plan a visit in the next few months.</p>

<p>Does anyone have an address for the Milwaukee reception?</p>

<p>Hyatt Regency
333 W Kilbourn Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53203</p>

<p>Do you think it would be worth parents going to the Chicago reception if my son cannot attend? He has a school function he has to attend that night - and can’t get out of - but his Dad and I were thinking of going. We are all planning on going to visit the campus for University Days on 11/11 but I thought maybe we would learn somthing about UA prior to the visit by attending the reception. My son has been accepted at UA and would qualify for the Presidential Scholarship - he is definitely interested in Alabama.</p>

<p>Absolutely I would go…Honestly, if my D could not go, I would drag hubby and go for sure. We are all three going. But I think that every time you come in contact with a potential college you learn something. </p>

<p>I have heard that the speakers are very good and very dynamic.<br>
Hope to see you there!</p>

<p>I would say yes to go ahead and go as I’m sure you will learn something about Bama at the reception which will prompt further discussions/questions when you are on campus a few weeks later. </p>

<p>While I certainly wouldn’t recommend a campus visit without your prospective student these events come to us in our towns and not on a day we select…You can pick up a t-shirt for your son and listen as we parents do during the presentation. </p>

<p>Just my 2 cents worth.</p>

<p>Thanks all - you’ve sold me. My husband and I will attend - S will be excited about the t-shirt. I had already RSVP’d that the 3 of us were attending - didn’t find out until last week that S couldn’t make it.</p>

<p>On the way home from the reception, my parents are very impressed. It kind of helps that we got a surprise scholarship letter in the mail (I haven’t applied for scholarships yet) from bama right before the reception. The reception was well worth blowing off homework, roll tide!</p>