Child of Faculty

Does being a child of faculty at Rice University help my chances? Was it worth applying ED because of this connection?

I don’t think anyone can answer that for sure except for admissions and I don’t think they would give you a direct answer. I would GUESS it certainly doesn’t hurt and probably helps a little all things being equal. I know some students at Rice whose parents work for the school in various roles, but who knows if they got a bump because of their connections or not. I also know the at least one student at Texas whose parent is a Rice faculty member - whether that was by choice or because they didn’t get admitted, I don’t know. But I don’t think being the child of a faculty member guarantees admission.

Applying ED is always a good choice IF a school is definitely your top choice and you can afford it.

I don’t know about Rice specifically, but being a child of a faculty member often helps – it’s considered a hooked category at most colleges and universities that I know of, which means it’s not a lock but you’ll get special consideration assuming you qualify for admission. Applying ED would definitely help as long as this is your top choice.

Btw: your parent (who is on faculty) should have a better sense of the answer to this question than we do, and they should ask around among their colleagues to find out more.

3 Likes

Yes.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.