Choosing a roommate?

<p>I have a friend who will be going to Alabama and will be in the honors program as well. Does anyone have advice on whether to room with someone you know or to take a chance and room with someone random?</p>

<p>I met my daughter’s roomate’s mom here on CC. We got our daughters together, and then they found other roommates on the facebook site. It was a good way for us to “get to know” each other based on info shared on this site!!</p>

<p>My D did not want to room with a friend from high school. She found her roommate on the FB site. They met at Preview Weekend and are a perfect fit. Us parents have all met as well and they are a wonderful family!!! I do know some that have roomed w/ friends from hs and it worked out just fine. Depends on the personalities, imho.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback!</p>

<p>The one bonus with the Honors Program is if you do indeed stay in the honors dorms. Then you are in a suite so there will be 2 others as well. You also have your own bedroom so there is some separation. </p>

<p>My D told her best friend to apply to UA but she didn’t. D did tell her that she would NOT room with her if she did attend UA. D just felt that they would not be able to stay friends being THAT close to each other all the time. D also will be in a traditional dorm and sharing a room with someone and she knew that her and M could not be together THAT much all the time and still come out friends. </p>

<p>You know you. You know them. Could you see yourself going in already knowing that much about someone and living that close? Sure, they might be better than potluck but there is no known baggage coming into the arrangement.</p>

<p>He’s a pretty studious guy, as am I, which is why I considered it in the first place. I’m just a tad worried I walk into my room and see someone doing a keg-stand (as ludicrous as this fear is).</p>

<p>If you both have the same study habits and you believe your personalities would mesh well, go for it. There will be 2 others in the suite with you as well. I do believe they have roommates make a roommate contract of what they desire, won’t allow, etc.</p>