Choosing where to go

<p>I’m planning to major in mechanical engineering, and right now my choices of schools are UCI, UCD, and CPSLO. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each school?</p>

<p>If you are majoring in mechanical engineering, then I would think it would be a no brainer to choose Cal Poly SLO. First off, SLO is the hardest out of all those schools you got into to get in under the mechanical engineering major. Iv'e had 4 friends declined there under that major all having gpas above 4.3 and SATs above 2000. However, they got into USC. </p>

<p>SLO has one of the best engineering programs in the country. If you were doing any other major, i'd choose a UC.</p>

<p>Yes. Either Irvine or SLO but SLO over Irvine.</p>

<p>I agree with Nate</p>

<p>If you're doing mechanical engineering, and are fine with just a bachelor's, then CP SLO is a superior choice. However, if you were to elect to go to a graduate school, or are currently indecisive on your career choice (a lot of us are, but to each his own), then having a more well-known school like UCI would be a better choice. CP SLO is good in its own right for engineering, but it doesn't have a graduate school or much recognition outside of the immediate engineering/architecture fields.</p>

<p>As far as rankings go Cal Poly is not ranked with Irvine and Davis because they don't offer doctorates there. It is ranked 4th within its own division. Cal Poly is widely regared as an excellent choice for engineering. It is located in a fun college town. The cirriculum is know for being hands on. Davis ranks #28 in mechanical engineering among schools that offer doctorates and Irvine ranks #36. Davis is located in a college town while Irvine is located in suburban Southern California. Both schools are middle tier UC's. Davis has a larger engineering department. It is located in Northern California and is often described as being outdoorsy and sports oriented. Everyone there rides bikes. Greek organizations have a presense on campus. Irvine is known to be on the quieter and more studious side. They have a new student center opening soon that should add a lot to the campus atmosphere. Many students commute to Irvine while Davis and Cal Poly are more residential. Cal Poly has less on campus housing so not all freshman live on the campus but they live right near by. You are fortunate to have three excellent choices. Try to visit to see which school has the best fit for you. That is the most important part of your choice.</p>

<p>Apparently over the next two years Cal Poly will be adding a significant number of new housing units for entering freshman which should ease the housing crunch so good news there.</p>

<p>"Apparently over the next two years Cal Poly will be adding a significant number of new housing units for entering freshman which should ease the housing crunch so good news there."</p>

<p>Also, two brand new engineering buildings just opened up a couple of months ago.</p>