Chose Incorrect Major on Application

<p>Okay, when I first filled out my application about a week ago, I had chosen to major in marketing. However, this was only because I wasn't sure what some of the communcations majors were. I meant to go back and change it after seeing how the communcations majors were described, but got so wrapped up in doing the essay and applying to another school that I completely forgot.</p>

<p>I know it isn't a <em>HUGE</em> deal, so I'm not freaking out...just annoyed with myself. Anyway, I want to change the major I listed on the application to Communcation Arts. For one, I'm worried I won't be able to get into the business school, which could hurt my chances for acceptance...and the Communication Arts major is exactly what I wanted.</p>

<p>What do I do? I know I read on the confirmation page after I submitted my application that I could write a letter to them notifying them of the change. Am I right on that? Do I just send it to the admissions office?...or is it even worth notifying them of (assuming it won't hurt my chances by applying to the business school)? Also, could making a stupid mistake like that hurt my chances at all?</p>

<p>I did e-mail them describing the situation and asking where exactly I should send it and what steps I should take, but I thought I might get a quicker reply here. :)</p>

<p>Isn't the business school junior-year entry? You start off in the liberal arts school or some other freshman-entry program, take the prereqs, and apply during sophomore year for admission?</p>

<p>Yeah, that's what it says on the business school's website...which made me think it wouldn't be a big deal if I just left it as is.</p>

<p>*"The two steps to gain admission to the School of Business are:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Admission to UW-Madison - Students must first be admitted to the University before they declare their intent to pursue a business major. Prospective students should fill out the standard written application available at their high school, Undergraduate Admissions Office on the UW-Madison campus, or apply electronically via the UW-Admission Office Web Site.</p></li>
<li><p>Admission to the School of Business - Once admitted to the University, students who hope to major in business as juniors and seniors spend their first two years in the College of Letters and Science at UW-Madison. Students may apply to the School of Business at the beginning of the semester that they will complete at least 54 credits (junior standing) and all Pre-business required courses. Application to the School of Business guarantees consideration but NOT admission.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>School of Business admission requirements are based on the semester and year a student begins college/university coursework (matriculation date), however, alternative policies may be in place at the time of your admission to the University. Students interested in transferring to UW-Madison to study Business, should review the Transfer student admission information."*</p>

<p>However, if it would hurt me at all when it comes to admissions...I'd like to change it. But I'm assuming from what I've read and from your confirmation, that it wouldn't really have much of an effect??</p>

<p>I assume Communication Arts is also in the CLS? If so, it looks like you'll be admitted to that school regardless. If you're still uneasy about it, go ahead and follow-up with admissions--couldn't hurt.</p>

<p>Alrighty, thank you for your help! :)</p>

<p>Do you guys think i have a chance with a 3.2-3.3 unweighted and 1400 SAT</p>

<p>Your SAT is 'above average' but your GPA is pretty low. If you have some great extracurriculars, good recommendations, and a decent essay you could very well have a shot. Honestly, you never know...I'm sure there are plenty of people who have gotten in with lower GPA's or SAT's, it just depends on what admissions is looking for right then and there.</p>

<p>Good luck! :)</p>

<p>Yes, a decent chance.</p>