Church recommendations

<p>Can anyone recommend a good evangelical, bible-believing church near campus?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Do you care which denomination? I sent you an email that I got from a recent grad when I asked about church recommendations as well.</p>

<p>Thanks! I’m more concerned about the church adhering to the basic principles of faith than denomination.</p>

<p>Do you want a “high church” liturgical service (what the Episcopals, Lutherans, Catholics, etc have)</p>

<p>Or do you want a “low church” service (the “sermon sandwich” - songs/praises, bible reading/sermon, songs/praises).</p>

<p>What about a High-church Episcopal with a strong campus ministry?</p>

<p>I believe there is an Episcopal church in the God Quad, where the Catholic Church, Methodist and Presbyterian churches are located.</p>

<p>I think he/she wants an evangelical church – which usually means non-denominational, or Baptist, etc. I grew up in one of those churches (am Catholic now) and know the lingo, and “Bible-believing” is code for a specific kind of church. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I can assure you he/she is not interested in anything Catholic or Episcopal.</p>

<p>slippy, not sure of exactly what your son is looking for, but my son absolutely LOVES Calvary Baptist. He has become very involved there. He attends the Sunday service
(9:45am?) and then a sermon discussion group afterwards. He is also a member of a “life group” (ten freshmen boys with two uperclassman leaders) that meets once a week for a Bible study and then another time during the week to just socialize. In addition, he goes to The Well, a very well-attended service for college students (on Wednesday nights?). Check out their website! If your son wants more info, let me know and I will let my son know…Since they know each other, it would be easy for your son to join my son one day.</p>

<p>slippy2000, by “Bible-believing” I’m referring to the belief that scripture is divinely inspired and inerrant.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>??</p>

<p>Which Christian church doesn’t believe that? I think they all do. :slight_smile: All believe the Bible to be divinely inspired (Word of God) and without error. However, some denominations take a more literal translations…i.e. the world was really created in 6 24 hour periods, while others accept that the world is billions of years old.</p>

<p>I think you may be leaning towards a EV-Free kind of denomination or Calvary Baptist.</p>

<p>riprorin,</p>

<p>We (and our D) can’t say enough good things about Capstone Church. </p>

<p>[Capstone</a> Church | About Us | News](<a href=“http://capstonechurch.org/]Capstone”>http://capstonechurch.org/)</p>

<p>We have literally never visited such a friendly church (and that includes our home church). Seriously, we met a professor from the HC when we visited and she gave us her cell phone number and email in case we needed any help for our daughter from afar. Our daughter has become active in a small group and is going to to their college group retreat this weekend off at a camp somewhere. The teaching is solid. Great church.</p>

<p>There are several wonderful groups on campus for those who want to explore their faith. During move in, you will undoubtedly get a visit to your room by representatives of many of these groups. And they are so great, not pushy, very respectful of an individual’s beliefs. I’m sure you will find a group that you will fit in with. I am so happy to hear that you want to keep up your practice of your faith, as so many of our youth take the independence of college as a time to forget God, a time when they need his guidance more than ever. Good luck to you at Bama, and I know you’ll find a place to strengthen your faith.</p>

<p>riproin and slippy, not sure where I got that this thread was started by slippy. Sorry about that. :slight_smile: All the getting up and down to hand out candy to trick or treaters must have messed with the blood flow to my brain! :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I think there are a lot of denominations that don’t believe the scriptures are inerrant. Many of the rainbow-friendly denominations, for example. Or many of the denominations that don’t consider accounts of creation or the flood to be historically factual.</p>

<p>“rainbow-friendly”- really???</p>

<p>I don’t understand you, Sniner. Did you think I intended that phrase as some kind of slur? I didn’t.</p>

<p>To each his own. For all my Protestant friends, happy Reformation Day. (The pope is not amused.)</p>

<p>Need more candy.</p>

<p>TXArchitect,</p>

<p>My son loves the priest at Canterbury Chapel Episcopal Church on campus. He usually attends the Sunday evening service.</p>

<p>“All (Christian Churches) believe the Bible to be divinely inspired (Word of God) and without error.”</p>

<p>That was generally true until about 1800, but with the the rise of higher criticism, the infallibility of the Bible has been seriously called into question. Practioners of higher criticism tend to exclude the supernatural and look for naturalistic explanations. For example, Moses didn’t really see a burning bush. It may have been a bush in full bloom, or a ray of light, etc.</p>

<p>Re: “Rainbow Friendly”- maybe that’s why some people have tried to explain to me and my friends a reason for the existence of rainbows other than the one involving water and light. </p>

<p>This is Alabama we’re talking about here, where most of the many churches profess that which riprorin is looking for.</p>

<p>It always confuses me when some parents pick out a specific church and make sure that their students only go to that church. My advice is for your student to try out a variety of churches and see which one, if any, suits them best. If anything, many churches post their sermons online. riprorin’s student could likely watch the sermon at riprorin’s church online and tithe via mail or PayPal.</p>