City of Miami

<p>Hey everyone</p>

<p>I'm hoping to get accepted to UM, but the only thing concerning me (as an international), is the crime rate in Miami. I've heard that Miami has a very high crime rate, and that a lot of parts of it are not very safe, and that's kinda concerning.</p>

<p>So is it really that bad, or is that just a bad stereotype?</p>

<p>Every major city has crime, and Miami is no different. The Coral Gables area is very upscale and safe however.</p>

<p>watch csi miami. it will help you stay on top of things.</p>

<p>^ haha! XP</p>

<p>As Miami native Pitbull said, "Miami ain't Miami Beach"</p>

<p>I am a neurotic, safety nut of a Mom. I admit it.
My son is at UM and I have no safety concerns. </p>

<p>The campus is in Coral Gables, a suburb of Miami, not very close. (The easiest way for me to explain it is living on Long Island and worrying about the bad parts of NYC, or living in an upscale suburb of Detroit and worrying about Detroit proper.) Coral Gables itself is very upscale and expensive. Some beautiful homes.</p>

<p>As with all areas, there can be an "element" not far away. The kids go to the popular Coconut Grove area. It is not close enough to walk to by any means and the area is great. You will travel through a run down, poor area which I hear is not safe. However, you have no reason to ever be there. </p>

<p>There is access to everything you need around campus. An outdoor mall within walking distance, big mall you can take public transportation to, restaurants, CVS, etc, all within walking distance. </p>

<p>My son volunteered in Miami and had to take buses and it was never a problem.</p>

<p>You really should visit and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.</p>

<p>Crazed, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write "son", rather than using some indecipherable acronym.</p>

<p>How is the Metrorail? I see you can go to/from the Ft. Lauderdale Airport using the Tri-Rail train connecting with the Metrorail train. Is it safe, convenient, etc? Would you send a rural mom on that trip alone in daylight hours?</p>

<p>DD-
I don't know about this suburban Mom.. but... my son has used the Tri-Rail/Metrorail train to travel to Delray. He's done it a couple of times. Very convenient and inexpensive. Other kids do it too. The kids would know better, but I think the waiting is a bit creepy.</p>

<p>To and from Ft. Lauderdale airport my son takes the shuttle- "GO" airport service. It has been reliable and takes you to or from the airport.</p>

<p>My S is involved in a research project at the medical school and takes the metro to get there 3 times a week with no problems. To get to FLL by metro is a little involved and also requires a transfer to a bus for the last little bit. The shuttle is more expensive, but much easier. The school runs shuttles to MIA and FLL for Thanksgiving and Winter breaks for a few dollars. After the first year, my S always found rides to the airport with other kids and he often makes runs to the airport to pick up/drop off friends.</p>

<p>I just priced out the fares at Goairportshuttle.com. For two people from FLL airport to the Dadeland Marriot hotel, it was $103.50. Holy smokes! I bet a taxi is not as much as that. Anyone taken one? </p>

<p>However, if I plugged in Coral Gables as the drop-off, the price for two was $69.00. I didn't think the hotel was that far away from the school. It must be in a different zone for that company.</p>

<p>I think we will just take a taxi. <sigh></sigh></p>

<p>I think a rental car would be your best bet from FLL and would allow you to really explore the area. Be sure to try to get to Coconut Grove (CocoWalk) during your stay for great shops and restaurants. It is a big UM hangout as is the Sunset Place outdoor mall area and would give your student a real taste of the social scene. </p>

<p>The Dadeland Marriott is a very nice hotel , located about 5-10 minutes south of the school. The metro is outdoor and elevated, and very easy (and safe) to take between the two (Dadeland South station to University station-3 stops). S and a friend did need to take a taxi to FLL once and paid about $70 from campus. You could probably call the hotel for their transportation recommendation. Have a great trip.</p>

<p>DD-
Call the 800# to speak to someone. I don't believe my son paid over $35 one way to campus.</p>

<p>In your case, you are talking 2 people, round trip so at your current price, you will be paying over $200. Rent a car. I think when we visit we use Avis (though maybe not) and it is located in the airport. We pay in advance and just walk to the Avis area. Very easy.</p>

<p>Miami is really a great city with the same benefits and problems of any big city. We have to lock our doors at night, put on the alarm system, lock our cars, and be careful on the road. For those with cars, Miami is notorious for its terrible drivers and often rude people. The murder rate is like any other city, but is in no way out of control. The Miami Vice Cocaine Cowboy days are long gone and my entire family and all my older friends survived that time as well. Coral Gables is gorgeous with its own obscene amount of laws and strict police department. "God's gift to micromanagement" is how it is known in the Miami area. You will love your time at UM in security. Public transportation, on the other hand, goes absolutely nowhere and is really pretty disgusting. Miami, like Los Angeles, is a city where a car is needed to fully enjoy what is available.</p>

<p>in response to the mother's posts about metrorail. for boys it's way different. I have to take the metrorail then transfer to the trirail everytime I want to go home (west palm), you almost always get hit on by a creep, last time it was by a drunken bum that later got kicked off for drinking out of a flask. but you deal and I've never had a real issue. but NEVER ride it after 7:00 pm. UM is ridiculously safe, that is the very last issue you should ever worry about with this school</p>

<p>Thanks Banana- That was the "creepy" part in my post. </p>

<p>My son was not so specific as you, and wasn't hit upon, but from what I remember, it was not a great environment. Also, has taken the rail up the coast just twice.</p>

<p>My son is currently at UM. Campus and the surrounding areas are extremely safe. Coconut Grove within the Coco Walk area is extremely safe. </p>

<p>The only issues/incidents he's ever heard of were when students moved off campus to the area a mile or two south of campus. There seems to be a consistent pattern of break-ins and property theft in that area.</p>

<p>thanks for the informative posts everyone</p>

<p>I'm a graduating senior at UM, and I haven't had any serious crime issues myself. I've lived both on and near campus, and the general area is fairly safe. That said, I wouldn't recommend exploring on foot during night.</p>

<p>I have mixed feelings when it comes to the metrorail; I used it regularly during last summer and fall for an internship downtown. It's usually fine during the day (from the perspective of a male), but I would hesitate to ride it after sunset. I've seen plenty of weirdos onboard, so I'm not sure how this would play out for a female.</p>

<p>Students are mailed crime reports from UM campus. The most common reports seem to be from female joggers running along the perimeter of the campus at night. There are certain areas that aren't well lit, so some common sense should be exercised. However, I haven't received any safety e-mails in several months.</p>

<p>The biggest issue I have with Miami is anything related to driving. Road rage is a serious issue here. The only time I see turn indicators is when someone has left it on for the last 5 miles. Most drivers lazily drift over or quickly pull without checking. I would estimate at least half of the drivers here do not realize they have to yield to pedestrians when turning at intersections; I've been nearly hit twice, and even honked at! I would not recommend biking within a 50 mile radius of Miami.</p>