Clarifying Housing for NMF

<p>I was just looking at the certificate my D received and it states the package for NMF:
the value of tuition for 4 years
regular on-campus housing for 4 years
$2,000 for one-time use
$1,000 per year for 4 years</p>

<p>I know it’s been discussed here that the NMF receive honors housing, but the certificate states regular on- campus housing. Does that mean that we will have to pay the difference?</p>

<p>The $2,000 is one-time use for study abroad or research during the summer. Also, the student receives a laptop – in this case, I believe they are going to give the students I-pads.</p>

<p>As for the housing, the agreement does read regular, on-campus housing. But the NMF does receive the honors housing without further payment.</p>

<p>Further clarification.</p>

<p>Yes…the NMF scholarship covers HONORS housing if you select a 4 bedroom Super Suite. You would pay an upcharge if you select a 2 bedroom Super Suite.</p>

<p>The reason why the scholarship reads “regular housing” (which is around 5100) is because if you were to choose regular housing, Bama is NOT going to refund you the difference between a Super Suite (8100) and regular dorm. </p>

<p>I believe that there’s something in the fine print online somewhere that states a 4 bedroom suite can be selected.</p>

<p>Edit…Found it…on the NMF scholarship page.</p>

<ul>
<li>Regular room rate is defined as the largest room option in a particular dorm. Example: Riverside, Lakeside and Ridgecrest have four-person suites.** The cost associated with the four-person suite would be the value of the housing scholarship in this circumstance**. If you live in an alternate dorm where a double room occupancy is the largest available option, then the cost associated with the double room would be the value of the housing scholarship.</li>
</ul>

<p>Thanks for the replies. This board is so helpful and we really appreciate it.
Can anyone give a rough estimate then what out of pocket expenses we might have D’s freshman year? I need to rethink her college fund for 2012. Does anyone have an approximate cost for the food plan? Do you think estimating books at $500 a semester is adequate? I know our travel costs will be a factor, but my husband gets frequent flyer miles and I just opened a Southwest credit card. </p>

<p>I’m sure that my D will qualify for some local scholarship money too. I want her to have a good amount of money in her college fund so some of grad school can be covered, but I also need to fund her 3 younger siblings’ college accounts.</p>

<p>linnylu: All frershmen are required to take the minimum meal plan – at least. It currently runs $1350 each semester, with an additional $300 needed each semester for the required Dining Dollars. If a student does not use his or her Dining Dollars, he or she can request a refund. </p>

<p>[Bama</a> Dining - First Year Experience](<a href=“http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/first-year-exp.html]Bama”>http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/first-year-exp.html)</p>

<p>As for books, you can budget $500 a semester for them, but I do not believe that my son has ever spent that much money. Many times, we purchase books used from the bookstore, off-campus bookstores or online from the likes of Amazon, half.com, etc.</p>

<p>As for travel, since you live near an airport that has Southwest, make certain you receive weekly e-mails so you have information on the sales. I got my son a $69 ticket to fly from BWI to Birmingham in early January, so it is possible to save a bit on airfare.</p>

<p>have a good amount of money in her college fund so some of grad school can be covered,</p>

<p>If your D is in a STEM major, then likely her grad school may be covered by the school. My son’s grad school pays for his tuition and gives him a very generous stipend which easily covers room, board, books, and personal expenses. This isn’t unusual…every acceptance had nearly identical offers.</p>

<p>What is her major?</p>

<p>Mom2CK, my daughter has no clue what she wants to do with her life. She loves English, Latin, and Spanish so will major or double major in 1 of those. She’d probably like to be a teacher but we know so many unemployed teachers including myself. I could see her being the perpetual college student:) She’d like to be a librarian, but everyone she’s mentioned that to has told her she’ll never find a job/be able to support herself. She is such a smart girl. I wish she’d choose a STEM major, but she’s not passionate about those areas. I am hoping we won’t have to touch her college account until she goes to grad school.</p>

<p>Does she have any interest in the “helping professions”…health or mental health…Nurse Practioner, therapist, etc? My sister is a LCSW (licensed clinical social worker). She’s a therapist and also a director of a private foster care agency. If I had to do things over again, I think I would have gone that route.</p>

<p>She really has no clue what she wants to do. Everything I suggest, she shoots down. Is there some career help center at UA that will help her figure out her life?!</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Yes…in the Ferguson Center. Third floor (I think) in the newly remodeled part.</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Career Center](<a href=“http://www.uacc.ua.edu/]Student”>http://www.uacc.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>It’s ok that your D doesn’t yet know…she’ll find her passion at some point.</p>

<p>:)</p>