Clark University vs Whitman College vs Sarah Lawrence

We are struggling with the selection for my D23. She is interested in psychology and related studies. She is an international student, educated in private schools in Europe and Asia. She is intelligent, kind, open minded, and very sensitive to people and environment around her. Accepted by the three universities, here’s our recap:

Clark University: my D likes the program the best due to research opportunities. And she received a scholarship, making the cost 20K to 25K less than the other two. But we are very concerned about the safety around campus. We searched extensively online but information is mixed, some said fine, some indicated downside. Any personal experience will be helpful for us.

Sarah Lawrence: the most well known among the three although rankings are lower. The location is interesting and the campus looks beautiful. They have probably the most interesting alumni network. Our concern is the high ratio of women students, 70%, making the university life like a women college experience.

Whitman College: very good school and students all seem very happy. Probably the most comfortable place for my D in terms of campus environment. However we have concerns about the location and diversity of the student body. Although we are confident that she will make friends there, but she really needs to fit it, otherwise no where to escape.

We’d appreciate all comments and advice as we need to make a quick decision in the coming days. Many thanks!

I imagine you can do research at all three.

Can you afford the $25k difference ?

No school is crime free.

For what it’s worth niche evaluates safety in whatever way they do it.

They give Clark a B, Sarah Lawrence a B-, and Whitman a B-.

So they say Clark is safest.

Here’s their methodology:

Safety grade, which incorporates factors such as campus crime rate, local crime rate, as well as student surveys regarding health and safety services on campus.

And weird stuff can happen anywhere.

Hasn’t she already committed to one of these? Did she come off the waitlist at the other two?
If not, why the change of heart?

1 Like

Many thank for your comments. Yes we researched extensively, especially students’ review on Niche. True, no school is absolutely safe.

1 Like

Yes she came off waiting list

How did she rank these three schools when she applied?

Is the cost difference at Clark impactful (for example, the others will require loans or dipping deeper into your savings)?

If cost is not an issue and she ranks them similarly, time to look deeper at the factors that matter most to her.

If still unable to decide maybe just stick with your committed school.

Thanks for your reply. Program is the top criteria for my daughter. If safety is not a bigger issue at Clark than the other two, the choice is easier to make.

2 Likes

You note she likes Clark best due to research opportunities.

Are you assuming “research opportunities” at Clark but not the others because my guess is that is not correct? I’m sure you can research at all three.

Is $25K impactful to you?

All three put out grads every year - so hopefully all provide “safe” environments.

Clark is in a small city. Like any city, you should be aware of your surroundings, lock car doors, go out in groups, etc. But, I wouldn’t hesitate to send my kid there. And being a city, there is so much more to do there than at SL or Whitman. There are at least 5 colleges in Worcester, so lots of college kids and things to do. If you’re coming from the east coast, Whitman can be tough to get to.

4 Likes

Yes we researched extensively at all three.

Cost is less a concern than safety and fit as she will be spending 4 years there.

Anything can happen anywhere but I don’t see why Clark would be any different than the others. Worcester has WPI, Holy Cross - lots sending kids there.

Id be at Clark and wouldn’t hesitate any moreso than the others.

Unfortunately the real world has monsters but they have to face them.

Thanks a lot for your reply, very helpful. Most probably, we will choose Clark.

Based on all you say, Whitman. It’s a really lovely school.

SLC is a real fit school, imo. If she is concerned about the ratio, she should pay attention to that.

I like Clark. I don’t worry about neighborhoods. There are campus police and students aren’t as dumb as we think they are. There are two other prominent colleges nearby.

How is it that you have three choices this late in the game?

We read a few news reports and student comments on Clark neighbourhood safety issues, that’s why the impression that Clark is less safe than the other two.

Thanks for your sharing. We feel much reassured.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Indeed, all three are interesting. My daughter got off one waiting list and met one conditional offer recently.

Regarding campus safety, some of the more common campus safety issues are not really about the neighborhood, but have to do with sexual misconduct often after student parties with alcohol.

5 Likes

Indeed, can happen in all schools.

Clark is fabulous–we visited and it is on my daughter’s list for apps. We are not concerned about the neighborhood. Although it is very urban in appearance, it is fine in safety for the Clarkies. We live in what most people would call a fairly dangerous city, and in those places. crime is truly unpredictable. It doesn’t confine itself to the “bad” neighborhoods. Clark has cultivated its relationship with its community, and things are pretty positive there.

6 Likes

It sounds like Clark is your favorite. Safety concerns should not bump it down.

3 Likes

We took a school off our list because it was in an area with nightly car jackings and gunfire. That is certainly not what Clark is like. There is one “sketchy” part of Worcester, but it’s totally avoidable and your daughter would have no reason to be there.

I live about 20 minutes from Worcester and was just there last week for lunch with a friend. We were both marveling at how “cute” it’s gotten and how much there was to do. My husband and I are even thinking of relocating from our sleepy suburban town now that our kids are grown to lower our taxes and have better access to all Worcester has to offer.

7 Likes