Class 2011 select wait list/deferred admission

<p>My s got select wait list and deferred admission for spring or fall 08.Major disappointment as stats were in the range. Minority,1190,92 gpa,ap,good ec's,National H Society and all else very good.This was first choice but have options including 4 yr tuition merit scholarship elsewhere. Are there any students who were select wait list and got in and or took Jan. deferred admission last year? We are concerned about not starting in Sept. and how it would effect college transition.</p>

<p>I don't know specifics about Geneseo but I know someone who was wait listed at Binghamton when he applied for Fall 2004. His GPA was less, SATs might have been a bit higher. He visited in person, expressed his desire to attend, and he was admitted.</p>

<p>hey i also got the select wait list from geneseo. i was disappointed as well...my two best friends were accepted one through early decision and the other yesterday...Also i applied early decision as well.... Basically my plan is to find a second choice college that i would like to attend for one semester.... I feel like i cant go a semester without being in school because i wont be able to get back into it mentally... In the middle of the semester im going to decide whether or not i love the school im attending and make my decision from there.. most likely i will transfer to geneseo because this Deferred Admission program is a gift from god,not a lot of schools do this. I really doubt there is going to any spaces this year for fall admission.. the competitiveness is just too much this year... geneseo received 2,000 more apps this year than last year... I basically have the same gpa, but a little bit lower SAT..Good Luck!!</p>

<p>No offense, but how the hell did your kid get waitlisted while I got straight out rejected. C-ish average and a 1300 SAT</p>

<p>SATs arent everything. GPA counts a lot and 90s are a lot higher than Cs. I don't know what your or their extra curriculars are but they are also a big factor in admission. Geneseo was also very competitive this year.</p>

<p>I was accepted ED and have a 96 (100 for senior year so far) and 1380 SATs.</p>

<p>My two best friends have 98 and 98 and 1180 and 1260 and were both select waitlisted.......hmmm</p>

<p>thats interesting about ur friends....it was just soooo freakinnn competitive this year that most applicants that would have gotten in a few years ago got either wait listed or rejected....im just thankful that i'm guaranteed a spot in January...i doubt there will be any spaces in the fall...my stats were 92.5 1120</p>

<p>I think we must have been wait listed for the sat 1190 because all else was really solid in a very competitive high school although I saw other acceptances with lower gpa and scores yet accepted,go figure.I was told there could be 100 -200 January admits although last year I think it was @80 and apparently they were tripling up on rooms with the new people.I agree Sept 07 looks doubtful but is it worth the hassle of Jan admit. Any Geneseo students on these boards? Please comment on mid year transition if you know.</p>

<p>If you all really want to go midyear, why not take 12-15 credits at your community college for the fall semester? Check out the core requirements and/or major requirements at Geneseo and speak to someone in the Dean's office about courses you're planning on taking in the fall so you're sure they'll all transfer and fulfill requirements.</p>

<p>It seems as Geneseo is very concerned with high SAT scores. I've known many people who should have been a possible "shoe in" for admission, except for their mediocre SATs and were rejected.</p>

<p>I personally believe Geneseo is trying to look good for USNEWS rankings</p>

<p>My daughter is also on the "select wait list" (Is there any other?) with deferred admission. Are all the kids on the list also accepted for deferred admission? 1250SATs, 98GPA, class rank 17th of 420. Lots of extras, mostly music, but also soccer... Interesting. I'm not sure what the "select" wait list means! My friend called me today and knows THREE accepted kids who are not going, so she's moved up on the list! I would also be very interested on hearing how others transitioned.</p>

<p>I've been told that because the Geneseo admits are higher caliber than in the past it is possible more kids might move up from the select list because the regular admits are likely to have gotten into higher caliber schools and thus have better options than in the past.Also there is a regular wait list behind select which at this stage would seem a tough place to be.The Dean of admissions is quoted as saying in Feb. that they expected about 80 kids on the select list.</p>

<p>"I personally believe Geneseo is trying to look good for USNEWS rankings"</p>

<p>The college has become very selective. It is not a bad thing. We should be happy that our colleges are trying to raise the standards.</p>

<p>There is an article in the Lamron (school paper) from Feb. that says 2500 - 3000 will be accepted for class size of 950.Also according to Princeton and Fiske the stats for wait list acceptances is 1% which is depressing but at least we are on the "select list".</p>

<p>If wait list acceptance rates are less than 1%, we are in big trouble as 1% of 80 just doesn't give my daughter much of a chance : ) ! My husband has also theorized that those "higher caliber" kids will be going to other schools also. Interesting angle. I'm not sure I agree or not. Did you hear this from someone at the college or is it just your theory also? Just curious.</p>

<p>The better choices theory comes from the school however I think even they don't know how it will ultimately shake out since this is their highest caliber group.It makes sense to me that most will have alot of options however you can't beat the cost factor if that is a major consideration.</p>

<p>1% wait list admit is undefined.If it doesn't include select wait (list since these students are alseo guaranteed deferred admission which would be a different stat entirely) then the incredibly low 1% makes sense.Perhaps there is still hope.We really wanted Geneseo but Sept 07 still looks like a long shot.Any thoughts on deferred admission?</p>

<p>Im looking at deffered admission this way, im going to treat it like a "rejection", plan on going to my 2nd choice school which is stonybrook b/c i have to go to a suny.Im going to go into stonybrook with an open mind, even though right now im 100% sure that im transferring to geneseo the first chance i get. Plus theres always the slight possibility we can get in for fall 07. Does anybody know if were supposed to do anything, are you just supposed to sit around and wait or are you supposed to send them extra materials?</p>

<p>I would check with admissions to make sure they had all your documents as they wouldn't necessarily tell you if optional items not rec'd.</p>

<p>Kiko: Geneseo isn't the ONLY good SUNY school. I'm sure you are going to get the same education at Stony Brook. And who knows, you may like it there or decide that transferring isn't worth it. </p>

<p>You may want to write a short essay explaining to admissions why you want to come there so adamantly. Good luck and I'm sure you will find your niche somewhere, whether it be Geneseo or Stony Brook.</p>