Class 2011 select wait list/deferred admission

<p>Retromann:</p>

<p>I don't think September is such a long shot. If we assume 11,000 applicants this year and acceptance of 3000 for a class of 950, that means 68% of those accepted, or 2040 kids will be going somewhere else. Last year 9012 applied and 3732 were offered admittance. Assuming a class of 950 again, over 75% or 2800 kids, DID NOT accept. The administration is assuming approximately 760 FEWER students this year than last will make another choice. To me, that seems like a large number. </p>

<p>This is definitely a transitional year for this school and I think you were right in saying they don't know how their strategy is going to play out given the higher caliber of applicants.</p>

<p>If we assume that some of those "higher caliber" students will go the way of more attractive offers and if the figure of 80 students on the "select" wait list is accurate, I think we have a good chance. Like I said in an earlier post, I already know three! </p>

<p>Where else has your son applied?</p>

<p>Firsttimelisa, I much prefer your take on this whole thing.How does your daughter see things? My son sees only rejection and the thought of not starting in Sept. is something he presently can't see doing. Personally I feel if it's where you want to go, 1 semester locally or at a 2nd choice isn't so bad.Geneseo was and still is our first choice.I am still trying to find students who did this last year to get their impressions but no luck as of yet.</p>

<p>FirstMelissa, Where did you get the 3,000 accepted student stat from? It mentions it on Wikipedia but can't find it anywhere else.</p>

<p>My daughter was very disappointed initially and had a lot of trepidation about potentially not starting in September. I think I've convinced her it is not such a bad thing. It is only three months later and she does have a great friend there who could help with the transition. </p>

<p>We could always introduce them to each other!</p>

<p>Bran10-Apparently, that statistic was quoted in the school newspaper in Feb. according to an earlier post.</p>

<p>My daughter's guidance counselor called Geneseo on Friday and was told that they school expects it's avg. SAT range for this class (2011) to be about 1320-1450!</p>

<p>FirstMelissa- I also saw that article and it said 2500-3000 people were accepted and those numbers were consistent with last couple of years. The problem is it says on the geneseo website that 3700 people were accepted last year. Unless this year they have a new strategy and they are trying to becautious about how many people they accept just in case.</p>

<p>Firsttimelisa,bran10,Kiko89, It looks like all 4 of us are in the same boat. I hope all get in. Geneseo admissions, are you listening? Retroman88</p>

<p>"SAT range for this class (2011) to be about 1320-1450!"</p>

<p>WOW! That is comparable to top universities and top liberal arts schools. Although that is the range of the accepted students, not the students that are actually attending....</p>

<p>"SAT range for this class (2011) to be about 1320-1450!"</p>

<p>Whoaa mama</p>

<p>sheesh, i'm pretty glad i got accepted with a 3.8 gpa and 1290 sat</p>

<p>you know what i'm going to just apologize for forgetting the topic title before anyone says anything</p>

<p>my best friend got wait-listed here and this is his first choice as well</p>

<p>i think ur right, my mom forced me to apply to a few suny schools but i really dont have any intention of going. lol</p>

<p>yea i got select weightlisted. i plan on going in spring and taking some time off. were in the prime of our lives, why waste it. im planning to go to australia, get a holiday working visa, and stay there for a few months while supporting myself somewhat by working at a resteraunt. how many 18 year old kids can say they did that before college? anyway, good luck, maybe ill see some of you in the spring.</p>

<p>Admissions today said it looks like they will not reach any select wait list students for Sept.07.We will be going to SUNY Binghamton School of Management and if unhappy consider Jan 08 or Sept. 08 admission under the deferred admission guarantee. Although Binghamton is not as small or pretty as Geneseo certainly the business program is more impressive and better known. I am curiouis if any other wait list students got in or are still planning to accept deferred admission.</p>

<p>How long is deferred admission guaranteed? Will they notify us asking for a decision? My daughter has decided on UVM. I can't believe they will be taking no one off the "select" waitlist....</p>

<p>You should be getting a package in the mail about the guaranteed deferred admission.Admissions told me if Jan. admision they will transfer pretty much any liberal arts credits and for Sept 08 if coming from another school you would need at least a 3.0 .</p>