Class 2022 TAMU PSA Admissions Decision and Appeals

So that information regarding PSA decisions and appeals doesn’t get buried among other posts, I am starting this thread.

I posted this info on the 2022 Holistic Review Applicants page and am copying it here.

There was an applicant in class 2021 who shared her appeals process on the forum. She was offered PSA, appealed and gained full admissions to Mays. Her screen name is MollyKDolan and what she relates can be found here http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/20341200#Comment_20341200

There is some interesting information related about students with too many DC hours not being offered Blinn Team and could be a potential reason some folks who were not in the running for full admit were offered PSA instead of Blinn Team, due to having too many college hours already.

Her story relates to DC which maybe unique. I think most if us in this position are here due to space. Or missing the mark on one of many factors. Makes you wonder if the way to get in us to go to a less competitive school for an auto admit.

@mamma3g That has been on everyone’s mind for sure. Sadly though, going to a less competitive high school may not prepare your child to excel in college. I know many students who wen to a less than stellar school compared to my own kiddos and they have struggled at TAMU even though they were top 2%. It’s crazy to think about but if they weren’t automatic and they looked only at the test scores, there’s no way they would have gotten in. I would rather my kids compete against the best early on to prepare them for college and then the working world! So chin up… your child will do amazing things!!!

Yup all the kids are fine. Not being a texas native , this process has been informative.

@mamma3g - FYI, my husband and I r both Texans (Baylor) and this has been an eye opening experience for us too.

@Thelma2 We are not moving very quickly getting information and I may not be asking the best questions when I’ve had someone on the phone but here is what I have gotten. Daughter applied to LA for PSYC BS and then second PSYC BA. Offered PSA and was thankful to see Tarleton was offered as that was really the only school that appealed to her. PSYC is not on the PSA list of majors… So we talked to a student helping in Admissions and he suggested maybe Sociology as that was close and then try to change her major back to psychology once she gets to A&M. Daughter had been thinking to pair psychology with Human Resources so decided instead to take the Human Resources Development major offered through PSA at Tarleton and possibly minor in Psychology eventually. Talked to Molly Stewart in Admissions at Tarleton and they will receive a list of PSA’s who choose to come to Tarleton. They will not receive them until after Spring Break. Then it will usually take 5-10 days to enter the information as it is entered by hand. They will email you at the email used to apply at TAMU with information. They will then have an orientation session where students will meet with the PSA advisor from Tarleton (a Ms. Key I believe?) and she will advise the students. She will meet with the student several times a year to make sure they are staying on track and make sure their credits will transfer. Ms. Stewart really didn’t think that Ms. Key will likely be able to offer any help until they get the lists from TAMU and have all the information entered. Until that time I’m sure we might waste each other’s time by me maybe asking something that really doesn’t pertain to what is factual. :slight_smile: Not a huge help to you I’m sure but hope to know more soon. Thank you for your valuable time and attention to this process. Your wisdom and guidance have been a light in a rather dark tunnel! Have a blessed weekend!

@Thelma2 OHMYGOSH… I just typed a small book to you and it suddenly disappeared!!! Sigh. OK, I’m going to try again. I’m not getting super far but here’s the little bit I’ve gleaned. Talked to student answering the phone in Admissions and he first confirmed you do click the link to participate in PSA to see what schools you are offered. Daughter was happy to see Tarleton as that was the only one she really wanted. You aren’t an Aggie like you are on Blinn Team and no banner. :slight_smile: She will be a Tarleton Texan for a year. He said the transfer process is not difficult and as long as you stay on top of things and fill out your transfer paperwork ( I think you have it 3 months before it’s due and it sounded like there wasn’t much to do!) and meet the requirements, you will be an Aggie after that first year. I did call Tarleton after that and spoke with Molly Stewart in admissions. She told me that after Spring Break they will receive a list from TAMU of the students who have chosen PSA at Tarleton by that time and then hand-enter their information. After that is done they will send an email to the email address you used for your TAMU application and that email will contain information for the student in what comes next. They will have an orientation with the Tarleton PSA advisor (I believe she said her name is Ms. Key?) and she will also meet with the student several times over the year to make sure they are on top of things and they are in courses where credit will transfer. My daughter had applied to LA for either a BS or a BA in Psychology and that is not one of the majors offered by PSA. Both the TAMU guy and Ms. Stewart said she might choose Sociology since it was close and then apply to transfer to Psychology after the year at Tarleton. Since she had already been mulling the idea of majoring in Human Resource Development and maybe minoring in Psychology, that is what she chose as her major. It’s offered in the PSA program and also at TAMU so she thought that might be the easiest way to go and a better chance of getting a job after graduation! I hope I remembered everything I wrote the first time and haven’t made this too confusing. I hope I’ve included at least a crumb of useful information here. Thanks so much for your valuable time and guidance. You are a saint! Have a blessed weekend!

@aggieXdos Thank You for sharing this WONDERFUL information. This is so helpful for everyone on this forum and I will add it to my notes for the next cycle.

I hope some will pop in next year beginning in February (gosh, I hope things go back to “normal”) and be that encouraging light and helpful hand. You’ve all been through it now and are the pros.

Everyone, have a great Spring Break and congratulations to you for surviving this unusually long admissions cycle. To all of the students who are making choices for their next phase of this journey we call life, enjoy the rest of your Senior Year. It will FLY when Spring Break is over. Hug your folks. This is a new stage for all of you, whether you are the first to head to college, the second, or the last.

Hang around for NSC and registration stuff, and then rooms assignments. There is a lot to do, so don’t be a stranger. There are things you will want to know before you go.

We received our invite to the PSA information session at the end of March. It is in Arlington, TX. My daughter has chosen Tarleton as the PSA school. Looking forward to learning more. I have a feeling it’s gonna be a long year ahead of her being in Stephenville but being an Aggie is her ultimate goal.

Interesting… we are 40 minutes from arl but the only psa choice showed up for us was pretty much everything but Tarleton! We recieved a letter yesterday about an Info session in the past! Will go for information but plan on appealing. doesnt hurt !

@Hopefulaggmom , did your daughter already accept the PSA on Howdy or AIS? Wondering if those who accepted it got the email or if all who were offered PSA got it.

@aggieXdos, did you just call TAMU admissions at college station? Wasn’t sure they would be there this week but if so, I’ll get my son to call tomorrow.

@mamma3g or others: Would anyone know why some students are offered some schools and not others? Is it based on the declared major? It might not be too late to apply to Tarleton, but it might involve another application fee. Perhaps the school would waive that fee.

@aggie323 Yes, she accepted the PSA offer on AIS. They had to open up a 2nd session apparently so many were interested.

Theres an aggie board on fb. One of the parents said there was 27000 holistic candidates and 1000-1500 were offered blinn/team and only 450 were offered PSA. I dont know if its true but this parent said they spoke directly to admissions and they stated it was a brutal year. Theres also quite a few positive threads on psa and blinn. If that is the case we will def entertain at least hearing what the program is about.

@mamma3g Would you mind sharing the FB page name. Would love to know others in the same boat.

Offered PSA, but what if your major is not a choice on the list of the PSA schools? Do you just pick a different major from their list?

I think you should pick the closest major, but not sure.

@M0mmaL0ve Look at the incoming transfer requirements for Visualization major. Then look across the PSA schools offered to find the school offering the required courses for transfer. If there is no major at any PSA school offered that has a full overlap, I would immediately call the Visualization department advisor at A&M and ask for a recommendation! They must see transfers, and they should be able to help you. Keep a good record of the name of the person you speak with and notes about the conversation, as has been suggested here. Your student could supply that information later on the transfer application. If you have an alternate school besides PSA, find out whether it offers the transfer courses needed. @LTEMOM is having the exact same dilemma in another thread. Compare notes!!

Has anyone received any information regarding their PSA acceptance from either TAMU or the system school?

@ArrowGreen We received a letter in the mail and are attending an informational session we were invited to in Arlington next week.