Class 2025 chance me any UCs?

4.00 W
3.85 UW
English major
31 ACT perfect English score (doesn’t count :frowning: sucks)
VP Creative Writing club plus other ECs
4 APs, 3 honors
Sports 4 years
good essays

What UCs are a good fit? What are a reach?

All 3 UC GPA’s: https://rogerhub.com/uc-undergraduate-admissions-calculator/

HS course rigor?
EC’s?
Intended Major?

How do you compare academically to your fellow classmates? Are you in the top 10% of your class?

UCB and UCLA should always be considered a Reach. Since the UC’s will either be test optional or test blind (depends upon the court ruling), GPA will be a major factor.

If your capped weighted GPA is 4.0, that puts your GPA below the 50th percentile for all but 3 campuses. See below:

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 12%
UCLA: 7%
UCSD: 33%
UCSB: 32%
UCD: 47%
UCI: 35%
UCSC: 72%
UCR: 87%
UCM: 96%

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 38%
UCLA: 35%
UCSD: 71%
UCSB: 73%
UCD: 84%
UCI: 55%
UCSC: 85%
UCR: 97%
UCM: 98%

**2020 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range: **
UCB: 4.22 (4.13-4.30)
UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.31)
UCSD: 4.18(4.04-4.28)
UCSB: 4.17 (4.03-4.27)
UCI: 4.11 (3.96-4.26)
UCD: 4.11 (3.97-4.25)
UCSC: 3.94 (3.71-4.16)
UCR: 3.88 (3.65-4.11)
UCM: 3.68 (3.40-3.96)

All the UC campuses are very different so what are you looking for in particular to make it a good fit?

this is very helpful, I have a very competitive HS, puts a ton of kids at UCs. Only 4 APS is low but as an English major with perfect ACT english score I am bummed to not be able to use this in app

Each UC is vastly different, so this depends on what you like for yourself.
Area? (Coastal, inland, suburban, rural)
University department with strong English majors.
Campus size
Are sports teams important?
Commuter vs. resident feel.
Weather

@socalgb: Your application will be reviewed in the context of your school so going to a competitive HS could be an advantage or disadvantage.

There is no magic # of AP’s to take for any college, but the UC’s do consider Hs course very important so it will matter how you stack up against your fellow classmates.

What is your career goal as an English major?

Since the UC’s test policy decision is in flux, I would send my test scores to all the schools that you apply unless they specifically state they are test blind like the Cal states.

The top UC for English is considered to be UCB, but all the UC’s are good options. Also look at some of the Cal states such as Cal Poly SLO, San Diego State, Cal State Long Beach and San Jose State. If your goal is teaching, the Cal state programs could be better options.

Some private schools to consider in California are Chapman, Occidental, Loyola Marymount and Santa Clara as an English major.

Make sure you have at least 1-2 safety schools on your list and then you can expand from there.

Best of luck.

I want to be an english teacher HS level. I am applying OOS too, but I live in SOCAL so it would be nice to save $ and stay in state. I got 20K in merit already from another OOS school.

Just wondering if my numbers are too low for mid tier UCs. I’d love to be at UCSB or UCSD…I wish I could send my ACT scores in to help, but I guess we are all in the same boat.

As of now the submission of test scores is up in the air. I would send in your test scores to the UC’s since this is the statement present by the UC’s after the court injunction.

UCSB and UCSD are possible but if the test blind policy stands, the other 13 areas of application criteria will have a greater impact meaning GPA and HS course rigor will be huge.

Apply widely since the UC’s tend to be unpredictable even with test score submission.

Best of luck.

I would apply to most of the UCs and some CSUs as back-up colleges. If you want to be a school teacher, it might make sense to cast a wide net at CA public schools to keep the undergraduate tuition costs low and not incur a large amount of debt.

When do you think this would be decided? On the UC website it is not clear. I assumed the court ruling would stand, but this statement makes it seem like even though the court ruled against the use of these tests the UCs are still able to decide for themselves if they want to use them.

Your information is VERY helpful, thank you

Thoughts??

The First Appellate District Court of Appeal in California stayed a case against the UC Board of Regents that required the UC system to cease its use of the SAT and ACT in its admissions process until further order from the court.

According to the court docket, the decision is pending further consideration of the petition to stay the case. As the case is temporarily stayed, the UC system may use the SAT and ACT in its admissions at this time.

https://www.dailycal.org/2020/09/24/appellate-court-temporarily-stays-ruling-requiring-uc-to-cease-use-of-sat-act-in-admissions/

you have a good shot at UCSC, UCR and UCM. The rest of the UCs will be a stretch.

I’d also apply to SDSU, CSULB and Sonoma all 3 have honors programs you may qualify for.

Apply and tour broadly -

good luck.

1 Like

Just an FYI: SDSU was originally started as a Teachers College, so they have a long history in Teacher prep.

Weighted capped UC gpa - 3.64 (I know, yikes)
SAT score - 1540
PSAT (junior year) - don’t remember but 96th percentile

AP Classes:
-Freshman Year
AP Human Geography: Score of 4
-Sophomore Year:
AP World History: Score of 5
AP Physics 1: Score of 3
AP Computer Science A: not being submitted
AP Environmental Science: not being submitted
- Junior Year:
AP United States History: 4 (prediction)
AP English Language: 5 (prediction)
AP Biology: 4 (prediction)
AP Calculus BC: 4 (prediction)
AP Physics C Mechanics: 3 (prediction)
AP Physics C Electricity and Magnetism: 2 (prediction)
AP Spanish Language and Culture: 5 (prediction)
-Senior Year:
AP Phycology
AP Seminar
AP English Literature
AP Spanish Literature
AP Chemistry
AP Statistics
AP Government
AP Economics
AP Physics 2

Extracurriculars: Younger then grade level (will be 16 at time of graduation) thus internships/volunteering was limited due to age restrictions. Same thing with work experience.

• Arabic School Volunteering
  • Teaching math to elementary School students who don’t speak English
  • Possibly hospital volunteering this summer when I am of age.

Immigrant, first generation US college student, moving many times inside of the US including across states, low income family, couldn’t work bc of age/immigration papers, 16 at time of graduation

3 clubs sophomore year, none junior year (covid)

Significant improvement in GPA from sophomore year to 1st semester junior year to 2nd semester junior year

Biochemistry or molecular/cell biology major, premed route

Planning on applying to all the UCs except for Merced, thought on chances of admission?