Class of 18 Roll Call...who's applied and who's been accepted

<p>kjcphmom~</p>

<p>Congratulations!!!</p>

<p>Yay! Congrats.</p>

<p>Texasmom - Congratulations to your son! Will he be swimming on the varsity team or a club team? My daughter just applied to University of Alabama, and just waiting to hear back. She is also a swimmer and is applying to 8 schools, half of which she’d be on the varsity swim team and the other half where she’s not fast enough for the varsity team. Thought it’d be great if there’s a University of Alabama club team should she choose to continue swimming. After reading all the positive and passionate feedback about UA, and with her qualifying for the Presidential Scholarship, I told her we need to look at Alabama. Hoping to visit soon!</p>

<p>1dilecon - Alabama unfortunately does not have a club swim team. But they do have a club tri-a-thon team.</p>

<p>1dilecon Yes he will be a Varsity swimmer. If your daughter could be a varsity swimmer at another college you might have her contact the coaching staff at Bama and see if she could be a walk on, once she gets to school in the fall.</p>

<p>ahsmuoh - Thanks for the info on the triathlon club - I will definitely suggest that to her as a possibility.</p>

<p>TexasMomalso - Congratulations to your son making the varsity team - that is awesome! Looking at their times on collegeswimming.com, they are a really fast team. What a great accomplishment to be able to swim with them. My daughter is being recruited primarily by D3 schools, but the triathlon club may be a good option for her if she goes to UA. Best wishes to your son for a great short course season!</p>

<p>1dilecon</p>

<p>I just did a search on the
usa swimming site and it looks like there is a USA swim club swim team.
Here is a link to the page. Not a college club team however a USA club team. </p>

<p>[Crimson</a> Tide Aquatics :](<a href=“http://www.ctaswim.com/Home.jsp?team=ctass]Crimson”>http://www.ctaswim.com/Home.jsp?team=ctass)</p>

<p>TexasMomalso - Thanks! I discovered the UA Masters Group under Crimson Tide Aquatics earlier today when I was googling University of Alabama rising Tide, after seeing your earlier post. Good to know there are some other options.</p>

<p>Student Gender: Male</p>

<p>Home State: MD</p>

<p>Date Applied: Aug 2013</p>

<p>Date Accepted: Oct 2013 (HS transcript took a while to get to Tuscaloosa); received notice of acceptance for Presidential Scholarship and Engineering Scholarship in Nov 2013</p>

<p>Have you visited the campus?: Yes, big brother is already on campus in the STEM/MBA program</p>

<p>Major: Engineering</p>

<p>Applying to the Honors College?: yes- applying for both Computer-based honors and University Fellows Experience</p>

<p>Career goal(s): Undetermined; multiple interests.</p>

<p>Anything else you’d like to mention: We are ecstatic that both boys will be at UA together. The entire UA experience has been wonderful from our first campus visit two years ago. Our younger son had a resume that could have taken him anywhere but there was never even a doubt that it would be UA. Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Home State: Florida (Miami… Pretty much its own state.)</p>

<p>Date Applied: Nov. 18, 2013</p>

<p>Date Accepted: Nov. 25, 2013</p>

<p>Have you visited the campus?: Not yet</p>

<p>Major: Undecided.</p>

<p>Applying to the Honors College?: Yeah</p>

<p>Any else you’d like to mention: Originally planning on majoring in Industrial Design at Arizona State (Full tuition scholarship there too, at Barrett Honors College) but Bama’s much closer to home. I’ve already visited ASU and am pretty set on them but I’ll visit Tuscaloosa and see how I like it.</p>

<p>Welcome!!</p>

<p>Miguel…</p>

<p>Do try to visit Bama…I think you’ll be very impressed by all the new facilities.</p>

<p>If you do visit, first set up the campus tour online…try for an early morning time! Don’t bother with the “info session”, you’ll get that info here pretty much on the Alabama forum on College Confidential which is VERY active.*
<a href=“http://talk.college-confidential.com/university-alabama/[/url]”>http://talk.college-confidential.com/university-alabama/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>In the email include:</p>

<p>Student’s name and contact info</p>

<p>Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.</p>

<p>GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)</p>

<p>Likely majors*</p>

<p>Career interests (including med, law, etc)</p>

<p>Anything particular that you want to see. *If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard</p>

<p>Here’s a video and pics about the school…
[The</a> University of Alabama College of Arts & Sciences “This is How College is Meant to Be” - YouTube](<a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube)</p>

<p><a href=“Titanium Chef | Home”>http://acresummit.ua.edu/store/store_files/Jason_Walker-207.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Pics of the new Science & Engineering Complex begin on page 6, Student housing pics begin on page 12.</p>

<p>Daughter was recently accepted.</p>

<p>Student Gender: Female</p>

<p>Home State: Illinois</p>

<p>Date Applied: Late Oct, 2013</p>

<p>Date Accepted: Nov. 15?, 2013</p>

<p>Major: Biology (pre-med focus)</p>

<p>Applying to the Honors College?: Yes</p>

<p>Any else you’d like to mention:</p>

<pre><code> 1. Thanks, UA, for the generosity of the Pres Scholarship!
2. Anyone have any thoughts on whether the Capstone Scholars Day thing is worthwhile enough to make the trip down from Chicago to attend?
</code></pre>

<p>Congratulations to your daughter, foursite!</p>

<p>If you haven’t visited the campus, I think Capstone Scholars day is a worthwhile trip.</p>

<p>If you come for CSDay, then it’s a good idea to come on Thursday so that you can spend Friday really visiting the campus, meeting with profs, etc…have the Honors College set these meetings up for you.</p>

<p>If you do come on Thursday, first set up the campus tour online…DO THIS ASAP!!!..the spots fill up quickly!!!..try for an early morning time! </p>

<p>Then, in the email to Allison and Susan include:</p>

<p>Student’s name and contact info</p>

<p>Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.</p>

<p>GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)</p>

<p>Likely majors*</p>

<p>Career interests (including med, law, etc)</p>

<p>Anything particular that you want to see. *If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard</p>

<p>Here’s a video and pics about the school…
[The</a> University of Alabama College of Arts & Sciences “This is How College is Meant to Be” - YouTube](<a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube)</p>

<p><a href=“Titanium Chef | Home”>http://acresummit.ua.edu/store/store_files/Jason_Walker-207.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Pics of the new Science & Engineering Complex begin on page 6, Student housing pics begin on page 12</p>

<p>Thanks! Appreciate the thoughts, well-wishes and very useful advice and information!</p>

<p>Student Gender: Female</p>

<p>Home State: Fort Myers, Florida</p>

<p>Date Applied: 11/18/13</p>

<p>Date Accepted: 11/27/13</p>

<p>Have you visited the campus?: Not yet, visit scheduled for 12/20/13</p>

<p>Major: Aerospace Engineering</p>

<p>Career goal(s): Design military aircraft for a large defense contractor like Boeing, Lockheed Martin, or Northrop Grumman.</p>

<p>Any else you’d like to mention: I want to thank the CC community and mom2collegekids especially! It was because of you that we found out about UA and the generous merit scholarships. Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>Home State: North Carolina</p>

<p>Date Applied: 10/12/13</p>

<p>Date Accepted: 10/25/13</p>

<p>Have you visited the campus?: Yes, a few times</p>

<p>Major: Computer Science but thinking about double majoring with Telecommunications and Film</p>

<p>Career goal(s): My dream job is to make movies but, ya know, got to have some realistic goals. Ultimately I want a job that is secure and pays well and I hope that choosing an engineering path can help with that.</p>

<p>Anything else you’d like to mention: I have a sister who is currently at UA and she loves it there, she is in Blount majoring in English.</p>

<p>Student Gender: xx</p>

<p>Home State: Hawaii</p>

<p>Date Applied: Oct 22, transcript received Nov 8</p>

<p>Date Accepted: Around Nov 15</p>

<p>Have you visited the campus?: nope</p>

<p>Major: Poli Sci</p>

<p>Applying to the Honors College?: If I can ever motivate myself to do the essay (in all actuality, yes). If I get it done soon enough, I’ll probably also apply for UFE. </p>

<p>Career goal(s): academia </p>

<p>Any else you’d like to mention: Presidential Scholarship. Really hoping on NMF so that I’ll have super duper financial back up.</p>

<p>Welcome all.</p>

<p>NHD…for the regular HC app, the “essay” really isn’t an essay. Just write a couple of sentences introducing yourself. Seriously. I’m not even sure anyone reads those since acceptance is by stats.</p>

<p>However, for UFE, the essays must be top-notch.</p>

<p>Very excited that D is officially accepted. Now she just has to get her dance audition materials sent and cross her fingers.</p>

<p>Student Gender: F</p>

<p>Home State: Michigan</p>

<p>Date Applied: Nov. 25
Date Accepted: Dec. 3</p>

<p>Major: Dance/Exercise Science</p>

<p>Applying to the Honors College?:Yes
Career goal(s): Performance (Broadway, touring company, cruise ship,…)</p>

<p>Any else you’d like to mention: NMSF</p>