Class of 2014 Nursing - Final Decision

<p>Boston College '14. The campus was beautiful and the clinical opportunities provided just seemed right. All other schools mentioned though are great choices!</p>

<p>My d was just accepted to Duquesne for Nursing. How does your daughter like the program? So far she has been accepted to URI and Catholic, but Duquesne gave her a merit scholarship. Any info would be appreciated. We have not visited the school yet.</p>

<p>^^^ Not sure if this would factor into your decision,but Dusquense students seem to be kind of “cliquey”…Many freshmen know one another from HS…We read about this on a forum,and when we visited the school,it was a topic covered by the moderator…It didn’t factor much in D decision,but it wasn’t a positive</p>

<p>Sent Honda a PM. You definitely need a visit to Duq if your kid is considering it. Their facilities and nursing required curriculum were probably the #1 selling point for D (friendliness-fit was #2). A visit will let your kid know if it’s a possible fit or not. </p>

<p>D loves it there so far. She says that she has not encountered cliques. There are 5-6 students from our H.S. at Duq as freshmen. D hasn’t seen some of those students on campus yet, although she has run into 2 upperclassmen from our H.S. She’s heard about some kids who room with h.s. friends, but the school is large enough that it doesn’t keep anyone from meeting new friends. She’s made international friends, and has met many out-of-state students.</p>

<p>Comparing her view of Duq to the large public universities attended by her siblings, D says that there isn’t as much diversity or kids going to class in pjs at Duq. (I view this as a negative). D says that she’s heard people say that Duq is full of rich kids. Since almost everyone she has met is there with scholarship $ or loans, I’m not sure where this impression comes from. D has mentioned that her professors have all been interested in getting to know each student on a one-on-one basis, even her professors in non-nursing subjects. </p>

<p>I have had a strong bias towards large public universities in the belief that they offer the most opportunities for undergrads at the lowest cost. I even tried to talk D into going to Pitt instead of Duq (cost was approximately the same after scholarships). I admit it - Duq has favorably surprised me.</p>

<p>“Fit” is very important…D was deferred at Pitt and didn’t get accepted…Pitt ,in my opinion, is the best program/value that we visited…Duq was giving significant merit aid,and we declined…If the choice is between Duq and Pitt,i can’t see how Duq measures up,unless COA Duq is significantly lower,or wanting to attend a smaller school…</p>

<p>Both programs use the same hospitals for rotations (in fact, rotations often include students from both schools). Duq’s facilities are impressive, and have just been improved again. Of course, Pitt has access to all of the hospitals next to the campus and Duq only has Mercy Hospital next-door. The academic programs do vary, and Pitt’s is much tougher IMO. We’re from Western PA, so we had plenty of time to question our doctors, nurses, and parents of friends who are medical practioners about the training that each school provides to nurses. D’s other parent was going through hospitalizations and nursing home admission when D was applying, so we collected a lot of opinions. Pitt’s nursing program is obviously highly regarded and tougher to get into but Duq’s program was also complimented by all of our interviewees. With scholarship $, the cost was the same so it was all about fit for D when weighing the two schools.</p>