Class of 2016 Early Action Decisions Thread

<p>kallie9903, I applied to USD too! I met with someone in the marine science department and I have to say UM’s marine science program is way more impressive. USD has to borrow a research vessel from someone else for just a single day and take the classes out in shifts, for instance. Plus, the diving can’t be beat! And keep in mind that the two aquatic worlds are completely different - USD is more of the kelp forests type, and Miami has the coral reefs.</p>

<p>applicant333</p>

<p>I think you should call them and ask if you can come the other weekend. I think in past years they were flexible. Good luck!</p>

<p>When do regular decision applicants find out if they got in ?</p>

<p>April 15th. Now I don’t know if that means on April 15th or by April 15th. Is Miami known to send out decisions before that? Are they online?</p>

<p>Pick one:
[ size=+2][ color=green][ b]Decision: Accepted[ /b][ /color][ /size]</p>

<p>[ b]Objective:[ /b][ list] Accepted with 11K Trustee’s Scholarship
[ *] SAT I (breakdown): 1940 (660 CR, 640 M, 640 W)
[ *] ACT:27
[ *] SAT II:720 Bio, 720 US History
[ *] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.63 UW, 4.24 W
[ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):Top 10%
[ *] AP (place score in parenthesis): Bio (5), US History (5), Lang (4), World History (4), US Gov’t (3)
[ *] IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
[ *] Senior Year Course Load:4 APs (Psych, Lit, Photo, AB Calc), Internship
[ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):AP Scholar with Distinction, Outstanding Participant in the 2012 National Achievement Scholarship Program, 2011 Achievement Week Winner for the Mu Nu Chapter of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Among other things:Varsity Swim and Dive (Captain), Tae Kwon Do (junior instructor), Science National Honor Society (Secretary), National Honor Society (Sponsor a Child/Adopt a Local Family Committee Chair), School Ambassador, Drama Club (Lighting Assistant in Bye Bye Birdie, Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast, Spotlight in You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown)
[ *] Job/Work Experience: Internship at Daversa Partners and International Child Art Foundation
[ *] Volunteer/Community service:I do a lot of community service with my 4 honor societies and I volunteer for the Montgomery Community Media (public access tv)
[ *] Summer Activities: My Daversa internship was during the summer. Also took a class at American called Film Exploration and Criticism
[ *] Essays: Common App essay about what I see when I look in the mirror and short essay about my Daversa internship
[ *] Teacher Recommendation: My AP Bio teacher and AP US History teacher/XC coach
[ *] Counselor Rec:Hopefully good, I’m close w/ my couselor
[ *] Additional Rec:N/A
[ *] Interview:N/A</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Other[ /b][ list]
[ *] Applied for Financial Aid?:Yes
[ *] Intended Major:Motion Picture and Business (maybe Pre-Law)
[ *] State (if domestic applicant):MD
[ *] Country (if international applicant):US
[ *] School Type:Public
[ *] Ethnicity:African American and Puerto Rican
[ *] Gender:Male
[ *] Income Bracket:IDK 100K+
[ *] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): IDK</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Reflection[ /b][ list]
[ *] Strengths:Essay, ECs, Recs
[ *] Weaknesses: Grades
[ *] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I love my essay
[ /list][ b]General Comments:[ /b] I didn’t apply for any scholarships. I love UMiami, but I don’t know if it’s my top-choice. Hopefully, I’m proof that grades aren’t everything.</p>

<p>Thank you SVMMom, </p>

<p>I sent an email explaining my situation, so I am still waiting on their response. Since I’ll be gone for a week, I won’t be able to attend the March 23/24th weekend OR the March 30/31st weekend. Does anybody know if these are the only two Singer Scholarship weekends? Do they have another weekend for Regular Decision students who are singer scholarship finalists? I just really hope I can still be considered for the scholarship!</p>

<p>Deferral!! 0k/year hah</p>

<p>Decision: ACCEPTED
Scholarship: 11k</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2010 CR: 670 M: 630 W: 710
ACT: didn’t take
SAT II: Math 1: 550 World History: 610
GPA (UW/W): 3.3/4.0</p>

<p>Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 20% I assume
AP (place score in parenthesis): Environmental (3) World History (3) Literature (4) US History (4)
AP Pending:
Senior Year Course Load: Journalism, Modern History of Genocide, Pre Calculus, EMS Certification, WISE English and History (half year of english and history followed by half year internship)
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar with Honors</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): 2 years in BuildOn (community service program) - one year went to Nicaragua to build a school, one year community service officer, 3 years French Club, 1 year school paper </p>

<p>Job/Work Experience:1 year at Panera Bread, 6 months at Kmart, 7 months at Zumiez (both Zumiez & Kmart at the same time) working 30+ hours a week since the beginning of junior year.
Volunteer/Community service: 300 hours - includes international service
Summer Activities: Girl Scout Camp - CIT, Lifeguard, CPR
Essays: about my service in nicaragua, edited by 3 teachers over 3 months.
Teacher Recommendation: I don’t know lol
Counselor Rec:I don’t know
Additional Rec:I don’t know
Interview:n/a</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
Intended Major: business
State (if domestic applicant): NY
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: public high school
Ethnicity: white
Income Bracket: >15,000
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: essay and curriculum
Weaknesses: junior year grades
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I don’t know, I think I bring a sense of diversity from my service and essay.
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Accepted to CUNY Baruch, CUNY Hunter, CUNY City, CUNY Brooklyn, UMass Amherst Isenberg School of Management, New College of Florida. Deferred from SUNY Binghamton to regular decision.</p>

<p>General Comments:I actually decided to apply about a day before the deadline and I didn’t think I’d make it. Congrats everyone!</p>

<p>I applied early action and the myUM page just says:
Your application has been sent to the admission committee for review. We appreciate your patience during this time and will mail your admission notification according to the application option you chose. For information about admission notification dates, go to [Freshmen</a> Application Options & Deadlines | Enrollment Management | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/deadlines]Freshmen”>Options and Deadlines | Undergraduate Admission | University of Miami).</p>

<p>Anyone else not get their decision yet? I live in Georgia, if that has anything to do with it. Where did you guys see your decision–mail or myUM?</p>

<p>It will appear on MyUM right when you sign in. Don’t worry. They are sending out decisions in batches and it is very likely that you will receive a decision tomorrow or the next day, since they said the rest of the decisions will come out “in the next few days” and that was said Friday.</p>

<p>Sorry for this being a little late, but my weekend’s been pretty busy :)</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted with $24k University Scholarship and Singer/Stamps Invite</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2310 (800 Writing, 760 Math, 750 Critical Reading)
ACT: 35 (35 Science, 35 English, 35 Reading, 33
SAT II: None
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 13/327
AP (place score in parenthesis): Chemistry (5), World History (5), US History (5) English Language (5), Psychology (5), Calculus AB (5), Calculus BC (N/A), Statistics (N/A), Biology (N/A), English Literature (N/A), Macro/Microeconomics (N/A)
IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: AP Statistics, AP Calculus BC, AP Biology, AP English Literature, AP Economics, Teacher’s Aide
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Eagle Scout Candidate, National Merit Semifinalist</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Boy Scouts (Senior Patrol Leader, Troop Guide), Model Congress, Model UN, Key Club, National Honor Society, National Science Honor Society
Job/Work Experience: Membership Sales Representative at National Aquarium in Baltimore (Going on 3 years), Barista at Baltimore Coffee and Tea (1 year going on 2), Umpire (Going on 3rd year)
Volunteer/Community service: Volunteer at National Aquarium in Baltimore (Summer of 9th grade), Eagle Scout Project, Boy Scout
Community Service, Key
Summer Activities: Work
Essays: Good according to English teacher
Common App Main: A few spelling errrors, otherwise good
EC Short Answer: Good according to English teacher
Teacher Recommendation: Didn’t see, but teacher and I are close so assuming pretty good
Counselor Rec: Didn’t see, assuming pretty good</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Marine Science and Biology
State (if domestic applicant): Maryland
Country (if international applicant): N/A
School Type: Public, National Blue Ribbon
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Income Bracket: $110k
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: Passion, initiative
Weaknesses: Class Rank maybe?
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Passion conveyed through Essay, 4.0 GPA, really good ACT and SAT score, Strength of Schedule
General Comments: Words cannot begin to describe how overjoyed I am :)</p>

<p>Hey guys! My post is a little late, too, but I’ve read so many of the past year’s posts that hopefully this can help someone else :)</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted!
Scholarship: $24,000 with a Singer/Stamps Invite</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2080 (710 CR, 660 M, 710 W)
ACT: 34 Comp
SAT II: N/A
GPA (UW/W): 4.0 UW, 4.6 W
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 6/666 (top 1%)
AP (place score in parenthesis): Human geography (5), Lang/Comp (5), U.S. History (4), Environmental (5)
AP Pending: Lit/Comp, Microecon, U.S. Gov, Calc AB, Biology
Dual Enrollment Courses: Botany, Issues in Horticulture, South Florida History
Senior Year Course Load: American Musical Theater, AP Lit, AP Micro Econ, AP Gov, AP Calc AB, AP Bio, Zoology Hon, Physics Hon and 3 Dual Enrollment credits through a fellowship at a local university (Survey of South Florida Environmental Issues, Environmental Service Learning, and an Environmental Education Internship)
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar, Bronze Congressional Award, Silver/Bronze Congressional Certificates</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): National Honor Society (secretary), Green Initiative “Green Tuesdays” Chair Committee holder, Envirothon team member (this is an environmental competition sponsored by Canon where my team and I went to the national championships last summer and placed 9th out of 54 teams), piano performer for 13 years (passed National Guild auditions with high honors), varsity swim team for 4 years, member of local club swim team for 8 years, and member of the 4-year magnet Environmental Research and Field Studies Academy at my school
Job/Work Experience: N/A
Volunteer/Community service: environmental volunteering like National public lands day/beach clean ups, volunteer piano performances (200+ hours)
Summer Activities: N/A
Essays: brought my mom to tears… for whatever that’s worth haha
Teacher Recommendation: Well, I was flattered by them
Counselor Rec: didn’t read
Additional Rec: N/A
Interview: N/A</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: no
Intended Major: biology/pre-med
State (if domestic applicant): Florida
Country (if international applicant): N/A
School Type: large public
Ethnicity: white
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: consistency of application, essay, and extra curriculars
Weaknesses: SAT score
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I prayed
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: only applied 3 other places because this was my top choice</p>

<p>General Comments: This was my dream school, and I cannot wait to join you all in August! Again, I hope this helps some of you who are applying in the coming years!</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted with Trustee Scholarship</p>

<p>Academics:
GPA - Unweighted: 3.85
ACT: 31</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:
Significant Extracurriculars: theatre, model un, mathletes, hospice care patient volunteer
Leadership positions: secretary, VP, president of thespians; secretary then president of model UN
Volunteer/Service Work: hospice care patient volunteer
Honors and Awards: st. lawrence university book award, principal’s honors (all four years)
College Summer programs: high school summer scholar at wustl past 2 summers</p>

<p>Ethnicity: Caucasian
State: MO
Interview: None</p>

<p>Strengths: ACT and GPA (for Miami), EC’s, essay was not terrible
Weaknesses: ACT score and transcript were late, didn’t express much interest…</p>

<p>Not my top choice, but still cool to get in. I more than likely will not attend, but my pending decisions will determine that!</p>

<p>**Decision: Accepted **</p>

<p>SAT I (breakdown): 1910
GPA (UW/W): 3.78/4.49
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School doesn’t rank
AP (place score in parenthesis): US Governemnt (5), World History (4), Biology (4), Language and Composition (5), Spanish Language (5), Calculus (2)
AP Pending: Statistics, Literature, Comparative Government, Spanish Literature
Major Awards: AP Scholar With Distinction </p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
-National Honor Society (Treasurer)
-Spanish Honor Society (VP)
-member of a bunch of other clubs
-Varsity Soccer
-Varsity Lacrosse
-Class President (freshman year)
Job/Work Experience:
-Internship at NASDAQ
-Internship at Comcast SportsNet
-Lacrosse Camp Counselor
Volunteer/Community service:
-Candy Striper
-Lacrosse Counselor (different camp)
-Volunteered at a nonprofit
Essays: Pretty solid and unique
Teacher Recommendation: I assume good- I never saw though
Counselor Rec: The same for teacher recs
Interview: none</p>

<p>Other
Intended Major: Business
State: Maryland
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White

<p>Reflection
Strengths: Extracurriculars/WGPA
Weaknesses: SAT scores are low</p>

<p>Alright, thanks Mango15!
It’s still not on, but I’m hoping it’ll come up tomorrow. (:</p>

<p>I called the admissions office yesterday, and they said that the next batch of decisions should come out sometime on Wednesday!</p>

<p>Guess mine should be updated tomorrow then. Thanks for the info!</p>

<p>Decision: ACCEPTED!!!</p>

<p>Scholarship: Probably nothing </p>

<p>SAT I (breakdown): Didn’t send
ACT: 29
SAT II:
GPA (UW/W): 3.25 (School only uses weighted, <em>0.5/1.0</em>)
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School doesn’t rank
AP (place score in parenthesis): Human Geography (4)
AP Pending: Environmental Science
Senior Year Course Load: Honors English, AP Environmental Science, PreCalculus, Stagecraft, Journalism, Ethics, US Government
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): None…</p>

<p>Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
3 Year Varsity Wrestling (District Champion 2x/Regional Qualifier/Captain)
5 Year Varsity Lacrosse (3 Time State Champion/Captain)
2 Year Varsity Football (Starting Runningback)
Jewish Forum (4 Years)
Young Politicians (2 Years)
Film Club (1 Year)</p>

<p>Job/Work Experience: None
Volunteer/Community service: Nothing too specific
Summer Activities: Sports…
Essays: Excellent
Teacher Recommendation: Very good I know for a fact
Interview: Nope</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Economics
State (if domestic applicant): Florida
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Private
Ethnicity: White

<p>Strengths: Sports
Weaknesses: GPA
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Miracles do happen</p>

<p>General Comments:
Glad they recognize that I go to a very difficult private school and I excel at 3 varsity sports. Not an easy task.</p>

<p>Accepted</p>

<p>[ b]Objective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SAT I (breakdown):2160 (1400)
[ *] ACT:N/A
[ *] SAT II:N/A
[ *] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.92 UW
[ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 82/422
[ *] AP (place score in parenthesis): 3 AP’s (scored 4 or 5) plus taking 3 now
[ *] IB (place score in parenthesis):
[ *] Senior Year Course Load: AP Lit/Lang, AP Gov, AP Econ, Calc., DECA (adv. marketing), Link Crew/tutor
[ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Link Crew (commissioner), Cheerleader, NHS
[ *] Job/Work Experience: yes
[ *] Volunteer/Community service: yes
[ *] Summer Activities: traveled abroad as student intern in business-related program
[ *] Essays:
[ *] Common App Main:
[ *] EC Short Answer:
[ *] “Profile” questions:
[ *] Intellectual Vitality Essay:
[ *] Letter to Roommate Essay:
[ *] What matters to you and why? Essay:
[ *] Teacher Recommendation: (2) probably very good
[ *] Counselor Rec: yes
[ *] Additional Rec:
[ *] Interview: yes</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Other[ /b][ list]
[ *] Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
[ *] Intended Major: Business
[ *] State (if domestic applicant): WA
[ *] Country (if international applicant):
[ *] School Type: Large suburban
[ *] Ethnicity: W
[ *] Gender: F
[ *] Income Bracket:
[ *] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Reflection[ /b][ list]
[ *] Strengths:
[ *] Weaknesses:
[ *] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected:
[ /list][ b]General Comments:[ /b] Received $11,000 trustee scholarship so will probably not attend. Miami has informed us that they prefer lower stats who are higher ranked than someone higher stats but lower rank. Our school has hundreds of kids who take 5+ AP tests each year so it is very difficult to rank in the top 10%.</p>

<p>Miami has informed us that they prefer lower stats who are higher ranked than someone higher stats but lower rank.</p>

<p>Interesting they would flat out tell you that - I have always suspected it but never seen it in “writing” anywhere. Thanks for sharing.
~Zinc</p>