Class of 2016 Early Action Decisions Thread

<p>Decision: …finally Accepted…today
Scholarship: $20,000 Dickinson Scholarship</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 1770 (CR 600, Writing 620, Math 550)
ACT: 27
SAT II: US History 650, Literature 660
GPA (UW/W): 3.93 UW 4.45 W
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 10% of 599 students
AP (place score in parenthesis): US History (4) AP Comp (4)
AP Pending: AP Chemistry, AP Lit
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): State Poetry Winner, National Writing Contest semi-finalist, Poetry Expo Finalist, etc.</p>

<p>Extracurricular (place leadership in parenthesis): National Honor Society, Lacrosse, Track and Field 2yrs, Poetry Club, Student Council, Junior Marshall
Job/Work Experience:
Volunteer/Community service: Academic Tutor 3ys, Community Service Volunteer, Church Youth Volunteer
Essays: Excellent
Teacher Recommendation: Excellent X2 recommendations
Counselor Rec: Not disclosed
Additional Rec: None
Interview: None</p>

<p>Intended Major: English - Creative Writing
State (if domestic applicant): Non-Florida Resident
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: African American
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Strong Creative Essay, Arts Supplement for Creative Writing submitted.
Strengths: Academics, Creative Writing Ability, Community Service
Weaknesses: Math SAT
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Great Overall Academic Record, Creative Writing Exposure</p>

<p>General Comments: Most great schools are looking at more than test scores. They are interested in students who can contribute to the overall college community, as well as, the global community. Believe in Youself!</p>

<p>Congratulations Pt!! I certainly learned something (to aid in my hobby of chancing potential UM scholars) from your resume. As you said, test scores sometimes aren’t the key component in what the admissions group is looking for. Although I would suggest that your overall UW GPA shows your ability to test well in the classroom.<br>
Well done!
~Zinc</p>

<p>PtDvne27, congrats. Would you tell us what state your from?</p>

<p>Does anybody know why Early Decision Rate is Lower than Regular, while Early Action is Higher ? Thanks</p>

<p>My hypothesis is that people who apply Early Decision tend to be lesser applicants than those who apply at any other time. UM is likely a reach school for them, otherwise they wouldn’t have applied <em>binding</em> early decision. For applicants who have a good chance at getting into UM, they’ll also apply to more competitive schools than UM, and these more competitive schools are likely to be the ones to which they apply ED.</p>

<p>In short, you don’t usually apply ED to a school that you have a good shot of getting into. You apply ED to a school for which your numbers are less than ideal in the hopes that it will show just how much you want to attend and thus improve your chances of being admitted.</p>

<p>[xsize=+1][xcolor=green][xb]Decision: Accepted [x/b][x/color][x/size]</p>

<p>[ *] Scholarship: University (24k) -> Singer Scholarship/ Foote Fellowship</p>

<p>[/list][ b]Objective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SAT I (breakdown): 2300- 800 CR, 780 M, 720 W (4th sitting, but at once)
[ *] ACT:
[ *] SAT II: 800 USH, 780 Math IIC, 700 Lit<br>
[ *] GPA (UW/W): 3.69 UW, 5.93 W (3 Cs in Junior Year…)
[ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 4%
[ *] AP (place score in parenthesis): 5s on World History, US History, Euro, US Gov, Chemistry, English Literature, Calculus AB
[ *] AP Pending: ???
[ *] Senior Year Course Load: Debate, Jazz Band IV H, AP Psych, English Lang, Human Geography, Bio, Physics C: Mech. Also taking Calc BC, US Gov, Macro/Micro, and Environmental Science on Virtual School with potential self study in Art History and Comparative Government.
[ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): NMSF, AP Scholar w/ Distinction, regional poetry competition, JSA awards, Debate Awards, Jazz Soloist Awards</p>

<p>[/list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Debate (4 yrs, Cptn), Band (Jazz, marching, concert, combo, soloist, section leader, multi-instrument, etc) JSA, FBLA (6th place at Nationals), Like 7 Honor Societies, Track and Field, Cross Country, Newspaper
[ *] Job/Work Experience: Intern for political campaign in 2010
[ *] Volunteer/Community service: 350 hours from band
[ *] Summer Activities: band camp, debate camp (at UM!), fun, travel, beach, read
[ *] Essays: Great.
[ *] Common App Main: an experience on riding the metro
[ *] EC Short Answer: refounding the debate team
[ *] “Profile” questions: i don’t remember any of these… ouch
[ *] Intellectual Vitality Essay: ???
[ *] Letter to Roommate Essay: i think this is for a different school. awk.
[ *] What matters to you and why? Essay: ok this isn’t cool anymore
[ *] Teacher Recommendation: Good. They talked about specific creative projects I’ve done (english and journalism teachers)
[ *] Counselor Rec: generic. go to public school, non magnet : /
[ *] Additional Rec: none
[ *] Interview: none</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Other[ /b][ list]
[ *] Applied for Financial Aid?: yeah
[ *] Intended Major: International Studies/ Economics/ Political Science
[ *] State (if domestic applicant): FL
[ *] Country (if international applicant):
[ *] School Type: Public, nonmagnet ~2000 kids
[ *] Ethnicity: white
[ *] Gender: male
[ *] Income Bracket: ~100k
[ *] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): mega legacy at UM (5 family members as alumni and 1 uncle who teaches)</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Reflection[ /b][ list]
[ *] Strengths: Scores, Legacy, Essays, Rigor, ECs
[ *] Weaknesses: junior year GPA, that really hurt me elsewhere.
[ *] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: the strengths, and not the weaknesses
[ /list][ b]General Comments:[ /b] Go Canes! class of 2016 woot! I never much considered this a top choice of mine. 3 Ivy rejections later, it became a top choice : D But seriously, if you’re smart and can get a good scholarship, UM should definitely compare to any school in the country. Visiting the campus again, hearing the deans and classes, really helped sway me. Sometimes it’s good to actually enjoy college without stress or cold and still have standout academics/sports/involvement/opportunities in a major city. I think Miami has it!</p>

<p>Thanks for explaining, I guess that Makes Sense. I will apply early action for Class of 2017 most likely since Miami is the highest ranked school on my list that offers it. They also love kids from my school.</p>

<p>Bumping last year’s EA decisions thread to the top since it sounds as if decisions will start to be released this Friday, following the pattern of a Friday afternoon release. Two years ago they were released on Friday, Jan 28th and last year it was Friday, Feb 3rd. </p>

<p>As you can see from this thread, all decisions were not available on that Friday, but continued to trickle out over the next week or two. I don’t know if that is typical but wanted to make sure this year’s applicants were aware that it did happen last year. </p>

<p>Best of luck to all!</p>

<p>Do we hear the decision via email or mail?</p>

<p>Iskikey - Via the portal and snail mail. Not email, from what I understand.</p>