***Class of 2016 NMSF/NMF Qualifying Scores

DD texted me this morning–a 215 makes the cut in Ohio! She received a letter from her school notifying her of this.

@WRUAustin So sorry to hear the disappointing news (We got bad news also). You were such a help to this group!

I would have thought a 219 was safe. I am sorry for the disappointing news.

I am hoping @WRUAustin is wrong about the number in Texas but the odds are against it.

With 219 on PSAT and 2370 on SAT, it’s just hard to imagine my daughter is not going to get NMSF is mind boggling!

Well, time to move on as this is not end of the world but it sure feels like it :frowning:

Thank you @insignia :slight_smile:
Also I was wondering if there was any other way to get the letter other than from the guidance office (mine is rather inefficient)? Do they get mailed home? When will the cutoffs be published online?

So sorry to the people so close to the cutoff :frowning: this is just a small thing, people who do well on this will surely do well on many more merit opportunities in the future :slight_smile: good luck everyone!

Pretty sure they only get mailed home if you’re homeschooled, sorry. However, congrats on your score and good luck to your friends!

Thank you so much @insignia :slight_smile:

Updating from recent posts about TX, UT, OH

AL=? (post #?, per GC/NMSC/HSL (homeschool letter)/other)
AK=?
AZ=?
AR=?
CA= <=223 (post #726) letter to principal
CO=?
CT=?
DE=?
DC=?
FL=214 (post #851)
GA=?
HI=?
ID= <=213 (post #811) HSL
IL=?
IN= <=218 (post #772) letter to school
IA=?
KS=?
KY= <=213 (post #822)
LA=211 (post #887) cutoff informed by GC
ME=?
MD=?
MA=?
MI= <= 213 (post 648 HSL)
MN= <=215 (post #900: 216 from GC; 215 from friend of student)
MS= <=209 (post #843)
MO=?
MT=?
NE=?
NV=?
NH=?
NJ=?
NM=?
NY= <=219 (post #714 student report)
NC=?
ND=?
OH= <=215 (#980, letter from school)
OK=208 (post #750) cutoff informed by principal
OR=?
PA =?
RI=?
SC=?
SD=?
TN= <=215 (post #860)
TX=220 (post #996, cutoff confirmed by GC)
UT= <=209 (post #975)
VT=?
VA=?
WA=?
WV=?
WI=?
WY=?

Commended (national cutoff) = 202

Wow thanks @crowlady organization is always helpful
Also, hehe did anyone get a perfect 240, just for funnzies? :slight_smile:

Add my D to the “missed by a point” club. Good luck to all of you.

So sorry @WRUAustin - you have been a huge help. My DD has a 220 so I think she just made it assuming your score can equal the cutoff but nothing official. My son did not make it 2 years ago and due to his GPA, SATs and ECs, got a half ride scholarship to USC and Rice so while its nice, its not necessary for most schools.

Does anyone know if you make it if your score is equal to the cutoff or does it have to be above? thanks

@dansmoaustin You make it if your score is equal to or over the cutoff score.

Can’t get info form school in CA, anyone else in CA receive infor 222 or below?

So sorry for the ones who missed it. Not sure if we made it it not yet but the longer it goes, the more I give up hope. @WRUAustin your child has an amazing parent in you! They have a great foundation you have laid for them. Wish it had ended different.

NY is 219; 218 did not make the cut (per child’s school) and prior poster said 219 was NMSF in NY.

@VaishS You’re welcome! : )

Parent of HS Class of 2015 here, coming back to CC after a long hiatus, to offer support & encouragement to those still waiting. My DS was a “Bubble Kid” All. The. Way. through the NM process last year, so I’m here to support those in the same boat this year. DS did ultimately make NMS, but it was the wildest ride possible.

Sorry I’m late to the party & I’m just catching up w/this thread today.

To those with a Just-Missed-Cut-Off Score, I’m so sorry. If it helps at all, DS had several Commended Scholars in his Class of 2015 who went on to receive many scholarships & awards. From what I can tell, those students did just as well, or better, than the NMS in DS’s class.

To those still waiting for news, here are some suggestions:

Call or email the school GC. Or, if you’re like me, call the GC ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT or school office secretary. (And, if you’re really like me, cry on the phone because that works wonders…)

As others have stated, check Twitter using key words like “National Merit Semifinalist” and “I’m” and “Score.”

Check the Twitter feed of neighboring high schools in your district. Last year, the HS just down the road tweeted a list of NMSFs on the day the school was notified! All this tells you is that the schools in your district likely have the letters “somewhere,” but you can mention this to your child’s GC when you call.

Check Homeschooler web sites in your area for updates.

For our East Coast Friends, I started a thread in DC Urban Mom under “College Discussion.” Not sure if I’m allowed to post a link here, but I posted a link to this thread over there. You can check both threads for updates. On DCUM, if you post any comment, it will keep the thread higher in the feed & hopefully attract more comments/info.

I’m trying to help another KS mom find out the cut-off for her DC, so I’m here with you for that reason, too.

And, in keeping w/our tradition on this thread from last year, I brought the Candy Corn. @PAMom21 @suzy100 @albert69 @Barfly

My son just texted me…a 214 makes in in RI! I was really sweating it out after reading about some of the increases here. Last year was 212. If I hear anything about actual I cutoff I will post.