***Class of 2016 NMSF/NMF Qualifying Scores

By the way, still waiting in Texas, but it sounds like it’s nailed down by others… I’m commiserating with those who spent all summer on the bubble only to be on the wrong side of a narrow and meaningless divide, really. Candy corn or wine all around – pick your poison.

@piesquared, I’m so sorry if this is true - but since you may have nothing to lose at this point, would you want to consider calling your DC’s GC? It may be better than waiting, and at least you’ll know either way. I want to stress that many of the top students in my DS’s HS Class of 2015 were not NMS & they all did very well in the end. I doubt that’s much consolation at this point - it wouldn’t have helped me at this time last year - but I have the vantage point of having a Freshman in college now.

Please keep us posted. I’m still rooting for your DC.

@goaskdad He’s got a 228, so we know he’ll be on the right side of the line. Of course, his favorite schools don’t really offer NM scholarships. Mainly, assuming he finishes up his second ApplyTexas essay, we figured we’d wait for this honor to hit send on his in-state applications. His school usually has about 10 NMSF, so I won’t email the counselor. The risk of annoying her (she’s easily annoyed) is too high. He’s past his supposed September 1 deadline to finish that essay (but the only one who cares is me). If he heard, maybe it would be a big prod? (she said hopefully).

@Momof6PA. Good luck. I hope both your daughter and I end up as NMSF’s.

Per GC verbal CA 221 “not on the list”. GC speculates CA cut off either 222 or 223.

from last year:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/1684677-2015-national-merit-semifinalist-list-links-p3.html
post #44 was copy and pasted from the book that the principles and colleges get. Colleges can get PSAT and SAT score ranges prior to the the date the booklet is sent but I believe colleges are mailed the book the same time as principles. The book does not have any cut off information.

I have a call into OU, I asked why they called my D and asked if they had a list of the NMSF. The young woman said she would need to check with someone in a meeting but she said, “just to confirm you are calling asking about your daughter’s national merit status right?” So I’m thinking that they do indeed have a list. I’ll let you know when I hear back.

@piesquared, if he doesn’t hear soon, though, he could ask the GC for confirmation, explaining that he would like to add his Semifinalist status to his applications. That seems like a reasonable request. Our school doesn’t notify students until the public notices are allowed, but my boys just put semifinalist on the apps when they felt safe enough based on CC postings. If your son is applying to Texas A&M, the sooner he submits his app the better. The rolling admission is by major as well as general acceptance, so even if your son is an auto admit, he may not get his preferred major if he waits.

@3scoutsmom For what it’s worth DD got a package the day before yesterday from OU with explanations how to apply to OU Honor College with NMSF and she did make California cut off.

Our headmaster here in TN emailed that they received mail from National Merit today but “could not share the contents of the letter until 9/9.” He did say that our family would be pleased. :wink: We are above the 215 score mentioned earlier. So, unfortunately, I don’t have any new data to add other than letters are arriving in TN.

GC contacted NM and they confirmed that I am a semifinalist in FL. 2140 makes the cut.

@Barfly So helpful! Thank you to all the been-there, done-that parents dropping in to give us newbies information!

Updating for RI, NY (I found the post), and CA

AL=? (post #?, per GC/NMSC/HSL (homeschool letter)/other)
AK=?
AZ=?
AR=?
CA= 222 or 223 (posts #726 letter for 223, #1024 GC > 221)
CO=?
CT=?
DE=?
DC=?
FL=214 (post #851)
GA=?
HI=?
ID= <=213 (post #811) HSL
IL=?
IN= <=218 (post #772) letter to school
IA=?
KS=?
KY= <=213 (post #822)
LA=211 (post #887) cutoff informed by GC
ME=?
MD=?
MA=?
MI= <= 213 (post 648 HSL)
MN= <=215 (post #900: 216 from GC; 215 from friend of student)
MS= <=209 (post #843)
MO=?
MT=?
NE=?
NV=?
NH=?
NJ=?
NM=?
NY=219 (post #856)
NC=?
ND=?
OH= <=215 (post #980, letter from school)
OK=208 (post #750) cutoff informed by principal
OR=?
PA =?
RI= <=214 (post #999)
SC=?
SD=?
TN= <=215 (post #860)
TX=220 (post #996, cutoff confirmed by GC)
UT= <=209 (post #975)
VT=?
VA=?
WA=?
WV=?
WI=?
WY=?

Commended (national cutoff) = 202

@bmolloy97, that was nice of him to say you’d be pleased. But he really could have shared the contents of the letter. They are allowed to share with the student and family. They just aren’t allowed to publicize it yet. I don’t know why so many schools don’t understand that. Perhaps the wording of what NMSC provides to the schools is confusing. Our school also holds on to the news until it can go public. SO frustrating! But last year I point blank asked the principal and got a wink wink reply also. :slight_smile:

@piesquared, I mis-read your post - so I’m very happy for your DS. He is definitely a NMSF with that score! (throws fist-full of Candy Corn in air…)

@Barfly Yes. I guess it’s the wording and wanting to be careful they don’t do anything to get on the bad side of NM. My son asked if I would tell them they could tell us. :wink: But, I wouldn’t dare. Thankful for the wink and the nudge at this point as it calmed my nerves that something weird could have happened since the letter in April. :wink:

You may want to add the 215 for Colorado. Could be lower, but 215 is in.

I stand corrected, I just got a call back from OU and they said they are basing their calls off of ‘score ranges’ not the book of NMSF that the principle’s get. I still think it’s odd that the principles get a book that lists every NMSF by state but this does not go to the colleges. I will never understand NM!

Ohio cutoff is a confirmed 215. My friend and I got 214 and 213 respectively, and neither of us made it :frowning:

I’m pretty sure my sons are in but all of these posts have me so anxious. School doesn’t start here until Sept 8.

Still waiting in VA. Would like to hear from some of the higher qualifying score states to report in and see if anyone broke the 224 ceiling. District of Columbia, Massachusetts, New Jersey, if not VA? I have a score higher than historically necessary but am still nervous if it goes too high. School doesn’t start here until the 8th and there is no chance that my GC will tell us early.