***Class of 2016 NMSF/NMF Qualifying Scores

The letter tells principals they can notify students and their families immediately but not release it to the press until a specified date, but many principals wait anyway. This is a continuing problem in our ISD. They also don’t give students their PSAT scores until after the holidays. Last year, I explained to the principal that students do not get any notification of scores or NM status until much much later than the school, and he told me I was wrong - that students are notified first of their PSAT scores and NM status. I reminded him that I have been through this 3 times and, no, the school is notified first and should tell the students right away. But what do I know! Aaarrrggghhhhhhhh!

@DominicBayer Congrats to you! Still waiting here :frowning:

@barfly, my point was that the folks at the system’s central office may tell the principals to hold off. Whether they could actually enforce such a mandate is another matter. However, nothing that happens at central offices surprises me anymore.

What would be great is if they would email notifications… it would save paper and be much faster. Send letters too if they must, but at least send a quick note to everyone that made it (and to the commended student.)

Oh, like the ISD’s central office, @mstomper? Yes, I suspect that happens often. Many procedures in our district are mandated from above, but on this topic the 12 high schools in our ISD are not consistent. My son’s friends at some other high schools in our district got PSAT scores and NM status immediately. But our principal really thinks that the parents get the info in the mail first!

Hi, @albert69!

Hi @Barfly, how’s it going? I’ve loving WSU so far, stressed about my grades, but so far it’s ok…

Great to hear you love WSU! Grades are stressful, but when you’re my age, you’ll remember them all being As, even they’re not.

Good luck to everyone waiting for news today! I’m almost certain that DS’s school called all the NMSFs to the office at the end of the day on a Friday last year, before the weekend, to notify & congratulate them. So perhaps we will see more of that today.

Don’t forget to keep checking Twitter w/key words, including the Twitter feeds of other high schools in your district. Any Homeschool networks in your area may also have info.

For our (mainly) East Coast friends, I’ve tried to keep a thread alive in DC Urban Mom, under the College Discussion Forum. We’ve had a few helpful posts, but mostly we have posters deviating from the topic. You may be able to get shreds of info from that forum as the day unfolds. If so, please be sure to post it here, too.

Is the cutoff for texas absolutely certain?

For Texas, a parent called his child’s school and the GC told him the cutoff was 220. His child was a 219 and he was told he did not make it. It appears to be good information.

i got a 219 in texas as well

My DS hasn’t heard anything yet. He has a 220 in TX.

Same here in Austin…220 and nothing but crickets from the school! Would like to get it on her resume for apply tx schools that she already sent in.

Ok. NMSF’s were announced at my high school in KY (I found out that I am one!). The lowest score that I know qualified is a 210. So the cutoff score in KY is < or = to 210

I have no hope to find out VA before the 9th; I plan to call first thing. I hope the NM office opens at 8, school doesn’t start here until 8:30! Yes, my school might say something on the 8th but I’m not counting on it. I’ve looked everywhere and there are no other discussions that are reporting more numbers that we have.

Confirmed cutoff in Colorado - son is a semi-finalist with a 215. Friend with a 214 is not.

Don’t give up, those of you still waiting!
Yours may be one of the states that is going with the lower trend this year.
I didn’t think my son had much chance with his 208, since there had been only two 207s in the sequence of 209s and 210s…
It can happen!

I don’t know if this will help but this is the email I sent to principal in WA state:

“So sorry to be a bother. Any news on National Merit? Some seniors in other locations have been notified. Just nervous to know. Thanks so much!”

This is the email I got back:

"On 9/2/2015 12:29 PM, [principal] wrote:

[QUOTE=""]

Actually, I just got word this morning in the mail that [son's name] made it to Semifinalist status.His counselor and I have some work to do to print the certificate and allow him access to complete the process. Congratulations!"

FYI, the school has not told my S as of yet and we have no school today. I did not tell S because I wanted him to have the excitement of the principal calling him in. My experience is the same as many others’ – S is really not too concerned about the whole process, so he’s not waiting with bated breath. Probably best.

[/QUOTE]

S is the student with the 222.

I wish I had more news for your friend. There were three who made the cut off at his school, that he knows of. But, their scores were higher than 213.