***Class of 2016 NMSF/NMF Qualifying Scores

@fbhsmom No, there’s no certificate for NMSF. Just for NMF.

Has anyone received their letter yet with instructions for accessing the site and the application?

We received D letter when they told us.

@feinstee – At this point in time you should definitely have access to the application.
If you don’t you need to rattle some cages at your high school and get going.

Ok…so I am a literal person by nature. I am looking at the application website and reading the very long requirements pdf and it says:
" Your critical reading score, mathematics score, and writing
multiple-choice subscore [CR + M + W(mc)] will be the basis for determining whether you meet the confi
rming score requirement. Please note that NMSC will consider only the highest set of scores from a single
administration of the SAT."

It does not say to multiply the writing MC subscore by 10 but you would have to to get to 1960, even if you had perfect scores on the CR and MA sections. Am I overthinking this…and you definitely multiply the WR subscore by 10?

@dansmoaustin Yes you will definitely multiply the MC by 10. NMSC could confirm that if you need by phone.

@4kids2graduate

Sent the email, thanks!

does anyone know how we submit teacher recommendation letters?

Here is out latest post on the entire National Merit “journey.” Very detailed. http://publicuniversityhonors.com/2015/09/14/the-national-merit-journey-what-you-need-to-know-part-one/

Thanks for posting the link Uniwatcher. Very good summary of the National Merit process.

Thanks Uniwatcher! Looking forward to part 2.

I am a Semifinalist in MD. I am still quite confused about the way the confirming SAT score is calculated because I do not see any Math subscore to calculate from as stated in Uniwatcher’s article. In addition, does my SAT score have to exactly match or go beyond my PSAT score because 1960 is a pretty low SAT score. Thanks

Thank you for posting @Uniwatcher Anyone found a part two of this article? How can we control if the school sent required materials?

@aznstate98, as I understand it, you take your math score plus your critical reading score plus the multiple choice part of the writing test (not the essay part) times 10. So if you scored 700 on math, 700 on critical reading, and got 70 out of 80 on the multiple choice part of writing, your qualifying score would be 2100, above the cutoff score of 1960.

@asnstate98 To find your writing mutliple choice subscore:

Find your SAT score report online
Click on “understand your test performance” for that test day
Click on “your score details” in the writing section
The subscores for multiple choice and essay are listed (in small print) under the large total score in upper left corner

Most people find that their multiple choice subscore X 10 is higher than their overall writing score.

@Ballerina2016 Since part 1 was published today, I am assuming part 2 will be later this week- maybe tomorrow ??? Probably need to check back to the site unless someone posts it here first. :slight_smile:

@aznstate98 … Your confirming SAT score does not have to match or exceed your PSAT score. Using the formula described above, you just have to meet or exceed 1960. Congrats on being named a Semifinalist, and good luck in your college search process!!

Thank you all for you replies! It is great help!

Hey! so I’m a national merit semifinalist from TX and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the application on how to be awarded finalist status.

@alexmu4 submit your stuff on time, follow up with your school to make sure they submit their stuff. On time Don’t have more than one C and have a 1960 SAT and you should be fine. :wink: