Class of 2017 Official RD Decisions Thread

<p>^ thank you so much for all the info! I hadn’t really known anything about the scholarship…but that is really cool so thanks :)</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted WITH $16k SCHOLARSHIP!!!</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown):
[</em>] ACT: 31
[<em>] SAT II:
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.95
[<em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 30/570
[</em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): 4 on Statistics and 3 on Government
[<em>] IB (place score in parenthesis):
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: AP BC Calc, AP English, Honors Psychology/Premed, AP French, AP Economics, and AP Phyics Mechanics
[<em>] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): hmm nothing really. Lettered academically every year (4.0+ GPA)
[/ul][ b]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): gymnastics team 3/4 years placing 2nd in state twice, gymnastics captain, student council class VP, key club bulletin editor, math club, french club, tutor in math and french
[<em>] Job/Work Experience:
[</em>] Volunteer/Community service: through key club and student council roughly 50 hrs per year
[<em>] Summer Activities: travelling experience to 25+ countries
[</em>] Essays: quirky essay about my fascination with neuroscience beginning from my ripping cotton balls fear
[<em>] Teacher Recommendation: i think they were both decent but i haven’t seen either
[</em>] Counselor Rec: ^ same
[<em>] Additional Rec:
[</em>] Interview:
[/ul][ b]Other
[ul]
[<em>] State (if domestic applicant): Ohio
[</em>] Country (if international applicant):
[<em>] School Type: Public school with 2500 students. Also, my teachers are on strike.
[</em>] Ethnicity: white
[<em>] Gender: female
[</em>]Income Bracket: +200,000
[<em>] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): white girl from the upper middle class suburbs … so no
[/ul][ b]Reflection**[ul]
[</em>] Strengths: my essay was very odd and funny. uhh my ACT and GPA fit the range, nothing really stood out. i’m pretty well rounded
[<em>] Weaknesses: I didn’t wave my right to see my recommendation letters :0
[</em>] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: like i said, i’m well rounded
[li] Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Ohio State! waiting on U Mich, Wake, NWestern, Duke, BC, and Miami of Ohio.[/li] [/ul][ b]General Comments:** I’m pumped !!!</p>

<p>By the way, I found out yesterday by logging into my Cane ID after getting an e-mail about housing and financial aid, then saw the letter immediately pop up when I logged in. I got my letter in the mail yesterday as well. Big happy envelope that says Congratulations!!</p>

<p>yay so excited to be accepted!</p>

<p>act: 30
gpa: 4.0/4.3
extracurriculars: many leadership roles, participations in various clubs, a lot of sports
sr courses: AP calc, AP bio, spanish 3
ap test scores: not the best
rec letters: should be great
jobs: lifeguard/model
essays: decent
no hooks
pretty evenly well-rounded</p>

<p>accepted w/scholarships: ok state u, u of oklahoma, u of tulsa, florida gulf coast u
deferred: vanderbilt</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted</p>

<p>Objective:</p>

<pre><code>SAT I: 1700
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):3.3
</code></pre>

<p>Subjective:</p>

<pre><code>Extracurriculars:Soccer, guitar
Volunteer/Community service: Doctor’s shadow, summer Drug & Violence prevention youth committee 100 hours
Essays: I hate to be immodest, but I know that what I lacked in marks I made up for with this essay. It was a very strong piece of writing.
Teacher Recommendation: Decent
</code></pre>

<p>Other</p>

<pre><code>Country (if international applicant): Canadian
Ethnicity: Chinese, French
Income Bracket: 400,000 +
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Being a support and aid to my younger sister with a life threatening illness for the past four years. This is also what my essay was about.
</code></pre>

<p>General Comments: Don’t know if I’m gonna go or not, so pricey for an international student!</p>

<p>Wow, sounds like we have a good class so far :slight_smile: I was also accepted, my stats are on the last page. Anyone from the chicago area like me considering going? :)</p>

<p>@caxy93 I’m from the Chicago area and I was accepted with a great scholarship but I got into UPenn last week, which is nothing short of a miracle that I don’t think I could pass up. Miami is great though. One of my close friends goes there. And I haven’t made any decisions yet, or even heard back from five of my schools haha, so we’ll see what happens!</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown): 2180 (800 M, 700 W, 680 CR, 6 E)
[</em>] SAT II: 800 Math 2, 770 Math 1, 650 USH
[<em>] Grades: 90% Freshman Yr, 86% Sophomore Year, 65% Junior Year, 50% Senior Year Midyears
[</em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A for Fr / So, Top 25% Jr, Top 35% Sr
[<em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): didnt send
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: Indian CBSE Board
[li] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Nothing really</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[<em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Decent (no leadership)
[</em>] Job/Work Experience: 2 paid internships
[<em>] Volunteer/Community service: 50+ hours
[</em>] Summer Activities: Summer@Brown (Jr. Year)
[<em>] Essays: Great
[</em>] Teacher Recommendation: Great (one was a little generic tho)
[<em>] Counselor Rec: Good
[</em>] Interview: None</p>

<p>[/ul]Other:[ul]
[<em>] Country (if international applicant): india
[</em>] School Type: No idea honestly but i think private
[<em>] Ethnicity: indian
[</em>] Gender: Male
[<em>] Income Bracket: 200,000+
[</em>] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM?</p>

<p>[/ul]Reflection:[ul]
[<em>] Strengths: SAT, Essays, Recs
[</em>] Weaknesses: Grades, Leadership, Volunteer Work
[<em>] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: No idea. SAT?
[</em>] Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Illinois (accepted), San Francisco (accepted), WUSTL (waitlisted), waiting on 17 more</p>

<p>[/ul]General Comments: OMG I can’t believe this. Go Canes! Win the ACC tourney guys. im too shocked to think outside bball.</p>

<p>Can any waitlisters please post when they receive their letters in mail? If you have, please post your home state? Thanks!</p>

<p>@JRswish Indians are definitely not URMs haha. We Indians and Indian-Americans are ORMs!</p>

<p>collegeiscrazy13, my D received her letter. Waitlist for Fall, acceptance for Spring, received yesterday 3/14 in Georgia.</p>

<p>@luv2dance hahahaha</p>

<p>ps - did u apply/get in?</p>

<p>[collegeiscrazy13, my D received her letter. Waitlist for Fall, acceptance for Spring, received yesterday 3/14 in Georgia.]</p>

<p>Edited to add that my D’s letter also included the DC fall semester offer, since I just realized from the other thread that not all Spring admits were the same.</p>

<p>If you were wait-listed, does your online letter say you were accepted for spring? </p>

<p>I too was wait-listed, but my online letter says nothing about spring admission. I have yet to receive my hard copy letter.</p>

<p>@college4k was your daughter surprised at the Spring Admittance? or did she know before receiving letter that she was a spring admit?</p>

<p>@JRswish, yeah, I got into UMiami. I posted it earlier :)</p>

<p>I have been waitlisted too. How many applicants do they take from the waitlist?</p>

<p>I have been waitlisted too. How many applicants do they accept from the waitlist?</p>

<p>My understanding is they are taking very few off the waitlist for Fall. They are offering many waitlisters spring admission though.</p>

<p>@bhmdmrrn, When did you find out you had been waitlisted?</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 1970 superscore (640 R, 720 M, 610 W)
ACT: 31
SAT II: Math 1 720, Math 2 670, Lit 620
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.845
AP (place score in parenthesis): English Lit (4), US Gov. (3), Comparative Gov. (2)
Senior Year Course Load: APUSH, AP Calc AB, AP English Lang, Research, and dual enrollment: acting, biology & the environment, principles of business, individual in society, statistics, nutrition, and spanish 1 and 2.
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Hispanic Recognition Scholar</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Math Club (President), Drama Club (President and inducted thespian), NHS, Yearbook (Editor in Chief), SAT Prep (Founder and President), Student Gov (senator), speech and debate (secretary/treasurer), orchestra (treasurer)
Job/Work Experience: Fashion Board Internship at Nordstrom
Volunteer/Community service: Science Museum, walkathons, tutoring, beautification
Summer Activities:
Essays: I think my essays were good, but I can’t really tell.
Teacher Recommendation: All three teachers adore me and have nominated me for awards. They definitely wrote stellar recs.
Counselor Rec: Don’t really know.</p>

<p>Other
State (if domestic applicant): Florida
School Type: full-time dual enrollment high school
Ethnicity: Hispanic
Income Bracket:
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: EC
Weaknesses: SAT/ACT scores
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Accepted to Fordham University, University of Florida, Florida State University, and Florida International University, Washington University in St. Louis. Deferred from University of Pennsylvania and still awaiting to hear a reply.</p>