Class of 2017 - Parents thread

<p>We all suffered through the LONG day yesterday, along with our kids....waiting for the acceptance. I thought it might be nice for us to have a place we can "hangout' together the next six months while we go through financial aid questions, senioritis, proms, packing, moving and saying goodbye to our college freshman. Some of us may not know yet for sure where our children will be attending - but lets get through this process together!!</p>

<p>My Son got accepted…it was a long day for all of us. The funny part we, his parents, are more anxious than him. He was planning soccer all day. I told him check the site on his phone…with no luck. He finally did…and just found out he had been accepted. Good luck to all.</p>

<p>Isnt this website supposed to be for students? Honestly, its this helicopter-parent attitude which makes me question why I ever applied to American schools</p>

<p>LOL - edited my comment to play nice.</p>

<p>Ignore ■■■■■ - this site has lots of useful information. Other comments are just incendiary.</p>

<p>Call it whatever you like but did you really “suffer” the “LONG” day because your son or daughter may not have gotten into University of Miami? To me that stands out as ■■■■■ comment. </p>

<p>And dont get me wrong, if your son or daughter had a small chance of going to a University but made it I would be happy for you. Would you have been that sad if your child was forced to go to another college? What about FSU or are public schools ‘not your thing?’ </p>

<p>With the amount of people facing adversity today, I think you need to re-evaluate what a long day is.</p>

<p>One parent said that she cared more than her son did. Isnt that a sign to anyone that things may be a bit out of proportion? (Please ignore this and call me a ■■■■■, I know all of you have “suffered” a “long day”).</p>

<p>The parents here are pathetic! The fact that you guys have nothing better to do than speculate about your child’s acceptance to a single school (for hours on end) is truly astounding. I hope that many of you are competent enough to realize that you could be doing much more meaningful things with your time.</p>

<p>Ok… Somebody is wearing his or her panties too tight :). In America… we enjoy the comraderie (including SARCASM & humor) & participate in these significant milestones by encouraging, supporting & comforting our friends. Maybe the title of this thread tipped you off?</p>

<p>As for the trolls on this post…yes us parents have been doing very important things with our times. Like supporting our sons/daughters every step of the way through life and education. The fact is that this is a very informative website for info and support through the college process.<br>
If we have been through thick and thin of all education years, why not get the reward of posting your child’s achievements through the acceptance of wonderful universities.<br>
I for one am a very proud parent and am overjoyed to share my daughters experiences. </p>

<p>Sent from my SGH-T989 using CC</p>

<p>**
Welcome new parents! It’s a great idea to make a parent thread to share info and support. Since you’ll all be going through the same thing together I know you’ll enjoy sharing your experiences with each other here.

There is another parents’ thread too from last spring in case you want to check it out and see if any of the advice there from the oldies might help too :

<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1300155-u-miami-parents-thread.html?highlight=parents[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1300155-u-miami-parents-thread.html?highlight=parents&lt;/a&gt;

That thread was started by the parent of a current sophomore who won the Stamps that year : ) I’ve noticed many parents do return to the _ board to help new parents even after their kids graduate too - you’ll see a post from a parent whose child has moved on in that thread. That kind of support is so invaluable to new parents - we don’t have to keep reinventing the wheel!
</p>

<p>It’s great to have one just for your class also! Here’s the only problem. CC won’t let us sticky threads. I’ve asked many times by PMing mods and never heard back after I was told they were going to ask the powers that be to grant us some stickies. My guess about this reluctance to use stickies is that CC is supported by ads, obviously, and the more traffic, the better. Stickies might decrease postings perhaps, by preventing the same questions from being asked over and over and over and…

Anyway, to keep the thread near the top of the board where parents will see it, you’ll have to work hard to make sure you keep it there by posting regularly. Otherwise it’ll end up on the third page where no one will see it. It’s a tough job but if anyone’s up to it it’s _ parents!**</p>

<p>Hahaha someone mentioned they she is"over joyed to share in her daughter’s experience."</p>

<p>I wonder if her daughter is overjoyed as well</p>

<p>It’s nice that there are kids out there who have parents who truly care about their happiness and wanting the best for them - and it’s sad that not all children have that. As someone who works with children facing adversity on a daily basis, it’s pretty special when kids can have unconditional support. I hope you have that in your life.</p>

<p>Now, I know these ■■■■■-like posts are just to stir the pot. But, as you so well stated, “I’m sure you could be doing much more meaningful things with your time”.</p>

<p>Congrats to all whose kids were accepted! Thanks Illinoismom93 for the heads up. Educated people are pretty busy and don’t find much time on their hands, these forums an be very helpful because having a child in college affects everyone in their family.Martinelli95 I hope you find a great school where you will adjust to living in a diverse society. I for one am looking forward to supporting my youngest as she moves on to an incredibly exciting time in her life! Go Canes!</p>

<p>If there’s one thing I have learned in my many years on different boards online (and I am REALLY old so there have been lots of them) is that it’s a really good idea to only post things that you would not mind having - fill in the blank (your boss, your parents, your children, the admissions officer at the []<em>[] you plan to attend, the person at that []</em>[] who makes scholarship decisions) read.</p>

<p>It just isn’t that hard to figure out who someone is, or at least which school he attends, etc, based on the information many students post online. A search for someone’s past posts brings up everthing they’ve ever posted here - no deleting is allowed after a few minutes (ask me how I know : P - all my typos are forever and quite humiliating to this former English major!) </p>

<p>Keeping that in mind, I am always saddened when I read posts by students who are angry, often around this time of the year, perhaps because scholarship amounts were not as much as hoped for, or acceptances weren’t granted at a desired school, and I feel their sadness showing through the anger. At the heart of anger is sadness, of course, and lots of kids on CC are going through a tough time right now dealing with decisions being released and scholarships awarded. </p>

<p>It’s got to be awful as a kid watching peers receiving acceptances they coveted and awards they’d love to have received and all of it happening and being posted publicly and immediately on boards like this as opposed to the past when thick envelopes arrived in the mail and you called your grandparents perhaps on that telephone attached to the long curly cord and told your friends at school the next day. Wow talk about a run-on sentence!</p>

<p>Thank you, ljrfrm, for that insight. Not all parents are as supportive as CC parents can be and some transference is possibly going on here.</p>

<p>Even though my knowledge of the admission process is growing more stale by the day, I will try to continue to contribute what I can to this thread. My D is still thriving at the U in the Marine Sciences program. She has met a wonderful group of students, made some solid friendships, is active in several clubs and has really grown so much from her high school days. Looking forward to our Skype session today. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yup, some of us like to pop back in from time to time and share our experiences with new UM families…paying it forward. We are very thankful for the wonderful education and life experiences our S’s received at UM and wish the same for all the new students and their families.</p>

<p>My son is a freshman this year at UM and like Zinc, in the Marine Science/bio program. If anyone has questions about the school, move in, culture or whatever, please feel free to ask. DS is VERY HAPPY with UM, his opportunities, his friends and his classes. It’s really a good fit for him. Best wishes everyone!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>ljrfrm: Great idea! I’m going to ignore the nasty comments posted here and tell you how happy I am that you started this thread. Will be fun to go through this with other parents. It’s a different experience for us than for our kids so it’s nice to have each other. </p>

<p>I’d say my DS is 99% going to go to the U. We are going to be on campus again on 2/18 - happy to share any additional info I learn there with this group.</p>

<p>Hey there…my son was just accepted yesterday, and while I am happy for him (he is over the moon), as the parent who is going to be writing the (substantial) checks every year, I am still trying to get comfortable with this…</p>

<p>For context, his “final four” is U of M, Richmond, Tulane and BU…his focus will probably be something in the business/pre-law sphere, but obviously things can change. He applied ED to Richmond, but was deferred into the RD pool. I think that if he had, say, a pre-med or engineering focus, it would seem that Miami would be a good choice, but - at least based on the volumes of info that I have tried to gather, it seems like both Richmond (Robins) and BU have more recognized programs in these areas (although I understand that Miami recently hired the associate dean of academics from Michigan’s business school in an effort to raise the b-school’s profile, I would think).</p>

<p>I have been told by several people that the academic standing of Miami has risen materially in recent years, and it’s top 50 ranking in US News is a good sign (although various other rankings that are out there are not as strong). I know that this will likely be a biased crowd here (which is not a bad thing), but I wounder if there are any other parents out there who went down a similar path (comparing Miami to some of the other schoold that I mentioned - some of which can be argues have stronger national reputations), and how did you work through the decision in your mind? I recognize that it is my son’s choice, but as the person writing the checks (and he is the typical Northeastern US, private school B+ student that Miami probabaly has a LOT of in their student body), I am admittedly trying to shake my mindset of Miami as a school that has a culture of beautiful guys and girls who spend as much time working on their tans and bodies as they are on their lab papers…</p>

<p>Again - I do recognize that Miami is a good school…I am just trying to work through the stereotypes that are out there…both about the school AND the student body.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>