Class of 2018 - Admissions Status

<p>@chanceme1830</p>

<p>first of all, there were only 24 international mech engr freshman in 2013, so you know the number who matriculated was low. naturally, the accepted rate is slightly higher.</p>

<p>source: <a href=“https://accountability.tamu.edu/content/university-metrics-student-demographics[/url]”>https://accountability.tamu.edu/content/university-metrics-student-demographics&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>second, many international applicants are from china and india so you face a lot of competition from your fellow countryman.</p>

<p>Being out of state or international for Public state colleges in Texas does not really help your application because unlike other states, Texas colleges prefer Texans first before other out-of state or international students.</p>

<p>I guess you’re right. Thanks for your input.
That puts me in the same boat as all other review applicants.
So it’ll all come down to the extra stuff( essays, EC’s, community service,leadership positions etc).</p>

<p>All review applicants could you please post your credentials briefly, just to see where we all stand:/</p>

<p>CHANCEME1830 Here are my credentials:<br>
Applied August 5 to COE
Top 12
6.2 GPA
Many clubs200+ community service hours
3 strong letters of recommendation
3 essays decent but not outstanding
Eagle scout
Texan
Participated in several A&M events</p>

<p>Not to break anyones hopes but if you still didn’t receive an admissions decision then you probably won’t be able to join the engineering school. I received my acceptance a few days ago (international applicant btw) and an email today saying that engineering has “reached its enrollment limit for admission without review” and that the remaining seats will be offered to students based on competitive holistic review. So by january 15th all engineering seats will be filled :/</p>

<p>Just got admitted but as Engineering review and Unspecified college, even though I applied for Mechanical Engg. Can anyone explain what this means.</p>

<p>Everything processed by dec. 3…I’m an academic admit why haven’t I been accepted yet?</p>

<p>@ haha778 For me everything was processed on 7th Jan and I got admitted today as review admit.</p>

<p>See Post #648 above.
Just to prevent “review admit” confusion…</p>

<p>You posted earlier that your SAT was CR 620 and Math 700, thus a combined 1320. Also that your class rank was 10/139, thus Top 7%. You also posted that you were from India, and therefore an international student. There might have been some “review” of your application, but your competitive statistics placed you in the auto-academic admit area, thus a quick A&M acceptance.</p>

<p>@shadowgunkiller you are going to have to pick a different major probably. all the enginerring spots are full. you ARE accepted to Texas A&M, just engineering is full.</p>

<p>I am curious to know what everyone’s thoughts are about having to pick a different major just to get in to A&M. Specifically those that are not being accepted to COE? Do you think it is worth changing your major just to go to A&M? It is my understanding that even if you attend A&M entering in a different major with the hopes of changing your major back to engineering down the road, that it is just as hard to get in. Are you willing to take that risk? Also, what is your choosing if COE is full?</p>

<p>^I’ve had the same thoughts. If you have a career choice and one school doesn’t offer/allow you into it I think it would be prudent to go to a school that will allow you into your desired major. Transferring is not automatic by any means and is more difficult sometimes than initial entry.</p>

<p>I know for some it is more important to go to a specific school regardless of major versus going somewhere else to get the desired major.</p>

<p>Each applicant will have to decide what is more important to them.</p>

<p>^ I’ve had the same thoughts as y’all…I really want to go to A&M but if I don’t get in to the business school I might go to Baylor since I was already accepted to business honors there…but I also realllllllyyyyy love A&M so I don’t know…it’s a tough decision</p>

<p>Im out of state and On the requorements for Auto admit it says you must be in state but for academic admit it doesn’t specifically say it…are you supposed to be in state for academic admit too? I maybe that’s why I haven’t been accepted yet?</p>

<p>The top 10% auto admit is for TX only. The academic admit is for everyone. I would give the admissions office a call and make sure everything is going smoothly. Most schools assign admission personnel by region, I wouldn’t be surprised if the OOS group has grown due to all the publicity for the school in the SEC broadcasts. Calling would show extra interest, certainly can’t hurt. First double check that they have all your documents, and are not waiting on anything from either you, your school or the testing agencies. Good luck!</p>

<p>@AGmomx They definitely have everything but yeah I guess I’ll call</p>

<p>To make it clear, “Engineering Review” means that you are in a holistic review process with all other students who had COE majors as their first two choices, and have not yet been accepted. Not all of the engineering spots are full as the last 15% are filled through the holistic review. Today, I was informed by an admissions officer that decisions should mostly be out by mid-late January, but there is no guaranteed date. Lastly, when it comes to this review process, it does not matter when you applied, it is solely based on application content comparison.</p>

<p>Funny how different admissions officers say different things.</p>

<p>According to smashley1

</p>

<p>That is true, but that’s for review applicants being admitted into Texas A&M in general. The COE review is different.</p>

<p>I was also told that the AIS updates weekly. Do you guys know what day of the week it is updated?</p>