Class of 2018 - Admissions Status

<p>@TexasResident thank you for sharing that! It seemed to us that A&M was the only application that asked for information on how often you had visited the campus and how much your family was affiliated with the school. Of course, in a way, I hate to see family’s lose their Aggie/Longhorn traditions. My daughter has also been offered nice merit scholarships to other schools as well and I think that the 2014 entering stats for Tech, UTD, UofH, and Texas State will be the most impressive that they have ever been. Good for your son making the choice about going where he felt wanted. I hope that the rest of these Seniors (my own included) who don’t get in -or don’t get the admission that they want - will feel happy and excited about where they end up. This class of 2014 is very impressive…there were a lot of smart babies born in 1995 and 1996! Congratulations on getting him settled and happy!</p>

<p>@KelsAg88 It says 2nd Quarter. My grades were really nothing special. I think my test scores/tons of extracurriculars/essays saved me.</p>

<p>From Admissions on how they select:</p>

<p>The rank and test scores are viewed together and they make up around 50% of the decision. The essays, personal achievement, etc. make up the other 50%. For a student that comes from a non-ranking high school, we use their GPA in relation to their school’s grading scale to assign a quartile ranking. Other than that, GPA is not even considered in our process. </p>

<p>When we look at the rank and test scores, we determine a projected GPA here at TAMU. We use algorithms to combine a student’s rank and test scores and it produces 2.9, 3.0, 3.1, so on and so forth. Once we see what a student’s projected GPA is, we begin weighing all the other components. </p>

<p>txmom99 Yes the Class of 2014 is very competitive. Good luck to your daughter and everyone else that is still waiting! </p>

<p>I am going crazy, I don’t know how much longer I can wait to hear back!
I applied 8/22/2013 and my application was processed 8/26/2013. I am graduating a year early from HS and my stats are:
GPA: 3.7
Class Rank:65/344 (top 18.8%)
SAT: 1550 (M:620 CR:510 W:420 I am horrible at grammar)
Major: Biology
I feel like I don’t stand a chance anymore, I’m getting discouraged. I plan on accepting Blinn Team if they happen to offer that, I honestly would be beyond happy to be offered Blinn Team!
Anyone with similar stats get accepted?? On the website it now says we won’t hear back till mid to late march… and everyone on here is saying they were told the end of February … so i’m quite confused.</p>

<p>@sloan32</p>

<p>I also applied in the biology major. My application was processed 11/14 and I have not heard back yet.
my stats are:
GPA: 3.57
Class rank: 546/1100, 46% (yes, it’s a HUGE school, and very competitive)
SAT: 1820 (R:610, M:620, W:590)
After finding out that GPA plays little so no role in admissions, I was also very discouraged, but since biology is not nearly as popular as engineering or architecture, I feel like we might have a chance! The admissions website (admissions.tamu.edu) still says all decisions will be sent by 2/28 so that’s what I’m hoping for!</p>

<p>Scarlett Ring
I’m in the same boat as you …
App processed Nov 1. Haven’t heard yet
First choice major Economics
GPA. 3.6 (7 AP classes)
Class rank (51st%) :frowning:
SAT composite 1240 (640 CR 600 Math)
I find it disheartening the way TAMU weighs class rank. At some schools a 3.5 GPA would get us top 20% However they somewhat neglect schools that are extremely competitive. I wish they would look to the SAT/ACT scores more heavily as they are the most universal weighing mechanism across the applicant spectrum. Class rank is not unbiased and I wish they would realize this.
Oh well, we will find out soon
Hang in there guys and good luck!</p>

<p>From TAMU Admissions advisor </p>

<p>"The rank and test scores are viewed together and they make up around 50% of the decision. The essays, personal achievement, etc. make up the other 50%. For a student that comes from a non-ranking high school, we use their GPA in relation to their school’s grading scale to assign a quartile ranking. Other than that, GPA is not even considered in our process. </p>

<p>When we look at the rank and test scores, we determine a projected GPA here at TAMU. We use algorithms to combine a student’s rank and test scores and it produces 2.9, 3.0, 3.1, so on and so forth. Once we see what a student’s projected GPA is, we begin weighing all the other components. "</p>

<p>Hello everyone, I have just mailed my financial aid application (ISFAA). Does anyone has any ideas when will tamu send theirs financial aid offer? Thank you! </p>

<p>Dzoikoan96
It is my understanding that we will receive the results of our FAFSA on March 1st</p>

<p>Just got accepted to Petroleum Engineering
GPA 2.8
ACT 29</p>

<p>RANK 231/456
sorry about the cut off</p>

<p>Congratulations man!!! This gives me a lot of hope still. I am second quarter as well with 1300 SAT (700 Math and 600 CR). Are you sure though that you got into Petroleum Engineering? Last time I checked, Engineering was full. </p>

<p>Nope pretty sure it says Petroleum Engineering. Didn’t think I would get in considering I switched from Physics to it like 2 weeks ago. But oh well.</p>

<p>Is AIS down for anyone else right now?</p>

<p>Can I attend Tamu with my second major choice instead of the first one? </p>

<p>@leedleleedleleee: really?
I had to switch to another major because petroleum was full :O. here is my stats: SAT: cr 640, math:760 (math2, chem-780 each); first quarter. is it because I am an international student? :frowning: </p>

<p>From the Admission Counselor who posts on the Tex Ags Forum:</p>

<p>Yes, it is completely normal. We don’t necessarily make holistic review decisions based on the date you applied. Only about 3,500 out of 17,000 holistic review applicants have received a decision yet (this includes both offers of admission and denials). The rest (which will also include offers of admission and denials) will be sent by the end of the month.</p>

<p>I can assure you the College of Engineering is completely full. It’s also important to note that you aren’t actually being reviewed by a specific college. You are being reviewed by the Office of Admissions for admission to TAMU. If you are admitted and your majors are full, you’ll be asked to choose a major that’s not full in order to accept your offer. </p>

<p>Take care guys…2 weeks.</p>

<p>And, which school of texas a&m university I should attend to have a chance changing back into CoE in the next semester? Chemistry-BS, for instance, is a good choice? Thank you so so much guys!</p>

<p>Dzoikoan 96, the admissions person at the Tex Ag forum does not really support the idea of coming to A and M and then changing major to COE. Unlike other schools, its really hard to change majors at A and M especially into majors at COE. If I were you, I would go to another school that has your major like LSU or University of Tulsa for example and then transfer in after a year or two. I also plan on doing that. </p>