Class of 2019 Decisions

@Robgal74‌ I’m leaning towards UB too!

I must say I’m fed up with binghamton. I finally heard back today, and I was rejected from SOM but accepted into Harpur. This has been such a long and annoying process from a school that I feel has a flawed admissions process. I’ve already been accepted into other SUNY school’s honors colleges with generous scholarships. I’ve also been accepted into Michigan State’s Honors College and the University of Michigan (which was a complete surprise). Oh well, at this point I’m done with Binghamton and onto better things.

^UMich too! But it’ll be too expensive for me.

Beczhou I agree it is super expensive at UofM which is why Binghamton was such a great option for me because of my instate residency.

I’m so done with Binghamton. In the end, after being deferred they rejected me from SOM and offered me admission to Harpur. Like I would possibly be interested now.

That makes the 3 of us!

I KNEW DEFERRED STUDENTS AREN’T TREATED EQUALLY X(

Daughter status changed to accepted SOM this evening! I wish she was as excited as me.

Can those that have heard after being deferred post stats? Still waiting on SOM/deferred/ long Island…

Honestly, I’m confused as to why everyone is freaking out. You do realize that the notification deadline is APRIL 1st, so they’re telling you in a pretty timely manner. To consider another school just because you don’t feel like waiting is completely ridiculous…

Rejected after being deffered SOM, offered admission to harpur.

28 ACT
98 Avg.
Top 5% of class
8 AP classes
Work/volunteer/leadership positions
Accepted to UMich, syracuse(honors), fordham, penn state, delaware, maryland

Deferred still waiting

1840 SAT
27 ACT
104.1 weighted GPA
41st in a class of 875
5 seasons of Varsity Rowing
7 APs
NHS
Pretty good essay
Good letters of rec.
Mission trips every summer
Summer job
Accepted to UAlbany, SBU, UB, Geneseo and Manhattan College, just waiting on Binghamton… >.<

Accepted School of Engineering

4.0 unweighted
Ranked 2/154
Will take all the AP courses available (3!) at our school, 5 on APUSH but the other two will be this spring
SAT I 780 M/ 680 CR/ 680 W
SAT II 780 Chemistry 770 Math 1 800 US History

4 years varsity football, state scholar/athlete of the year
All state chorus
All Eastern chorus
School musical 4 years
Varsity track 3 years
Odyssey of the Mind 6th at worlds
NHS, Key Club, lots of volunteer hours at church

Also accepted at UB honors, waiting on UVA, RPI, (reach!) Cornell, and (reachy reach!) MIT

@seld00n

You’re a bit misinformed here. I’m going to assume your numbers are right (I don’t actually know if it’s 200, but let’s assume it is) - that is the number of freshman entering the School of Management, not the number of freshman that get into the School of Management. Keep in mind, Binghamton does not have a 100% yield. A large proportion of their acceptances choose to go to school elsewhere. According to bloomberg, Binghamton SOM has a 21% yield (http://www.bloomberg.com/bschools/rankings/undergraduate_mba_profiles/binghamton.html). Taking that into account, the School of Management would accept about 1,000 freshman, assuming 200 will enroll.

What’s the disadvantage of being offered admission to Harpur then guaranteed transfer to SOM sophomore year?

Will they keep their word when I apply for intra-transfer???

My oldest son tried to transfer from Harpur to SOM twice during his 4 yrs at Binghamton without success (Class of 2012). He was told that he needed at least a 3.8 to even have a chance of being accepted to SOM. However, he initially applied to Harpur so it was not the same situation that you are describing regarding a guaranteed transfer to SOM sophomore year. I would ask for more details regarding the “guaranteed” transfer – minimum GPA required? Fall of Sophomore year or might it be Spring?.

The email stated that its a guaranteed transfer fall of soph year if I’m able to maintain a 3.5 from the first year at Hapur, and am required to take macro/micro & statistics the first year.

If you can pay your deposit, can it mean that you were accepted?

most likely

Sorry Seld00n but your not so subtle stab at Geneseo is off target. That is a stronger school for most undergrad’s and they attract strong students. I imagine their yield to be better than Binghamton’s. Binghamton is trying to increase its numbers too fast, is busting at the seams and has a deplorable student faculty ratio that is resulting in the angst expressed here. The staff issues are not confined to admissions or to advising. Binghamton has strengths of course but it seems off track right now.

And Seld00n the school does not get to claim that its selling point is that it is cheap (and cheaper then going to out of state strong flagships) and then also claim that applicants ought not be swayed by the financial offers of other schools. Ya can’t have it both ways! Is or is not the money relevant to decisions. If not, Michigan puts Binghamton to shame.