Class of 2019 Decisions

<p>I dunno, my boyfriend was deferred when we were incoming freshmen and I think we figured out that we heard the same week. I get that college decision time is basically the most stressful, intense, agonizing wait period that you’ve probably experienced thus far in life, though, so feel free to vent.</p>

<p>If I had to guess, it seems that Binghamton must have ranked students by GPA and SAT scores (and perhaps in state and out of state distinction) and then sent out acceptances based on these rankings. Perhaps they felt they did not need to closely review the application (courses taken, essay, etc.) for those students with the highest stats and now need to do so for the remaining applications. It would explain why no one has heard of anyone being deferrred or rejected at this point. </p>

<p>which is fine. my problem is the runaround you get when you call. got three different stories so far from their office. the troof is becoming difficult in nys</p>

<p>I don’t think it is fine. It’s basically a deferral for all other EA applicants who haven’t heard. What was the rush to get this first batch out? Why couldn’t they have waited until January to release to all EA applicants? Really think it’s time for Binghamton to go the ED route.</p>

<p>@NYMom‌ - It’s not a deferral. Typically rolling admission is just that, they review apps as they come in and roll out decisions on an ongoing basis. Bing never said it did rolling and obviously decided to do it late in the game, so they prioritized their top candidates (on whatever basis, most seem to have high stats but there are exceptions) and then they’re likely plowing through and will batch out acceptances now through 1/15 as they said and then at the very end they’ll likely notify people who are rejected or deferred into the general pool. </p>

<p>I don’t think they’re going to get enough info on yield from this early group since many people will be waiting till March/April to hear from other schools, but Bing may be acting strategically to notify a subset of their highest-priority candidates early in hopes of convincing some of them to skip submitting applications to other schools ahead of 1/1 and 1/15 deadlines. </p>

<p>This approach is used by many big state schools – I heard from UVM almost immediately after I submitted with a yes, but other people I know just got decisions. For me, UVM was a safety, but I did knock another safety off my list once that decision was in hand. The thing is, safety schools sometimes rise above the pack by wooing candidates with big money, so Bing may think it’s smart to hit those top folks up early so that they never apply and get those attractive competing offers. It wouldn’t surprise me if they were also trying to block apps to other SUNYs, esp. where candidates are strong and interested in fields that those other schools are known for (e.g., STEM at Stony Brook).</p>

<p>I think the main problem is that Bing switched its approach from past years and this decision was made after the EA deadline without advance communication. UVM is very clear about the fact that some candidates are “VIP” and that they will hear on an accelerated timetable, with most people who applied EA getting decisions in mid-December. So there’s no surprise or confusion when that happens. I’m not upset that Bing did this (it’s great for those who learned early esp. if it saves them time and money applying to lower-choice schools). But they did a lousy job communicating to applicants and parents, and it would be nice if they sent an email out updating applicants about the situation and the process, so people don’t get knotted up about it.</p>

<p>Status just changed to decision made and I can pay my deposit. Looks like they’re going to send out decisions randomly from now until Jan 15th. </p>

<p>JimToh, Binghamton is not a Tech school! It has historically been strongest in the humanities-less so STEM! That is not a criticism, by the way Rebecca, it is just the case that it had very strong humanities, especially English. Lacking a medical center and far from a research oriented hospital, focusing on humanities made sense. And humanities continue to be among Binghamton’s strengths. Consider the strong US NEWS rankings for history (56) and English (63) compared to biology (164), chemistry (148) engineering (124) and nursing (193). Given Harpur College’s history of liberal arts, it is nice to see them retain the focus on humanities. </p>

<p>LuLy, US News lists Binghamton as rolling so I don’t think they decided this just recently.</p>

<p>rolling what? rolling admissions gets all decisions out, not just cherry picking admits. </p>

<p>Am curious what “profile” Binghamton accepted in their first round of admissions to the School of Management. </p>

<p>Weighted GPA: 103.19
Rank: Top 10% at a nationally ranked public school on Long Island
Rigorous schedule all 4 years: IB Diploma Candidate + taken AP World History, APUSH, AP Stats
ACT: 27 Math, 27 Reading </p>

<p>I’m just afraid that my ACT scores are a little low but I’m still hopeful to get accepted EA. What do y’all think?</p>

<p>i think if you said y’all in your essay you’re looking at farmington. if not you’re in.</p>

<p>HAHA^ I didn’t write y’all. I like your sense of humor and thank you for responding.</p>

<p>My two kids applied at the same time. They have nearly identical grades, activities, sports, awards, … One got accepted Saturday, the other yesterday. It does look like they will be sending acceptances on an ongoing basis. </p>

<p>“Rebecca, it is just the case that it had very strong humanities, especially English”</p>

<p>Is this for me? I know, I was an English and history major :slight_smile: Anyone who goes into Binghamton thinking of it as a tech school is going to be sorely disappointed when they see the computer labs, haha. </p>

<p>I doubt the theory that proposes the highest ranked applicants are getting accepted first.
I have a 2100 3.9/4.2 and am in the top 10%. I haven’t received an acceptance while my peers with 1900s and 3.5s have</p>

<p>At this point, there seems to be no rhyme or reason though it is very strange that no one has been deferred or rejected. Daughter was just notified of large scholarship to UVM While she still hopes to eventually hear from Binghamton with an acceptance she is now seriously considering UVM.</p>

<p>My daughter also applied Early Action but has still not heard. She is in-state, has 3.7 (weighted) with rigorous courses and 1360 (M & CR) from competitive public high school. Perhaps the problem is she applied to SOM which appears to be the most competitive college to get into within Binghamton University. Hope she receives acceptance in the next round of the Early Action.</p>

<p>I’d guess they start with the students they think are most likely to accept. So those that have stats higher or lower than their usual stats may not hear first. This is just a guess based on the idea that yield seems to have become increasingly important to these schools. </p>

<p>Based on my daughter’s friends who have been accepted, I disagree @lostaccount‌. Most, if not all, of her friends who have heard have used Binghamton as their safety/SUNY school and have already declared they have no desire to attend.</p>

<p>Out of state</p>