Class of 2019 Scholarships and Honors

<p>Does anybody know around what time we will learn about if we have received any scholarships or been invited to the Honors program? Is it earlier if you have been accepted through EA?</p>

<p>I hope it’s soon because I was admitted EA and they expect me to pay $41k/year (out of state). I emailed them but hopefully its before the end of the year.</p>

<p>I looked at the boards from last year but I couldn’t find anything helpful. Hopefully soon! @banquo</p>

<p>@keagle23‌
Check their website, I think the largest of the merit scholarships go out now until the beginning of January. Others won’t be decided until february. Also, I think there might be a supplemental scholarship form somewhere as well…</p>

<p>Here are two threads from last year discussing merit scholarships.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/1596607-scholarships-trustees-and-pres.html#latest”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/1596607-scholarships-trustees-and-pres.html#latest&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/1619648-merit-scholarships-p1.html”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/1619648-merit-scholarships-p1.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I think I got my scholarships in Janurary.</p>

<p>Also if you get invited to the Honors College decline the offer. It’s pointless and it takes time away from your academics which is a hundred times more important </p>

<p>@boxofcereals‌ why would you say that?</p>

<p>D got her scholarship letter today.</p>

<p>@isaelijohjac‌ Congrats! Was it the trustees scholarship? Did you get it through mail or email?</p>

<p>I found a list of scholarships and estimated notification dates on the website: <a href=“Freshman Scholarships - Undergraduate Admissions - Purdue University”>http://admissions.purdue.edu/costsandfinaid/freshman.php&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>@phoebecaulfield‌ yes trustees in the mail. We are in Indiana.</p>

<p>Yikes! Mail will take a couple more days to get out here. Are they probably all sent out already?</p>

<p>@ARandomGeek There is a supplemental scholarship form on Purdue’s website. It’s due by February and it’s worth completing - I received two or three small scholarships from it. Lots of incoming students don’t know about it, so your chances are up for completing it.</p>

<p>@boxofcereals Yes, the Honors College can be a waste of time. It’s not set up well yet since it’s only two years old. Before the college there was an Honors Program, but it was simpler. Here are the pros and cons of the Honors College from my point of view. (I’m a commuting freshman in elementary education for reference.)</p>

<p>Pros:
*Priority registration after first semester if you keep your GPA at 3.5 or above
*Some networking opportunities if you’re really motivated about taking advantage of them (I’m not.)
*You get a “gold star” so to speak on your diploma (which is great for me since it’s hard to get a teaching job)
*Chances to take classes from the best professors at Purdue
*With the right professor, honors public speaking (COM 114H) is super easy! :slight_smile:
*Research opportunities (at least for education majors)
*You get to live in Shreve. I’m a commuter students so I don’t know exactly how wonderful this is, but the impression I get from other students is that it’s a tightly knit community.</p>

<p>Cons:
*The vague senior thesis/scholarly project that no one knows anything about (including advisers)
*The HONR designated courses you have to take really don’t contribute much to your college experience
*Lots of people in the honors college are intellectual snobs (I may get this impression simply because they look down on my particular major)
*I’ve heard that honors engineering can kill you
*The honors courses clutter up your schedule when you could be taking classes to work toward your major or ones that you just enjoy (I’d be taking Russian if it weren’t for the honors college)
*Many majors don’t have enough “H denoted” classes to meet the honors college’s requirements, so you have to sign honors contracts with professors for some classes. I haven’t done one of these yet but it sounds like more work, not more meaningful work.</p>

<p>Overall for me, the Honors College was mildly worth it, because it helps make me employable and doesn’t require too much extra work. I personally really like priority registration. I was able to get all the classes I wanted in the time slots that I wanted. Really, you just have to weigh the pros and cons respective to your situation.</p>

<p>I received my notification for the Emerging Leader Scholarship today. 10,000 annually. Indiana, in the mail. I’ve actually never even heard of it before today. </p>

<p>@runner019‌ Does the supplemental scholarship app require essays?
And I was really hoping to get in the honors program for engineering in order to get out in four years rather than the usual five, as I’ve heard. Do you think it’s worth it?</p>

<p>@phoebecaulfield:</p>

<p>The honors program won’t really help you graduate in 4 years over the normal program imo. I’ve never had problems with my classes being too full to register for. Just plan your schedule out well and you should be ok. </p>

<p>@Seirsly‌ what worries me is that Purdue has a 4 year grad rate of 38% :0
Is that because it’s hard to get classes or because a lot of people fail classes?</p>

<p>@phoebecaulfield No, it didn’t require essays, as I recall. It was really simple.</p>

<p>I can’t personally speak to how worth it honors engineering is. I’ve heard from others that they wouldn’t go back and do it again, but some of the sophomores say that it’s just freshman year that is a real killer. But like I said, it’s all secondhand knowledge.</p>

<p>@phoebecaulfield‌ : it’s almost 50% now. </p>

<p>A lot of people change majors and a few fail classes and a few suck at scheduling. </p>

<p>Many/Most Engineering majors work co-op for a while, necessitating longer graduation times. Purdue’s (WL) 5 year graduation rate has been between 63% and 70% since 2002 and its 6 year graduation rate has been between 69% and 71% during this time.</p>