Class of 2020- Admission Status

Would really want to know this… I got accepted in Mechancial Engineering… but my going to college depends a lot on the scholarship i get. So if i accept the offer now by paying for NSC but some other univ. say UT Austin or Cornell is giving me a better scholarship or for that matter even UT Dallas, then can i take leave TAMU and accept the other univ offer as well. Basically if i pay for NSC , then is it legally correct to pay for another univ on grounds that they are giving a better scholarship?. Please help.

@hoping4admit You cannot apply for housing until you have been admitted to the university. You could not have applied any early.

@missionary2020 While your test scores are good, you class rank is low. Why did you choose to graduate high school in 3 years? That could be read in one of two ways. As a positive, you are a highly motivated student. As a negative, you are a person who doesn’t like school and wanted to rush through it as fast as possible. Hopefully you explained that well in your essay.

My apologies to the group. We did apply to housing the day he was admitted to TAMU (nov 6),t is UT who allows you to apply for housing after the application but do not receive a housing contract until after admission. I got the UT and TAMU housing procedure mixed up and apologize for the confusion.

@CollegeMama987 @AGmomx2 Thank you for confirming that waiting to apply for housing wasn’t a mistake. I listed White Creek then Hullabaloo so I should be good for all possibilities? Please tell me if I have this right:
If someone backs out and I am next on the list, they assign whatever they had (which could be not anything I really want), and if the next person to drop out is from Hullabaloo, the next person waiting will get Hullabaloo (as long as they did not only have cheaper dorms listed?) How does it work if you list a roommate now and they listed someone else before that later decides not to go? The roommates were both admitted in September and one goes to somewhere else.

@pk2608 I think as long as you are willing to lose deposits according to whatever each school says, it is ethical to accept more than one offer, as long as you go back to the first one and withdraw your acceptance when you know you are going somewhere else. There is a discussion of this on TexAgs under “question Regarding accepting Admission” https://texags.com/forums/17/topics/2717500 .

@hoping4admit i’m not sure. I actually wasn’t checking because I wasn’t expecting to hear anything(I thought you didn’t find out til later like other schools I applied to). I ended up getting my actual admission packet and letter in the mail first! Then I checked AIS and Howdy!

Congrats on Gateway @hoping4admit !!! If you don’t mind me asking, can you share your GPA? My daughter is really hoping to get Gateway next year, if not full admission. (My son was admitted for the class of 2020 already, and she’s a year behind him.)

@CollegeMama987 where can i fing the average freshman sat/act scores for Electrical/Computer engineering? Is it possible?

Also, I haven’t yet applied for housing but I haven’t been accepted yet? Should I apply or not? Because the previous posts confused me.

@GustafAngus All of the stats can be found here. I got the biomedical stats from a letter they sent out to the admitted students. Look around page 9 and 24. The mean for the engineering college is about a 29. But page 24 is a bit more informative as it shows that as your class rank drops, the mean ACT goes up. In other words, if your class rank is poor, you’ll need a higher ACT to compensate.

http://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student/files/F14-Norm-Book.aspx

@texashsmom my GPA 4.79. School doesn’t rank.
A&M put me in second quarter on AIS which was really disappointing.
My counselor told me to check with admissions. They said I was very close to 1st quarter and they do have a number they calculate so they know more than quarter for unranked. I believe I was 26-30 % ish. They say GPA. Is only considered if you are unranked and only for the calculation then they ignore. Hope this helps!

@CollegeMama987 I have a 1260 SAT, 600 reading and a 660 math. I also have a 28 ACT, 29 english and 33 math. It would seem that all my scores fall directly in the mean of the engineering stats. The only “plus” I have is the 33 math score in the ACT. Funny enough, they only look at 1 test type… I wounder which one they’ll look at, my act or sat.
Well, let’s hope for the best. Thanks! :slight_smile:

@GustafAngus Hoping for the best for you. I know how hard it is to be told 2Q is not good when you go to a good school and make good grades.

What do you guys think my chances are for gateway or blinn team, I don’t think I’m going to get full acceptance at this point
I applied on 8/19
I am currently a senior in high school and am ranked 148/880(1st quarter) with a 3.83 gpa, and I have an SAT score of a 1570(M+CR is 1050) with an ACT score of a 23, I also have taken many AP and pre-ap classes, and have been heavily involved in extracurricular activities all throughout high school.
Yearbook for 3 years, 2 have been as an editor
Key Club for 3 years (volunteering organization) have held an officer position for all 3 years
FFA- for 2 years
I also have a job at a veterinary clinic(18 hours a week)
biomedical science was 1st choice major
animal science was 2nd choice major

I’m so stressed out about this!! I really am hoping for some form of admission to A&M!!

@LizLiz7631 I think Blinn is if you are close on the rank / scores, and essays are good and Gateway is a little more forgiving on rank and scores but they really are impressed by your essays. I think most people have good ECs but something outstanding might help. I worked very hard on my essays so I think that helped getting Gateway. Your rank is strong - that should help. Did you write the 3rd essay? Good luck!

My understanding of Gateway is that it is awarded to those who might need to ease into college life due to extenuating circumstances- which vary widely from person to person. It isn’t just the next group of admits after full admits, that would be Blinn Team.

The way housing works for roommates is the group both move down to the last person’s priority. So if your chosen roommate applied in September & you apply in January, you both move down to January. Also many people don’t get what they put down on their housing preferences - there are only 3 choices on the list and many more dorms. Don’t worry, there are lots of pluses you will find whatever housing you end up in. Sometimes what you think is the worst housing ends up creating the best of friends :wink:

Chance me. Applied Engineering (1st choice), business (second choice). ACT 25, Extremely good essays (all three), Great recommendation, Class rank 55th percentile, GPA 3.5 (weighted), 9 AP classes, Applied Sept. Still waiting. AIS says Under Review. Will be happy with gateway, blinn engineering or blinn team. In state. Let me know.

I agree Gateway is chosen differently. That is why I said I think essays are very important. They give cancer and homelessness as examples, but I know gateway students who were totally committed to teaching or serving in medicine. Your circumstances could be you don’t look super fabulous with your test scores, but something about your application moves them to give you a chance. You have a “risk factor” That is why you start early and have to pass summer classes to stay.