Class of 2020- Admission Status

@niccidoe if I were you, I would call in advance. Planning a trip from OOS to visit is a reason to call, let them know it is your #1 choice. You can ask when they might have a decision on your file, you might not get an answer but having it noted that you are interested & coming to visit from OOS is only going to reflect positively. It’s great that people are sharing their information, but it is positive to show interest if you have a legit reason to call.

@niccidoe I agree that there is no downside to calling. I called twice and still was admitted.

Thanks @hoping4admit and @AGmomx2 . That’s sound advice! Since I’m an hour ahead, I might try this afternoon.

I called just now and they told me all decisions will be out mid-late MARCH. Not February, which was weird. But anyway, I figure I can’t do nothing but wait…

BTW, can anyone tell me how competitive Electrical and computer engineering is? I know Petroleum, Chemical, Nuclear engineering are very popular, but looking at the departments at A&M and other schools as well, I see that Computer & Electrical engineering usually have the highest number of students in the engineering department.

@GustafAngus
There are stats on the A&M engineering website that tell you accepted from general engineering http://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/resources/analysis-fall-2015-admission-cycle

A semi reliable friend in college says that colleges don’t care about dual grades from hs once you’re in. They just give credit. Is this true?

@hoping4admit Oh wow, that’s encouraging. Electrical engineering has a 80% acceptance rate, and Computer engineering has 92%!

http://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/resources/analysis-fall-2015-admission-cycle/computer-engineering-electrical-engineering-track

So if I’m admitted to A&M and put in engineering review, I have a good chance of getting into either? (Comp is my 1st choice, electrical 2nd)

If you don’t mind me asking, what is your gpa/class rank and when did you apply?

@GustafAngus I think that when you are admitted to engineering at A&M you don’t have a specific engineering major at first just a preference and everybody takes the same classes freshman year. Then you apply to your chosen engineering major while a freshman and those are the stats linked.
I think admission to A&M is first. (Not based on major). Admission to Engineering with a preference is second. ( that is the Engineering Review decision) and then after you attend and have made some grades and heard about all kinds of engr you apply for specific major. That is what I understood when it was explained to me.

@hoping4admit Yes, your GPA is generated from the school you attend for your college degree. Other college credits are just credits, not counted in your GPA.

@AGmomx2 thank you.

Wishing everyone good luck on the Tuesday night update.

@hoping4admit

Do you know what time updates are sent out?

I spoke with admissions…my reason was to check on 2nd Q grade submission (which they don’t request nor will look at). But I inquired about the possibility of decisions being made before my visit on the 11th. I was told there’s no way of knowing because it could be any day from tomorrow to late March! Ugh. So I wait.

Also, as I’ve read older posts about this topic, I’ve noticed that decisions made this late in the process (other than engineering) are usually Blinn, PSA, or rejection. And I know we’re suppose to be grateful for the first two, but I’m hoping for Full. I’m sort of losing hope for that however :frowning:

@niccidoe I wouldn’t give up hope yet! Your stats are good for the College of Liberal Arts. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

This wait is AGONIZING! The inconsistency of information given by different admissions personnel is making me crazy. My daughter has already been admitted to Baylor but A&M is her first choice. I guess we’ll just wait patiently. We’ve already waited 6 months. What’s a few more weeks?

Thanks for the encouragement @CollegeMama987 ! My stats are fine but not great which I’m surprised I’ve been accepted to the schools I’ve so far heard from – four of which have lower acceptance rates than A&M (if those rates actually mean anything). It’s torture to say the least! Hopefully those of us still waiting will know something tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

@hoping4admit yes, you’re right, Those are statistics for students who are already at A&M and not incoming freshmen. Sorry about that.

@MJ5670 i believe AIS is updated nightly at around 0:00 their time.

Yep, the wait is gut-wrenching. I applied to schools in the south mostly, as I was born in Virginia, but I’ve lived in Europe for 18 years now. I just can’t wait to go back to the States, and Texas is my first choice. I mean, the food, the music, the culture! :smiley:

@GustafAngus 18 years living in Europe?? I love vacationing there, but after a month I was ready to come back home to more comfort and ice cubes! My parents are from Texas, but moved to Boston before I was born. I love Texas and yes, the food, culture, and hospitality are unmatched. I guess I could go to SMU (or UT) if I don’t get into A&M, but I don’t know if that’s worth it…I’m guessing neither one would be the same experience as A&M (plus, my parents told me that I’d have no budget left to have fun if I went to SMU)!

About a week ago I called admissions and they told me business was filled in November, but others here have said they were admitted to business in December. I’m very confused, does anyone think there’s still a possibility for full admission into the business school at this point?