Class of 2020- Admission Status

@Amortech Thank you so much. I thought that it sounded way too soon for a freshman housing deadline.

I was admitted to Galveston Dwight Look College of Engineering today.

Is this a good or bad thing?

Also, is it possible for me to ask the admission officers to reevaluate my application for the general studies major in the Department of General Academic Programs?

I would strongly consider TAMU if I could get into College Station undeclared. I would rather transfer within college station from undeclared to engineering than from galveston.

Can someone tell me my chances of getting in at this point ?
I applied August 1st and I am a review applicant
SAT: 1740 CR/M: 1170 ACT: 26
Top 16% (130/807) GPA: 4.3 weighted
Many extra curriculars and leadership
-class treasurer, NHS treasurer, founder and president of club
Do I have a good shot ?

@SriCS123 It it is VERY hard to get into Engineering from another major in CS. I think it will be even harder with a full class of Engineering Academy at Blinn and COE at GV in the pipeline ahead of you. You cannot apply / declare general studies as a freshman at CS. The only thing similar to general studies are Blinn TEAM and Gateway, and you have to be selected for those.

Here is a link to what @Bluemoon3 mentioned regarding Galveston Engineering to COE in CS - looks like you just apply for a major as if you are in CS. https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/engineering-at-galveston Only applies to students who start Fall 2106 or later. Similar for Blinn Engineering Academy. Higher GPA=more guarantees.

So if I can get a 3.5 CGPA my first semester and finish all of my required courses am I guaranteed admission spring/summer semester freshman to College Station or just a CS major at Galveston?

PSA
1340/1910
390/867
Applied for Computer Science

@mmalota Looking at stats of freshmen from last year, you seem to be a good candidate for BIMS. But I have no idea how many full admissions are still left and A&M had many more applicants this year. Good luck!

@SriCS123 In reading the page @hoping4admit linked it looks like you would apply to a major during your second semester in Galveston. So I read it as a minimum of two semesters there. I also agree that trying to transfer into engineering from another major can be very tough. Lots of references on last year’s TexAgs forum on admissions advising against that.

If you are going to look into this further, I would get as much information about the process of application to a major: Will you be on equal footing with students who have done their first two semesters at College Station as they also are applying to their majors at the same time. I would also make sure that all the engineering majors are open to you as they are guaranteeing your first choice with a gpa of 3.5 or up.

Finally, there is not a CS major at Galveston. The only engineering school major at Galveston is Ocean Engineering

Sorry for the Delay but here are my stats:
Decision: Full admission Coms
Class rank: 190/705
Gpa: 4.45weighted 3.5 unweighted
SAT composite: 1210
Resume:
Honors/Awards­-

­American Legion school award­ 2009
­ZOI­ Citizen of the year award. ­ 5/2013
­RRISD Volunteer of the year award ­ 5/2015 ­RRISD Mentor of the year award ­ 5/2015
­Boys State Delegate ­ 6/2015
­ Dragon Lacrosse MVP ­ 2014 and 2015
­Thsll All­District Lacrosse ­ 2014
­Thsll All­District Honorable Mention Lacrosse ­ 2015
Leadership­-

­ Co­Founder of an ALS charity (250k raised for ALS in 4 years, over 500 hours of community service) 2011­-present
­ Executive and Founding Member of Dragon Nation (Spirit Council And PR team for Round Rock High School) 2014­ Present
­ PALS VP 2014­Present
­ RRHS Lacrosse Captain 2014­Present.

School Activities­-

­ Theatre 2012­2014
­ Choir 2012­2014
­ Lacrosse (Varsity) 2012­Present
­ Dragon Nation Spirit Council­ 2014­ Present
­ PALS (Peer Assistance Leadership) 2014­ Present
­ RRISD Public Speaker on Leadership 2015­ Present

Work Experience­
­ ALS charity I started (501c3 Non­Profit) 2009­ Present
­ California VC Firm Summer Intern­ 2015
­Lacrosse Labs ( 1 on 1 private Lacrosse instruction) 2015­ Present
­ Round Rock Youth Lacrosse Coach­ 2012­ Present
­ Server Assistant at Z’Tejas­ 2014
Wrote all three essays. One of them being about my dad passing away of ALS and the struggle of that through high school.

congrats @Mikej45

Did anyone hear anything last night? I heard they were supposed to be updating every night now not just Tuesday’s and Thursday’s.

I don’t think that class rank is A&M’s determining factor, I think that you have to have a strong ACT score or SAT score, and that is what they look at more than anything. I’m in the top 10.6% of my class at a large competitive Texas high school, have over 400 service hours, in athletics and several extracurriculars where I hold an office, turned in 3 great recommendations, and still haven’t heard anything back, I’m sure because my test scores are more average. I have decided to go out of state since my major is filled at A&M. I’m super excited about my decision, it has all worked out, but really thought it wouldn’t be so difficult to get into A&M. I’m a business major.

I agree with @HappyMix16. I think that they really don’t look at top 11% or top 25% that differently. I think they just consider them both top quarter and compare their SAT and ACT scores. I’ve heard of tons of in-state public High School students who don’t get in and are barely outside of the top 10%.

@HappyMix16 Congrats on your decision. I hope you make the best of it! For A&M if you are not the top 10% then the test scores are very important. You were so close.

Good luck and I believe it always works out and most students make the best of where they end up.

My son applied for business. He checked yesterday. The web page changed to “admitted”. However, the college/major is “undeclared”. What this mean?

I agree with 11% vs 24% on rank may not matter much, but 2Q is close to a deal killer. TAMU looks like a much easier school to get in than it really is if you are not top 10%. I would not be surprised if 13% review to full is even lower this year. Everything really matters - rank (Q1), scores, essays, ECs. Best wishes @HappyMix16 @mattexas I have my fingers crossed for you.

@ponedaymore That means since business is full ( November or December depends who you talk to) and his 2nd choice must be full also, he has to choose a new major to accept his admission.

@ponedaymore Congrats on your son getting admitted! What was his second choice major?

Hi,
Can y’all tell me if you think I even have a chance to get in?
ACT- 31, with a 36 on reading and English, but a 24 on math
GPA- 3.9 weighted, 3.5 unweighted
Major applied for- Psychology, Bachelor of Science
AP Exam scores- Psychology: 4 US History: 2 English 3: 5
Extracurriculars- Choir for 4 years, tennis, horseback riding and volunteering at homeless shelter
High School (i don’t know if this means anything)- Westlake High School
I turned in my essays late November, a few days before the deadline.
TAMU is my first choice and the only school I can picture myself going to.