Class of 2020- Admission Status

One small mistake in my previous post. I meant to say that we still have tomorrow and Friday before the week runs out. For some reason, I thought today was Thursday. I guess I am overthinking this and I need a break!

When does merit based aid information get released? Does scholarship info come with the letter of acceptance?

I believe merit scholarship information comes in the early spring (middle of February?) and then need based aid comes later in the spring after the FAFSA. Please correct me if I’m wrong. This is based off my memory of reading another thread.

Dang, that’s a long wait. Some schools like Alabama sent that info with the letter of acceptance

Alabama gives automatic merit aid. I don’t think A&M gives any automatic merit, so they wait until everyone has a chance to apply for merit awards and then decide.

@txp0319 it has felt like Thursday all day to me too! I think it is because I expect this to come out Friday.

Looking at last year’s thread, it looks like most people posted early Friday evening.

So it usually updates in the evening?

I can’t answer usually. I can only look at past threads. So far, I have not delved that deep. I can only say last year on this Friday people started posting around 5:00 - 9:00 pm. Maybe they got it earlier and did not post until then, maybe not.

@ItsOVO, last year my son got his first merit based scholarship notice from A&M in October. The letter is dated October 20, and the envelope is postmarked October 23. I don’t recall if he got any notice by email or on the portal. He applied really early and had already been accepted well before that.

My experience is that the vast majority of merit scholarships go out after the application deadline. Mine got one of his a week after the close of applications - that was back when the close date was in January. Then got another later. There are a few exceptions - NMF often get theirs much sooner, and a few others. @Barfly was his a NM award?

The scholarships all show up on the portal eventually, some you get notification by snail mail, some by phone call, some on student email account and others magically appear on the finance portal. We’ve experienced all of these methods between my two kids. The scholarships are decided by various committees (not just one), so their methods of notification & timing all vary.

@AGmomx2, that one was not.

One thing we’ve noticed is that scholarships can continue to trickle in all summer and into the school year, and scholarships once offered can be increased, even after the start of the semester, so don’t be discouraged if you don’t hear right away. Two of my Aggies have had this happen. For example, a scholarship for $1000 per semester offered early this summer was just this week increased by $250 per semester. No reason given, but we aren’t going to question it! On the other hand, one of my Aggies never got any more merit money offered after probably late Spring of his senior year in high school. What they offered was it. I’ve never really understood why his siblings continued to get little increases and he did not.

Ha, if you figure out the scholarship system I’ll be extremely impressed! To those applying now, don’t forget outside scholarships - once you’re done with applying for colleges, turn those essays into money by submitting them to various contests & scholarship competitions! Mine continued to apply to scholarships until their senior year…of college! Both have won scholarships in various competitions - give it a try! :slight_smile:

@ItsOVO is there a separate application for merit based scholarships or are is your application automatically considered?

I got admitted!!! Just showed up for me

Wow man congrats. Now I have to check mine lmao.

Nope. Still no news for me. ItsOVO, what did they accept you for? like what major

I was accepted into Mays!

Great job. Mabye you were accepted earlier than the rest because of that test group thing they do. Last year about 30 students from each college were first as a test group. Hopefully other people will have also received their admission.

Just got admitted - Civil Engineering!!! Out of State.