Class of 2020 Questions/Information

@marie122 yes that is where you would send the rec letter anyhow. They use what is on file.

@AGmomx2 Thanks! I wasn’t sure whether I had to send in another letter but even in that case, I would’ve asked the same people and they probably would have given me the same letter as before.

Any of the admitted students got email from TAMU asking for sharing ‘Directory Information’…? Am just a bit worried whether this will bring in a lot of spam especially since my S has an email id exclusively for dealing with college admissions… and so far, it has been squeaky clean.

@osmdad Yes I got a similar email earlier in the week. I followed the link and it allows your email address to be accessed by groups such as Aggie Moms if you give permission. No other personal information was requested.

What about TAMU that you find unique? Why did you choose TAMU but not other schools?

I’m assuming the lack of activity on here means that no review candidates have had decisions recently?

I talked to someone in admissions a week and a half ago, and she said only 72 review admits have been admitted thus far.

@osmdad @K20903

I shot myself in the foot and applyed really late, but I got an email from admission asking if I wanted to send my Directory Information to other TAMU entities. I HAVE NOT been accepted yet.

Does it mean I have good chances for admission, or it was an automatic email from the scholarship application?

@ptrckrggs Sorry, would like to give you an answer but I really don’t know.

same here @ptrckrggs … I really don’t know, though, I really wish it is as you think…

@crazierussia no its not required. there are many students here who have whatever laptop they chose to bring. you’ll be more than good considering your laptop is even more powerful

@KievanRus are you sure that isn’t for the other majors at TAMU?..

@crazierussia I would call the engineering department and ask them to be sure, that would really suck if you didn’y have one on the first week+ of classes.

Laptop policy has been changing over the last 6 years, went from 1)anything you want to 2)suggested criteria to 3)specific models if you can to 4) request for specific models - I’d suggest you ask how firm they are on the requirements for the 16-17 school year. They have been flexible in the past, but that does not mean they will continue. I’d do it in writing, then you have something to fall back on if they okay your model of computer.

@crazierussia The laptop policy, as stated above in a recent comment, has been changing. Considering that I am a freshman in engineering, I can say that many laptops will work. I know people who have different laptops than the ones specified and they are working just fine. It is merely a recommendation because they have the software for those laptops and know what they are capable of in terms of engineering. I use a Macbook pro 13" and I love it. As long as you have a laptop that can handle the software you will be using you should be fine; freshman year you use MATLAB and Labview in the engineering class. You should be fine with what you have!

Sorry, I meant for the engineering school, I’m an engineering freshman and it doesn’t matter what laptop you have, its not mandatory but rather for your own benefit to have a well performing laptop.

@TAMUaggie2019 @KievanRus I am applying to TAMU engineering as a freshman but am under review for the university in general. Were you gusy auto admit or review? Do you think I can get in?

PLEASE HELP!! A&M IS #1 AND I AM SO SCARED

@abcd55985dhd, I was an auto admit. If it helps, I know a friend who wasn’t in the top 10% and applied to become an engineer, he didn’t hear back from TAMU until February or March. He was accepted to the university but not in the college of engineering, so instead he enrolled as a physics major.

@abcd55985dhd I hate to tell you this but if you are still in review for admission the chances aren’t good. My daughter waited and waited and finally chose a different university. She finally heard back at the end of March that she was not admitted. She is so glad she picked a different university earlier. My son is a sophomore engineering student but he was an academic admit that applied the first day and was put into engineering early.

Good luck and I hope you make it!

@KievanRus Oh okay. Thank you so much. I really doubt I will get into the college of engineering so I’m decided if I should switch my major and go to A&M (if I get in) or just choose a different university (like UH or UTD)
@kldat1 :(((((( okay. Thank you so much. I hope I get into the university at least. I’ll just have to wait and see I guess. If you don’t mind me asking, what university did your daughter decide to go to instead?

@abcd55985dhd My daughter ended up going to the University of Arkansas. It actually fit her much better due to the very strong Greek life and smaller university. Many people believe you end up where you are supposed to be. She had the chance to transfer to A&M but said no way. She was way too happy at U of A.

I hope you get into A&M. My son loves it there and it is the right fit for him but was not his first choice. If you don’t get in I’m sure you will succeed and be happy where ever you end up.