Class of 2021 National Merit Thread

Still crickets here although the school district issued a press release the day before yesterday with a link to everyone’s names. I emailed the principal yesterday who told me the GC should be able to help me. No word back yet from GC. It’s getting very frustrating here. I even included in my email that D21 is applying to multiple full ride schools so the application is potentially worth hundreds of thousands of dollars!

Per GC email this morning - “we haven’t heard anything from National Merit”!!! I sent all the links including the press release from our school district with D’s name on it.

Same here, nothing from school yet :frowning:

Is it possible the info was sent to your district office instead of the school? Maybe check there.

D just got an email from GC. Even though we previously saw her name on a list, it is still a relief. I think hearing from them feels like confirmation that they will partner with her on this.

Just emailed the district office with a link to their blog post/press release. Maybe that will get me somewhere. Thanks for the idea!

FWIW - Our son’s large public school in the Bay Area notified students yesterday although we’ve been in school online since mid-August. We had seen his name on a press release and the local paper so we knew. The letter they forwarded as a PDF was addressed to our son from NMSC and dated August 25th. Now there is a two-week scramble to complete items and submit to school by Oct 1 so they can submit by the NM deadline of Oct 7th.

Your child’s letter must be out there somewhere. Good luck with the district!

D21 just got her login info this afternoon and her app is now submitted. It’s all in her GC’s hands now.

Yesterday I finally called the number listed in this thread and confirmed my kid’s NMSF status with them. They recommended the counselor call them at the same number and then they could email them the login info and such. Late in the day, we had a packet on our front porch, which was very sweet of the counselor to drop off. I have a feeling the original mailing is still lost somewhere in the front office.

1 Like

@amsunshine wow that was quick!!! Best wishes to your daughter!

Yay! S21 got his SAT scores from the Aug 29 test. 780 EBRW & 790 Math. His sisters are already harassing him that he didn’t do better :slight_smile:

1 Like

How strict is the NMC in the interpretation of the essay prompt? My S21 wants to use his Common App essay, which is about creative writing (the experience) and what it means to him (which covers the part about getting to know him). His GC doesn’t think the essay fits the prompt because he doesn’t talk about himself enough. This is a “show, don’t tell” essay. I think his voice comes through very clearly in the essay. It sounds just like him, and it’s very good. Anyone have thoughts, or experience, on whether he could possibly be disqualified from being a finalist based on a stricter interpretation of the prompt? We don’t want to take any chances, but I believe strongly that the essay does address the prompt. (I did call NMC today and was basically told it’s up to the student to interpret the prompt, which is about what I expected them to say.)

@Culbreath I wrote my Common App essay (which I used for the NM application) on my love of reading and was still made a NMS. It honestly doesn’t matter too much, as long as it shows you spent time and effort. If your essay, grades, and recommendation are good, you’ll become a NMF (the 1,000 who don’t go on to the next step either don’t complete the application or have bad grades etc.)

Hope that helps!

The school has not given us the login credentials yet. When my daughter called the school this afternoon, she was just told that the GC who was supposed to give her the info is not in school and she has to wait till she comes back. This is so frustrating, less than 2 weeks left now. Don’t know what to do, never felt this helpless.

Same situation here for my S21. I have asked him to shoot an email to his counselor, let’s see what she replies. It’s only 5 kids from his HS, and I wonder why it takes this much delay. Another HS in our district has 40 NMSF kids and heard from our friends that they have received all the info and infact they have a separate google classroom set up just for NMSF kids ?

We finally got acknowledgement from the school that they’re “working on calling NMSC”. Sigh. Hoping to get info by end of week to be able to get this app done!

I hope they are able to get this to you soon! As an fyi, if your kid has completed the activities section of the Common App, and is done with the CA essay, completion of the NMSC application should be fairly quick. There will need to be some editing of information of activities to fit within the shorter character limits, but otherwise, it’s pretty straightforward.

Hello our D21 was selected NMSF and has access to the portal and is working to complete the NMF application. My question is we did not send an SAT score report to NMSC. Should we do so even though its not required?

The August 29 test was the first one she was able to take (been registered for tests since February) and did well.

My daughter is done with her CA essay and activities part, but the problem is two fold. First they have to send the info to the kids and then after the kids are done, they have to do their part. Our public school will never turn on a dime, so it will take them a few days/weeks to process the applications after the kids do their part and turn it back to them.

As @Suave123 mentioned, my child’s school also has only 6 kids but the neighboring school district where they have 48 from just one school is doing just fine. I guess it comes down to priorities.

@BigDaddyJoJoJo I believe I read that confirming SAT scores are not required, and will not be considered, this year. The language was in the student’s instructions.