Class of 2021 National Merit Thread

The letter from NM Corp. arrived yesterday, confirming D’s NMF status. There was no previous call/email/contact of any kind.

3 Likes

Which state?

IL - we live about 10 miles from their HQ in Evanston
P.S. The date on the letter was Feb 8

4 Likes

Wow - slow mail delivery!

My son just found out that he advanced to NMF from his school today. I thought we would have heard around 2/8 or 2/9 at the latest.

2 Likes

I know it’s off-topic but since you’ve mentioned it: slow mail delivery in Chicago is 2 weeks. 2 days is close to the speed of light. Seriously.

1 Like

@jakethecake112 , two years ago my son received the Presidential full tuition scholarship at Miami. He was also NMF, and after much wrangling (Benacquisto was new for OOS students at the time), Miami finally confirmed for me that they would stack Benacquisto on top of the Presidential or any other Miami scholarship, as long as it did not exceed the full cost of attendance at Miami (tuition, room & board, etc…) The Benacquisto is worth about $22,000 at Miami, so added to full tuition you basically should have full cost of attendance! But confirm to make sure their policy has not changed. I found the Financial Aid office more responsive than Admissions, in this regard. Good luck!

2 Likes

Our high school just release a newsletter today to announce the NMF with a notification sent to the kids & parents’ email. Central Texas. Good luck to all who are still waiting for the big news!

6 Likes

Well, no word from D21’s school yet today, and nothing in informed delivery. To be fair, we are in SoCal, so at the current snail mail delivery rates, I guess we will receive our mail sometime next month!

4 Likes

Nothing in FL either =(

2 Likes

We are in Ohio and only know because the school told us. I just checked informed delivery and there is nothing in today’s mail.

1 Like

We are in Georgia, and have not received any information. So, I guess we will have to wait.

2 Likes

Still waiting in NC. Maybe if I go outside and stare at the mailbox, that will help…

3 Likes

LOL! I’m going to try that, too. Last night, we had forgotten to give our dog dinner and she eventually just sat in front of her bowl and barked at it. Voila - her dinner appeared. It worked! :wink:

8 Likes

I couldnt take it anymore so I emailed my son’s principal…the letter was floating around the school somewhere. But he is officially a finalist!

7 Likes

Son’s school announced today that he is a finalist - we are in Vermont. Now to think about how to use it: University of Texas Dallas? Northeastern? RIT? Anyone have words of wisdom about these schools for NMF?

5 Likes

It depends on what your son is interested in, where he feels he will best fit in, and how much your checkbook likes the decision. What’s his major?

Still waiting here in Colorado! I am staring at Informed Delivery and it oddly remains unchanged. I won’t email the counselor or the principal because my S22 would be mortified and he has to go through his college stuff in the fall. :rofl:

2 Likes

He’s interested in computer science, perhaps with some engineering and music mixed in. It’s been hard to figure out what schools are like without visiting!

1 Like

I don’t know much about the music programs at any of these schools. Computer science is strong at all of these schools, as well as engineering. Have you seen the Computer Scholars program at UTD? My D21 will also be a CS major is strongly considering UTD because of that program, which she has already been accepted to.
UTD will likely be the best financial option, as their NM package is pretty much a full ride. I just looked into Northeastern’s NM scholarships briefly and it looks like last year, they added $5k to whatever scholarship your kid was already awarded at admission. I think RIT’s scholarship might be a little smaller than NE, but you’d have to compare the out of pocket expenses after all aid is applied.

Hopefully there will be others who can chime in a little more specifically about NE and RIT.

1 Like