Class of 2021 National Merit Thread

Even though, the bill talks about ending the OOS Benacquisto, it looks like it will be grandfather in.

Right, however, as written, the amount is not grandfathered in. As written, the bill states the amount of the scholarship will be determined each year during budget deliberations.

True. Forgot about that.

1 Like

So at the very least, we know that UF is now a bit of a risk for those in need of the full Benacquisto

Yes, I believe so. Last year, around decision time, I’m sure you can imagine it was difficult given the pandemic was creating an uproar about whether colleges might go under, etc. My daughter’s visits to UF and FSU were cancelled so she had to decide between them sight unseen. There were other reasons she was already leaning against UF, but that email really put the last nail in the coffin.

1 Like

Better late than never, my d21’s GC just emailed her this morning that she received her NMS certificate!

Next up, corporate scholarships are to be sent out on March 10. (D21 won’t be receiving one, but good luck to those who are waiting!)

5 Likes

As I work for employer who sponsors (Boeing) corporate scholarship, how will s21 be notified? Letter? Email?

For the corporate scholarships, I believe they mail out the notifications, but also your s21 should see a portal update as well. You can always contact NMSC to confirm this.

I have seen the mention of said portal a couple times in this thread…however, the only portal we are aware of is where he filled out his NMF application. Are you saying we should have access to some other portal? If so, how do we access this? Thanks in advance…

No, it’s the portal for the application. When your s21 logs in now, he should see things such as: his application was submitted and complete; and his first choice college/option to change first choice college. When the notification of the corporate scholarship comes out, there should be an additional line, I believe, which shows he received it. Right now, there are items numbered 1-3. When your s21 receives the scholarship update, I believe it will be numbered as item number 4.

I’m just going by memory of what has happened in past years. Again, NMSC can confirm how they will notify scholarship recipients this year.

Ok…I thought maybe we were missing some other portal. Thanks again. First time going thru this process :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No problem! Good luck to your s21!

Wanted to share happy unexpected news about my S. He was elated to having been selected as a NMF, but then disappointed that we weren’t more strategic with colleges that offer significant offers to NMFs. This week, he received the full-tuition scholarship from Fordham as a NMF (updated after $30k offer)! We all feel elated, as it was his dream to receive a full-tuition or full-ride offer (from any college he applied to). It’ll be hard to beat this offer!

16 Likes

Congratulations! My son is waiting to hear from some of the schools, but we’re really happy he has the offer of a full ride to UMaine-Orono – that offer will be hard to beat for sure.

3 Likes

That’s amazing! It must feel so rewarding.

It will be a bit ironic if he ends up there, since it was the first application he sent in and the easiest (no essays). He had a very long struggle finishing personal essays for the other applications – STEM kid who can’t understand why he should write about himself!

2 Likes

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

My dd was named a National Merit Scholar today receiving a corporate scholarship. She received the notification via an email this morning.

We’re happy. She turned down a NMSF full tuition scholarship to a good school in favor of her top choice school (grinds teeth :slight_smile: ) so I’m glad she received this award albeit smaller in dollar amount.

6 Likes

Congrats to your D! Does it mean one of your employers’ is a participant of National Merit Sponsors? Is there a limit on this scholarship money from the corporate? Thanks!

Once you receive the corporate scholarship are you still eligible to get the NMF merit scholarship from the schools like BU, USC, Northeastern?

1 Like